Why are people into gaming? And should I get into it?

B

Ballel

I was wondering what the appeal of gaming is.
So many people on here talk about games and genuinely enjoy them.
And I'm just like "what's so interesting about it?!" I never got into gaming and have never in my life felt that I am missing out on something if I don't play games.

Can any of you try to explain the appeal of gaming to me? What do you personally enjoy about it?

And if I were to start getting into gaming, what game would you reccomend me to try first?
Maybe I AM really missing out on something?

Just so that no one misunderstands me: I'm not bashing gamers, I have genuine interest in the reasons you guys have for being into games. Maybe I want to try it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are people into gaming? same as why so many people like anime, it's fun and entertaining.

When i was a child a really liked computers but as 4yo there isn't much you can do on a computer, no documents to edit, taxes to pay or emails to send. so i just played video games on my dad's PC, what games i played didn't matter to me as long as i got to use a computer. i think that was the reason i started playing video games. it's also something i can do and enjoy. reading, writing, painting, watching TV and all other hobbies aren't for me because i have the attention span of a goldfish. but with all the things happening in a video game i have an easy time focusing.

This thread reminds me of the WII ads. you see back then all video games ads were showing the games while the WII was showing people playing, it was more 'How to play a video game' rather than 'This Is what our new game looks like', that's why the WII got so many non players to purchase a console.

If you want to try video games it really depends on you, if you have a friend or sibling that owns a console try playing one of his games. if you're a complete loner get a game you can run on your PC that seems fun to you.

I play games for many reasons :

the gameplay [things like doing combos, mastering mechanics]
the universe
the music
the story

If you like movies, series, animes, books you'll probably find games you'll enjoy

My favs are :

Witcher 3 (amazing story and universe)
Bloodborne (insane gameplay and very unique universe [Lovecraftian])
God of War PS4 (gameplay, graphics)

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Momentarily submerge into a new world trying off new experiences and find out what attraction can be found aside from eventually that. Depending on personal preferences and passions. Some merely love adrenaline, some could love entirely different things and prefer queitness. Online gamers might love interaction or at least the drive to dominate other people or simply experience new typology of gaming.

And I'm just like "what's so interesting about it?!" I never got into gaming and have never in my life felt that I am missing out on something if I don't play games.

Can any of you try to explain the appeal of gaming to me? What do you personally enjoy about it?

And if I were to start getting into gaming, what game would you reccomend me to try first?

Just so that no one misunderstands me: I'm not bashing gamers, I have genuine interest in the reasons you guys have for being into games. Maybe I want to try it too.
Gaming is a sport

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Ubel > Frieren and Fern
Like other people have said, gaming is entertained. It helps you discovered the abilities to solve things. It can be used for sports or education purposes. And if you are bored, games can be a cure for your boredom. In my area, if you don't play games then you're sore loser.

What kind of budget you have by the way, what platform you are going to game on. Whats the equipmemt you are going to use/ willing to pay for. Gaming could be very expensive depending on what kind of exprience you are looking for.

B

Ballel

What kind of budget you have by the way, what platform you are going to game on. Whats the equipmemt you are going to use/ willing to pay for. Gaming could be very expensive depending on what kind of exprience you are looking for.
I'm not going to spend a fortune on something of which I don't know yet whether I like it or not.
So for the beginning I'd just try something that wouldn't require huge consoles etc.

Ps.
You will need a mid-high end PC if you want tp exprience gaming to its fullist. Depending on where you live this could cost you between 2k$-3k$. Some games only exist and are only playable on PC.
Examples: World of warcraft and valorant(will be coming to mobile soon) csgo and some older games like runescape gunz etc.
If you want a casual gaming exprience you can buy a ps5/xbox which will cost you around 800k-1k$ with all the equipmemt which you can play casual/story driven games( you can also do that on pc but a pc obviously costs more), Also gameplay driven games are playable on allplatforms.
Casual games like Call of duty+/ zombies. Fortnite sport games.
Gameplay driven games like doom 2016.
Or story driven games like uncharted or the witcher
There is also role play games mmo and open world like dauntless, Gta v online, monster hunter world
There is also a decent gaming exprience on moblie which is a home to mqny anime based games aswell. Bleach game is great. It also hosts shooters like pubg and cod etc.
Post automatically merged:

Games can be free or cost money obviously. Most mobile games are free and some pc and console games are free yet again it depends on what you are looking for. Maybe you should watch some videos of gameplay before you decide
Post automatically merged:

Gameplay could help you decide on what direction you want to take your gaming to so i would recommened watching some catagories before deciding

The reason why I love games is because it immerses me into another world. Reality is just stressful sometimes. It's like the same reason you watch anime however you get the fight battles and pick your choices and control your character through an adventure. In other words it's more engaging that sitting down watching anime. Do you know how good it feels to solve a puzzle in a video game? Not to mention the brain power it requires? Games can challenge you think, its also good for reading when you get deep into lore's. My vocabulary would be shit if it wasn't games, learned soo many new words.

I honestly spend more of my time gaming that watching anime.

Games are also different just like music and usually you want to find a genre or genres that you like.

I love turn based strategy games because I love planning, out witting my opponents, managing stuff etc. So even if you get into gaming you will need to figure out what you get out of it otherwise it will boring. Like shooting games might be fun some here but I find most annoying with the exception of like 3 of them.

ALI!

Stand on the edge of your dream and fight
Its a way you could have fun with friends, I play lol with my friends a lot, now if you go to google and search "lol community" you will see many articles saying the same thing "it's toxic AF" ... but since I play it with my friends we have a lot of fun even when we lose or do stupid moves, the next day when I see them in college or talk to them in discord we have a laugh about what we did.
long story short: games provide fun times with friends.

Another reason is that sometimes you are sick of watching anime/reading manga or watching movies/TV shows, right? so you want something else for a change, gaming is the perfect change, it gives you a totally different experience.

And if I were to start getting into gaming, what game would you recommend me to try first?
What do you like? do you like building-kind of games? or maybe adventures? or maybe both? do you like competitive environment or chill environment?
There are a lot of game types out there, I'm a difficult guy to satisfy myself but I've always found games that suit me well.

One last thing, the game doesn't matter, playing with someone else is what matters, at least that's my opinion.