General & Others Ace shouldn't be "avenged"

Way too often I see One Piece fans talking about Luffy or Sabo Avenging Ace by killing Akainu

My issue with this concept is that is goes against what we know about The Pirate life and code in One Piece. "Avenging" Ace would be the biggest disrespect Luffy and Sabo could do to Ace. We are told several times that People in the One Piece world respect each other as their own men and don't treat each other like children who aren't responsible for their own decisions

Sabo outright Told Burgess that he didn't have anything against him or the Blackbeard Pirates personally because Ace is his own man , Luffy was hesitant to Save Ace at first because it would be disrespectful to interfere in Ace's Adventure and Ace himself was telling both Luffy and the Whitebeard Pirates that they shouldn't try to save him because it's his own fault he was in this situation.

Of course it's not a Black and White situation as Luffy choose to interfere regardless of how pissed Ace would get, Dragon saved Luffy despite respecting him as his own man with his own adventure, Luffy still hates Blackbeard for what he did.

But at the end of the day if Luffy or Sabo Fight Akainu, it should never be about "Ace's honor" or crap like that, it should be because Akainu is an obstacle for their goal. It's not like Robin wants to kill Aokiji for killing Saul.

Making the Akainu Fight about avenging Ace would be pissing on one of the biggest Philosophical theme of One Piece.

What about Ace trying to avenge Thatch, or The Whitebeard Remnants trying to avenge Ace and Whitebeard with Blackbeard?
Blackbeard was technically Ace's responsibility , Ace Said so himself

Blackbeard was a traitor, he broke the Code of Piracy and Both Ace and Marco had the right to Kill him, they were just too weak to do .

It's not comparable to Akainu who did what Aokiji and Sengoku tried to do, Even Garp let go of his anger towards Akainu

I pretty much agree. Oda clearly showed how revenge is just a death spiral and made a clearly rapresentation of it as something that is sick. BB kills Tatch, Ace wants revenge and ends up making himself caught and making the whole WB allaiance invade Marineford for his sake then not still convinced he loses precious seconds to Akainu provocations (the message of Oda was that Ace in the end was too much of an hot head yoyoyo) and ends up putting Luffy's life in mortal danger but he decides to take that blow himself. Anyway in the end it was for sure a very negative portrayal for the value of revenge.

Now imo Luffy is not looking for it at all. He never mentioned once in the whole post time skip he wants to kill Akainu or something on these lines, not even when Akainu was directly mentioned in front of him (he just touched his scar but he didn't make any comment) then imo it could be Oda makes up some drama when he will somewhat meet Akainu next but, if that is towards eos, most likely Sabo will step him and battle Akainu for Luffy.

Neither Luffy nor Sabo are trying to avenge Ace at the moment.
If they had this type of feeling they would have tried it already. They are on their respective paths rn. The pirate king one for Luffy and the revolutionary one for Sabo.

I believe at some point Luffy will encounter Akainu and Ace's death will be play a part in giving Luffy more motivation but it won't be the main reason why he will fight Akainu.

So I don't think that revenge will be the point of the fight but you can't expect Luffy to fight the guy and simply forget that he was the one who killed his brother. The fact that Akainu just did his job, that Ace was stupid when he went back fighting Akainu, or that it was a war is irrelevant. Ace was still Luffy's brother, and it's only logic for one to want to kick the ass of the guy who kill his brother. But then again that won't be the reason why they will fight.

Ok so Luffy vs Akainu should happen and like LITM just said it should come up but in no way should it be the driving factor of their battle. Luffy at that point should be trying to overthrow the WG and the Marines should be trying to stop him. Ace's death should only add more fuel to the fire Luffys got burning

Having Sabo avenge Ace is BIG no no for me personally. And I fear a Luffy/Sabo teamup vs Akainu coming and I cringe every time I think about it

I agree, Ace have lived his own adventure, Luffy seems to have grow up in the TS to respect Ace choices in life and would be very disrespectifull If he try to avenge him now. Oda has even show us in Marineford what happen when you go blind by vengeance.

