Current Events Rayleigh statement doesn't mean in his Prime he would 100% beat Blackbeard

Yes, old Rayleigh can't beat Blackbeard, that has nothing to do with prime Rayleigh.
Just so we are on the same page:
  • There is no possible way I could have won against BB
What does adding "at my age" accomplish here:
  • At my age there is no possible way I could have won against BB
It tells us that he can't possible win against BB because of his old age

Do you agree or disagree with this?

Just so we are on the same page:
  • There is no possible way I could have won against BB
What does adding "at my age" accomplish here:
  • At my age there is no possible way I could have won against BB
It tells us that he can't possible win against BB because of his old age

Do you agree or disagree with this?
The "at my age" is what leaves the statement so vague and open to interpretation, however it is not saying prime Rayleigh could definitively beat Blackbeard, only that old Rayleigh cannot, you can't infer one from the other.

If this was Oda's intent, he could have easily had Rayleigh say something like
"If I was still in my prime I could beat him, but not now that I'm older" etc
Oda's clearly being vague here on purpose

The "at my age" is what leaves the statement so vague and open to interpretation, however it is not saying prime Rayleigh could definitively beat Blackbeard, only that old Rayleigh cannot, you can't infer one from the other.

Oda is always Vague with top tiers beating each other. He has never shown it on screen. Only Akainu vs Akoji which he offscreened. Everything else it was 2 v 1 or shiki lost to weather or interruptions etc... Its just typical Oda Prime Ray vs Current BB is a toss up. He not given an answer eother way or he could of worded it definitely
Post automatically merged:

so Vic is again inventing stuff....TCB was indeed corret...not dam reputation...so basically Ray with the old smoke/prestige made BB back off, and he is confident that in his prime could go head to head with BB and win that simple.
No TCB is the one that had reputation not Viz

--People already rank BB with 2 DFs and base Haki below most of yonkos bar BM. And that has not changed. If this was BB with 3DFs or more then it would be big ray hype. This is basically the same BB with better gura control.

--That being said it looks bad on BB's part and makes him look like a coward

It's clearly saying that the reason is old age which implies that he could if old age wasn't a factor.

I didn't claim he outright said it but the implication is there

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
There is nothing vague about what Rayleigh says. If you say you can't do something because of age, then you're literally implying you'd have done it if you were younger. That's how people in general use that excuse in any language. If age makes no difference, then there is no point in mentioning it in the first place. And if Rayleigh wasn't that good in his prime, it makes no sense for BB to obey Rayleigh knowing full well how old he is.

With the official translation out I thought I'd make a thread about Rayleigh statement this chapter which has people running with Prime Rayleigh>Blackbeard being definitive or set in stone.

The official translations have clear some things up. First Rayleigh never mentions his reputation being the reason Blackbeard retreat and instead says "Particulars of the situation made it possible to save her". This particulars regarding situation had many factors that were unfavourable to Blackbeard with his crew petrified he'd had to take on the Kuja army alongside Rayleigh and Hancock had Rayleigh been able to free her.

Rayleigh also did not state he would beat Blackbeard in his prime, only that "At my age, I couldn't have possibly won in a Head To Head bout against Blackbeard." Rayleigh is basically telling us that in his current state, he has no chance against Blackbeard. Rayleigh's statement does not confirm that if he had been in his prime, he would have defeated Blackbeard, only that he would have had a chance, unlike he has today.
"At my age"

"at my age"
That's enough to end this drama.

Nothing problematic frankly because at the end BB will keep growing.

No
正直言って、あの状況だから助けられたが
私も歳をとった、今の黒ひげに正面からは勝てやしない
Thanks.

I'll praise Madara.

so Vic is again inventing stuff....TCB was indeed corret...not dam reputation...so basically Ray with the old smoke/prestige made BB back off, and he is confident that in his prime could go head to head with BB and win that simple.
It was something obvious.
Rayleigh can gauge people strength so he acts with such as guarantee.

it literally say at my age / im too old he is explaining why he can't win only idiots and haters can't/don't want to understand
age is factor why he cant win also ray has best CoO when it come to knowing how strong peoples/creatures are
if he Thought he couldn't beat him when he was younger he wouldn't sayed any thing about age
also he even in old age he is a treat for any top tier he will lose to most of them but they also will get serious injury

like it or not prime ray is above current teach and most of top tiers (yonko and admirals)
bb is still growing he will surpass even roger and BB with a decent Gap (maybe even large gap if he get an op 3rd df)