General & Others Oda Explains the Lack of One on One Fights + Future of Powerscaling Debates in One Piece

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Part 1 - Eiichiro Oda Deliberately De-emphasizes The Combat Elements

“Dragon Ball made such a deep impression on everyone; I think fans could still remember it five years after it ended. And it was certainly one of my favorites, too. I would never have stood a chance against it. So I had to come up with something different. That’s why I really tried to emphasize the adventure element for readers, rather than the fight scenes.”
-Oda Eiichiro interview with Naruto’s Creator Masashi Kishimoto, 2015

-Oda Eiichiro One Piece Magazine Volume 1, 2017 (Sandman's translation)

The same sentiment was echoed by one of the editors that Oda insisted on less fights to differentiate from other mainstream manga. This is how I always viewed combat in One Piece; a complimentary aspect to the overall series rather than the main focus.

The fights are about tying up the arc’s themes (destroying Nami’s room, ringing the bell, stopping Doffy’s control, bonding with Katakuri over familial drama, etc...), intensity and emotional drama rather than power stats and ability/strategy exposition.

They’re not video game vs. style combat without story elements interfering. For example, Nami and Law helped Luffy defeat Cracker and Doffy. Katakuri grew to respect Luffy as the person that can free his siblings from Mama’s emotional oppression so he handicapped himself/was happy he escaped. Story and characterization will always prevent the powerscalers’ dream of character A vs character B at full strength going all out for multiple chapters to see who’s outright stronger.

Heck, Luffy’s strongest ability is to attract people to help him. So he might not be individually the strongest combat wise but he can compete with stronger opponents by making allies.

Part 2 - Challenges of Creating a Weekly Manga and One Piece's Giant Cast/Plot

The inhumane demands of creating a weekly manga are well-documented. If you have 3 days each to create the story and art while sleeping 3 hours a day, you have to pick and choose which areas you’ll focus on. It’s always weird seeing fans claim that “series x doesn’t have a complex fighting system like series y” or “series x doesn’t have expansive world building like series y”. It’s infeasible to cover all aspects in one weekly comic.

To choose to create a story with an ever-expanding lore of islands and characters, will lead to narrative focus being on political tension/plot lines, drama, humor, adventure, and existing character personalities/interaction/backstories rather than one on one fights. While also introducing new characters, islands, mysteries and plot lines to maintain the “ever expanding adventure” feel.

The complex plot then becomes more about untangling this web of political/power structures to achieve the ultimate goal of reaching one piece and less about the simple crew adventures. Juggling all these characters and plot lines to coherently reach the conclusion lessened the attention to combat details and lighthearted Strawhat adventures. That’s why the later arcs are different in tone compared to earlier arcs (that’s a longer discussion for another thread :shocking:).

Oda said the reason One Piece became so lengthy is because he introduced the Shichibukai and he (Jokingly) regrets it. This is basically an admission that he realized he created a monstrous world full of mysteries and plot threads that are begging to be resolved. And that his perfectionist self will need a long time to do justice by each thread.

Part 3 - Future of Power Level Debates

I’m not naive to think that powerscaling discussions aren’t an integral of any battle shonen. I don’t look down on powerscalers or anything like that. Everyone that has a passion for any aspect of One Piece, regardless of how significant it is, is on my team. Greg said that Oda himself is happy about fans speculation and discussion about power levels. The fans should and will continue to have fun with powerscaling discussions.

Shout out to @Admiral Lee Hung , @Jo_Ndule , @Topi Jerami , @Light D Lamperouge and all the passionate powerscalers here :cheers:

I just see some people taking them way too seriously in a series that’s not designed to decisively satisfy those discussions. After that, they extrapolate the feelings about characters’ lack/abundance of feats to bash/praise that character from a story perspective (Big Mom and Sanji in WCI are an example of that. Maybe another long thread about this in the future :catsure:).

So I’m just hoping that those cats aren’t setting themselves up for disappointment, because when One Piece ends, we most likely still won’t have definitive answers to their (EOS strawhats, YCs, Yonko vs Admiral, etc…) power level debates.

What’s required to resolve this complex world will demand every last bit of Oda’s remaining mangaka HP.

“I need the courage to chip away at the ideas I come up with. It’s a race against time between my remaining lifespan and the end of the series (laughs)”.
-Eiichiro Oda to Fuji TV, 2016

That told me he’s decided to stick with this style until he’s able to draw the ending.

And I can’t say I blame him. He spoke about health concerns in the past as well as wanting to spend time with his daughters. There’s a human element that some people ignore. Hopefully the pressure of finishing up such a giant series doesn’t lead to a Berserk/Bastard/Hunter x Hunter/Nana situation.​

Last edited:

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Hope this will eliminate some of the made up "upper lower middle high" tiers and levels.
Every fight and power level should be tied to the plot first and foremost, especially with an author who will make the weakest characters embarrass the strongest for the plot.