Seems to me that this Ace thing will be much more relevant in the fight against Teach, that is the one who defeated Ace, than Akainu.

What about Ace trying to avenge Thatch
Thatch got killed in cold blood. murdered. Ace went ahead and got himself killed. huge difference.

there is nothing to avenge. Ace died on his own adventure.
if anything the grudge is vs the Marines as a whole and not Akainu in particular. killing Ace was the Marines goal on Sengokus order. it does not matter who delivered the blow. or you believe Luffy would go and kill the executioners if they managed to kill Ace...

We are told several times that People in the One Piece world respect each other as their own men and don't treat each other like children who aren't responsible for their own decisions
precisely.
Sabo outright Told Burgess that he didn't have anything against him or the Blackbeard Pirates personally because Ace is his own man , Luffy was hesitant to Save Ace at first because it would be disrespectful to interfere in Ace's Adventure and Ace himself was telling both Luffy and the Whitebeard Pirates that they shouldn't try to save him because it's his own fault he was in this situation.
idk why people do not get that. its not hidden. you do not have to read between the lines. we get this shoved down out throats on multiple ocassions.
Making the Akainu Fight about avenging Ace would be pissing on one of the biggest Philosophical theme of One Piece.
amen.

the main reason this is brought up is because Marines or Admirals fans want Akainu to be relevant to Luffys story. not just as the FA, but with a personal vendetta.
they conveniently ignore the examples you brought up.
Post automatically merged:

I guess the scabbards are currently shitting all over Oden’s legacy then lol
Oden passed his will down to the Scabbards. they are to free Wano and open its borders.
Ace never told anyone to carry on his will or avenge him.

take your magma tinted glasses off for once.

...lol

Thatch got killed in cold blood. murdered. Ace went ahead and got himself killed. huge difference.

there is nothing to avenge. Ace died on his own adventure.
if anything the grudge is vs the Marines as a whole and not Akainu in particular. killing Ace was the Marines goal on Sengokus order. it does not matter who delivered the blow. or you believe Luffy would go and kill the executioners if they managed to kill Ace...

precisely.

idk why people do not get that. its not hidden. you do not have to read between the lines. we get this shoved down out throats on multiple ocassions.

amen.

the main reason this is brought up is because Marines or Admirals fans want Akainu to be relevant to Luffys story. not just as the FA, but with a personal vendetta.
they conveniently ignore the examples you brought up.

Oden passed his will down to the Scabbards. they are to free Wano and open its borders.
Ace never told anyone to carry on his will or avenge him.

take your magma tinted glasses off for once.

...lol
Luffy has gotten revenge on behalf of other people for a lot less, constantly throughout the entire story. But sure, we can pretend that he holds no animosity towards the man who killed his brother in front of his eyes, and permanently disfigured him. :kayneshrug:

I pretty much agree. Oda clearly showed how revenge is just a death spiral and made a clearly rapresentation of it as something that is sick. BB kills Tatch, Ace wants revenge and ends up making himself caught and making the whole WB allaiance invade Marineford for his sake then not still convinced he loses precious seconds to Akainu provocations (the message of Oda was that Ace in the end was too much of an hot head yoyoyo) and ends up putting Luffy's life in mortal danger but he decides to take that blow himself. Anyway in the end it was for sure a very negative portrayal for the value of revenge.

Now imo Luffy is not looking for it at all. He never mentioned once in the whole post time skip he wants to kill Akainu or something on these lines, not even when Akainu was directly mentioned in front of him (he just touched his scar but he didn't make any comment) then imo it could be Oda makes up some drama when he will somewhat meet Akainu next but, if that is towards eos, most likely Sabo will step him and battle Akainu for Luffy.
Luffy might not be outright seeking Akainu to dole out justice for Ace, but do you honestly believe if Akainu was to present himself in front of Luffy, that Luffy would not want to whoop his ass for Ace's sake?

Jinbei had to stop him from attacking Blackbeard in Impel Down because Blackbeard was responsible for Ace's imprisonment. So what do you think would happen if Luffy came face to face with Akainu?

Last edited: