Character Discussion Koby seems to be talking about getting the OP overall, this is consistent with his character

While Koby was referring to Luffy in this chapter, it seems he means he is going to take the OP himself cause he knows Luffy can't be trusted overall, hell knowing Koby I can see him locking it up and making sure no one gets it due to the massive power behind it and that fits with his character. Another way to look at it is that Koby could use it to overthrow the WG and instill a democracy, by the people for the people

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Coby know Luffy is a good guy but he's still a pirate. Luffy and Coby's goals are in direct conflict with each other: Coby want to be an admiral to stop pirates, Luffy wants to be pretty much the face of piracy, an occupation that causes suffering to the innocent. Coby would surely want to get OP for the sake of the world.

Yeah it is indeed perfectly in character for Coby to want to get OP before Luffy.

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Coby is on the Admiral path, Luffy is on the PK path, Coby's Admiral path requires him to stop the PK, but in reality he is too big of a Luffy simp so he isn't going to stand on business. Fake hype.

but in reality he is too big of a Luffy simp so he isn't going to stand on business. Fake hype.
He will stand on business. It'll be a stark contrast to him hesitating to fight him in Marineford.
He won't win (duh, not a lot of people beat Luffy in a real fight, he's the MC), but he'll still put a ton of pressure on him.
As far as I can tell its Smoker stans, they want him to be Luffy's rival so bad when its clear that it is Koby now.
Luffy can have multiple rivals, though. Nothing says he can't.
Smoker will likely be the FA after Sakazuki or after Issho if he becomes the FA in the future. Koby will be a VA or Admiral but still close in power to Smoker, similar to Garp and Sengoku both being god tiers implied to be relative to eachother while having different ranks.

He will stand on business. It'll be a stark contrast to him hesitating to fight him in Marineford.
He won't win (duh, not a lot of people beat Luffy in a real fight, he's the MC), but he'll still put a ton of pressure on him.

Luffy can have multiple rivals, though. Nothing says he can't.
Smoker will likely be the FA after Sakazuki or after Issho if he becomes the FA in the future. Koby will be a VA or Admiral but still close in power to Smoker, similar to Garp and Sengoku both being god tiers implied to be relative to eachother while having different ranks.
Koby power wise has clearly surpassed Smoker tbf and will be his Garp. I'm fine with Smoker being second place to Koby but Smoker stans can't accept that

Unlike Kid or Law, Koby has directly opposed Luffy numerous times

First he attacked him in EL

Then again in marineford

Then post skip he invaded Amazon lily, attacking luffy’s friend.

This idea that Koby is a fanboy like Bartolommeo is a misreading of his character. Koby respects Luffy, much like Garp respects Roger.

But Koby is a proud marine. He knows what his duty is. At the end of the day, the fate of the world depends on who gets the one piece. Yeah I can see why Koby would be apprehensive about one man obtaining that much power.

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
Koby's dream always has this element - he is bound to clash with Luffy as their goals are conflicting by nature.

However, koby stans don't get ahead of yourselves - Koby is the biggest cheerleader of Luffy and when time will come he will follow Luffy which will lead to New World Order.

Koby's dream always has this element - he is bound to clash with Luffy as their goals are conflicting by nature.

However, koby stans don't get ahead of yourselves - Koby is the biggest cheerleader of Luffy and when time will come he will follow Luffy which will lead to New World Order.
Koby will never stop being Luffy's friend, but he will acknowledge that Luffy isn't fit to rule over the world and fight him as needed

Reborn

Koby will never stop being Luffy's friend, but he will acknowledge that Luffy isn't fit to rule over the world and fight him as needed
Luffy doesn't wanna rule and we all know Luffy is achieving what he set out for. He's the MC.

And koby is more of a simp than a friend. He will fall in line and will know his place - don't worry

He's still an ass?

Luffy helped Koby reach his dream. Without Luffy, Koby would still be Alvida's cabin boy. Or after her defeat, Luffy could have said he was part of Alvida's crew or part of his crew. He didn't have to help Koby get into the navy, but he did. Then it's his own grandfather that helped Koby get where he is.

Koby owes Luffy big time, but instead of trusting that he'd be the one jackass that didn't fuck over the world (like he's just ignoring all these countries saved thanks to the STHs?) And deciding to backstab Luffy and and not help his dream. I bet you Fujitora would believe in Luffy over Koby at this point.

Then again in marineford

This idea that Koby is a fanboy like Bartolommeo is a misreading of his character. Koby respects Luffy, much like Garp respects Roger.

But Koby is a proud marine. He knows what his duty is. At the end of the day, the fate of the world depends on who gets the one piece. Yeah I can see why Koby would be apprehensive about one man obtaining that much power.
Oh no no no, he's definitely a fanboy. See here:

(I couldn't be bothered to crop the panels this time)

Reborn

Then again in marineford

Will you ever get anything right?

He's clearly a fanboi

Mf is dump, obsessing over Luffy getting the one piece when he legitimately knows Luffy is a force for good is weird.
He should be focusing on at least trying to stop BB or even retrieve Garps body for a proper burial.