But alas, people will still scream their personal power level expectations and kill the story for it aka, people destroying the Balance of Power plot points for their yonko hype for example.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Hope this will eliminate some of the made up "upper lower middle high" tiers and levels.
Every fight and power level should be tied to the plot first and foremost, especially with an author who will make the weakest characters embarrass the strongest for the plot.

But alas, people will still scream their personal power level expectations and kill the story for it aka, people destroying the Balance of Power plot points for their yonko hype for example.
This is one of the reasons why I wanted to show Oda's perspective on this. Because it seemed to me some powerscalers aren't reading One Piece for One Piece anymore. They're basically reading to see whether their own power level predictions come true or not and bash anything that doesn't serve that purpose.

So just wanted to highlight that there's nothing wrong with having fun with power level discussions, but let's keep it within the context of authorial intention.

Last edited:

^^^^

I agree. OP fights are heavily up to matchups. Its safe to assume anyone has a chance to beat another person within their tier due to circumtance.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
This is one of the reasons why I wanted to show Oda's perspective on this. Because it seemed to me some powerscalers aren't reading One Piece for One Piece anymore. They're basically reading to see whether their own power level predictions come true or not and bash anything that doesn't serve that purpose.

So just wanted to highlight that there's nothing wrong with having fun with power level discussions, but let's keep it within the context of the authorial intention.
They are reading One Piece...they just dont understand story, portrayal and context. It's all about feats and personal hype with them....even though the feats are inconsistent...

-Base Luffy had the ability to hurt Katakuri and Doflamingo, but he couldnt get past Brulee or Monet.
-BM couldnt one shot Brooke and had her attacks tanked by Chopper, but she two shotted Zoan Queen.
-Base Hody Jones could stop a named air clash from Zoro, but Fujitora gets pushed back from a nameless slash.
-Carrot could get the drop on Luffy and Zoro, but she was powerless against Brulee and Daifuku.
-Etc. Etc....

You get direct story elements spoon fed to you like Marinee+Shichibukai counter balances the 4 Emperors, but so many people say that 1 or 2 Emperors win cause of personal Marineford interpretations.

^^^^

I agree. OP fights are heavily up to matchups. Its safe to assume anyone has a chance to beat another person within their tier due to circumtance.
I elaborated above.

Last edited:
and oden clashing with primebeard is a great example of oda not giving a fuck about power level
If he don't giving a fuck about power level, why he then struggle with Katakuri vs Luffy where he do anything to give Luffy a W after 15chapters of fighting? Why he nerf Big mom in end of Whole cake island so the strawhats could escape? Why he bring up the tamatabox when the Strawhats and the alliance gets asskicked by the Big mom pirates?

That are only some small points where Oda had show multiple times in the one piece manga that he care about powerlevel!!

Actually Oda gives alot about Powerlevel and he shows it every damn arc. How does Oden who he hyped up to be strong clashing with someone else show that?
If he don't giving a fuck about power level, why he then struggle with Katakuri vs Luffy where he do anything to give Luffy a W after 15chapters of fighting? Why he nerf Big mom in end of Whole cake island so the strawhats could escape? Why he bring up the tamatabox when the Strawhats and the alliance gets asskicked by the Big mom pirates?

That are only some small points where Oda had show multiple times in the one piece manga that he care about powerlevel!!
two words: marineford arc

and oden clashing with primebeard is a great example of oda not giving a fuck about power level
Lmao, what the fuck? You realize Oden's Scabbards can go toe to toe with a Yonko's commanders? You got 3 Top YCs: Denjiro (Kyoshiro), Shutenmaru, Kawamatsu, and veteran people like Izo, Kinemon, Kiku, etc...

Who else has this type of crew? Doflamingo is the closest, and he couldn't even get Law as his RHM. Vergo was his #1, who is below Oden's Top 3. This is the crew of a TOP TIER.

thread: is literally about how oda cares more about plot than power level.
sanjikun:

Read and learn. These guys are all YC level. You can't fight against Kaido and survive and be below that.

ok?! I don't exactly disagree with you there, but this is clearly not the right thread for this discussion, and you completely missed the point of my post
oden clashing with wb was a really cool moment, but unless the "orochi poisoned oden" theory is true, it doesn't make any sense powerscale wise, that's all

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Inspector_Mu

He cares about PL

Plot conveniences and armour exists when Oda himself explains it.
Even plot drama to drag the fight.

This is why it is stupid to usually think X > Z coz he was taken down from efforts of 2 people
The argument only works if the Enemy didnt get dominated/totally defeated by the MC powerup/best form : examples: vs Kaido! We all know luffy wont crush Kaido even if he got PUs now;
while luffy had help vs Doffy/Cracker yet doffy was outclassed by Boundman, cracker lost badly to tank man. They had no answer for luffy Powers, not forgetting Doffy himself had help too.
Doffy and kjma vs Oars! You won't start saying oars>kuma+doffy when Oars stood no chance.

Context, storytelling....

Oda nerfs BM...restricts Admirals from using their full powers at MF, have Sick WB not die till Teach comes....

Last edited by a moderator: