Questions & Mysteries How Do you feel about the Power up progression of Luffy, Zoro, Sanji?

How do you feel about how Oda has developed the Monster Trios Abilities throughout the series up until now? Is the progression Natural ? Or are some powerups out of place?

These are all the prominent Power ups they've received throughout the series, when I say "Game changing" that means the powerup altered the way the character fights.

Luffy

G2: Enies Lobby (Game Changing powerup)

G3: Enies lobby (Game Changing)

Red Attacks: Fishman Island/Wano

G4: Boundman: Dressrosa (Game Changing)

Future Sight: WCI

G4: Snakeman: WCI

Ryuo: Wano

Conquerors Haki Infusion: Wano (Game Changing)

Zoro

Sandai Kitetsu X Yubashiri: Logue Town

Cutting Steel/ Breath of All things: Alabasta (Game Changing)

Flying Slash: Skypiea (Game Changing)

Asura: Enies Lobby (Game Changing)

Shisui: Thriller Bark

Armament Haki Mastery: Dressrosa

Zoro's Armament haki is on here because it has been a key factor in his fights, and crucial part of his Combat arsenal Post Timeskip.
He even has a Flashback about his Armament Haki Mastery.

Enma( Game Changing)

Sanji

Diable Jambe (Game Changing)

Sky Walk/Blue Walk: Fishman Island

Hell Memories State/Flame Control : Fishman Island

*Side note: Did not add Sanjis Armament or Observation Haki, since neither of them seem to be prominent in Sanjis combat Arsenal from what we've seen. Not saying Sanji does not have them , he has observation feats of course but its not prominent his actual fighting exchanges. Its mainly His Speed, Diable Jambe and now the Raid Suit.

Stealth Black: Wano (Potentially Game Changing)

Again Leave your thoughts below...

I believe that there are Small Power Ups that let them Progress through the Tier they are in until they become the Strongest in that Tier
And then comes a Big Power Up that allows them to Increase in Tier. So:

Small Power Ups = Helps Progress inside Tier
And Big Power Ups = Jump to Next Higher Tier

For example, i believe Luffy from Chapter 1 till Luffy who fought Lucci in Water 7 are from the Same Tier (Low Tier)
But Chapter 1 Luffy was Weakest Low Tier while Water 7 Luffy was Strongest Low Tier

Then came Gear 2 + 3 that made Luffy Jump a Tier & enter the Next Level (Mid Tier)
Until he reached his Max right before Timeskip

After 2 Years Training, Luffy became again Superior to his Former Self (High Tier)
And over time he kept showing us everything he learned until WCI End where he became Strongest High Tier

Then Wano Came & Luffy Upgraded his CoA & CoC which is Major Upgrade and elevated him (Top Tier)
Now he currently in Progress to become among Strongest Top Tier

Same thing applies for Zoro imo, in other words:

Volume 1 Luffy ---> Weakest from Low Tier
Water 7 Luffy ---> Strongest from Low Tier

Enies Lobby Luffy ---> Weakest from Mid Tier
Start of Time-skip Luffy ---> Strongest from Mid Tier

Post-TS Luffy ---> Weakest from High Tier
Wano Act 1 Luffy ---> Strongest from High Tier

Onigashima Luffy ---> Weakest from Top Tier
Final War Luffy ---> Strongest from Top Tier

PS: When i say Strongest & Weakest, i don't mean Number 1 & Last, i mean among Best 3 & Weakest 3

Lhulu

Tobidara Believer
Luffy= very good progression, a bit exaggerated now in Wano where he learned 2 advanced hakis, but very consistent.

Zoro= this is an interesting case. We've only seen Zoro give it his all now in Onigashima, TS definitely made him a lot stronger. He showed great versatility in the use of CoA and now he has awakened CoC.

Sanji= the worst. The only notable evolution of the TS was the use of Gepo and an improvement in his DJ (which since Dressrosa has been insufficient). Regarding Haki, he showed very good CoO feats but nothing into a real fight; his CoA was very simple and mediocre. Also, I don't like the RS(except the invisibility), and i'm expecting that this fight against Queen improve his Haki and DJ and don't make him dependent of the Power Ranger Cosplay.

PS: Sorry, I replied based only on Post TS. About before, I think the 3 progressions are pretty good, mainly Luffy (with his gears) and Sanji (with his new techniques and kicks).

Last edited:

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Luffy's and Zoro's look very on point to me. They impressed the most ratio wise when it comes to their empowerment, expecially Zoro in my opinion feats wise.

Sanji not bad but not as sparking as theirs for obvious reasons, also accounting the suit notion and even if that was his own natural power or was considered like that since it's still additional power regardless.

Luffy never really got to enjoy how hax and broken future sight should be, and it was handwaved by Oda as not being as helpful, because otherwise Luffy would have it too easy.

Similarly Oda flicks between g2 being nothing at all, to being the absurd speed boost it once was allowing him to perform ridiculous speed blitzes on people, including Kaido in 1010.

G3 when it originally came out was stronger than Asura with a mere pistol, but now Asura has been taken to a level above even red roc, which is bizarre power scaling, but I suppose that was Zoro going all out with Asura, rather than Luffy going all out with G3 storm or something.

Luffy's power ups are the best, but Oda tends to backslide their power so the others can not look like complete scrubs and so Luffy doesn't steamroll everything.

How do you feel about how Oda has developed the Monster Trios Abilities throughout the series up until now? Is the progression Natural ? Or are some powerups out of place?

These are all the prominent Power ups they've received throughout the series, when I say "Game changing" that means the powerup altered the way the character fights.

Luffy

G2: Enies Lobby (Game Changing powerup)

G3: Enies lobby (Game Changing)

Red Attacks: Fishman Island/Wano

G4: Boundman: Dressrosa (Game Changing)

Future Sight: WCI

G4: Snakeman: WCI

Ryuo: Wano

Conquerors Haki Infusion: Wano (Game Changing)

Zoro

Sandai Kitetsu X Yubashiri: Logue Town

Cutting Steel/ Breath of All things: Alabasta (Game Changing)

Flying Slash: Skypiea (Game Changing)

Asura: Enies Lobby (Game Changing)

Shisui: Thriller Bark

Armament Haki Mastery: Dressrosa

Zoro's Armament haki is on here because it has been a key factor in his fights, and crucial part of his Combat arsenal Post Timeskip.
He even has a Flashback about his Armament Haki Mastery.

Enma( Game Changing)

Sanji

Diable Jambe (Game Changing)

Sky Walk/Blue Walk: Fishman Island

Hell Memories State/Flame Control : Fishman Island

*Side note: Did not add Sanjis Armament or Observation Haki, since neither of them seem to be prominent in Sanjis combat Arsenal from what we've seen. Not saying Sanji does not have them , he has observation feats of course but its not prominent his actual fighting exchanges. Its mainly His Speed, Diable Jambe and now the Raid Suit.

Stealth Black: Wano (Potentially Game Changing)

Again Leave your thoughts below...
Luffy's: :lunazing:

Zoro's: :steef:

Sanji's: :rolaugh:

Zoro and Dressrosa are def not correct, Zoro knew how to harden his blades prior to that and probably mastered the skill post time skip. I believe the point was not to have a knick on the blade.

That the was the first time Zoro felt it was necesary to use CoA.

Luffy has had 8 million power jumps because it's Luffy

Sanji's Raid suit was a very necesary power jump to make up for lack in durability and power

Marimo_420

The Honoured One
Nothing game changing about Enma apart from your headcannons to try and justify Zoro's immense growth over the 2 year timeskip.

Enma is a training tool only for better armament control/ usage, and is potentially the weaker blade due to it not being a black blade unlike Shusui.

Zoro's power, strength, speed, endurance and stamina all remains the same while using the blade. 2 weeks of getting used to Enma, and breathing exercises in the form of sword Katas doesn't magically gives him a boost in all these stats.

Enma is by far the smallest of all power ups he's received. So no, nothing game changer about it.

Sanji got no power up (aside from the Raid Suit), which he isn't even using to fight but to rescue people or to disguise himself easily, he is fighting an YC2 with a 1.32Bi bounty in his base "form", someone who was presented side by side with the YC1, like literally close in strength.

Sanji looks fine to me, he only lacks a decent 1vs1 thats all, especially because Oda used some of his clashes post-timeskip to hype not just Sanji but his opponents (like against Vergo and Doflamingo) it's like "Oh, hes definitely strong, but he fucked up here", or he just finds a way to make Sanji hold back to showcase his morals (Like against the Vinsmokes), which even then doesn't mean he lost (only to Doffy honestly), and he didn't get some Advanced Type of haki or a new Sword, it's just base Sanji.

If we suppose that the characters get stronger throughout the arcs without an especifically explained power up (which makes sense, just look at Law), then it's fine.
But let's see if he will need to pull up the Raid Suit to win the fight (i hope not), the only way i can feel ok with it is if he uses it to finish the fight, to give the final blow needing to suit give him an advantage somehow, similar to Gear 4. I like the suit, but making Sanji depend on it completely is bad strength and storywise

Zoro is ok, his character is literally about fighting, being badass, surpassing limits, unfortunately i always felt like Zoro and Sanji lacked good fights most post TS (which is true), Luffy got all the big shine. This is more a post-timeskip consequence than anything: lots of characters being introduced, many plots needing screentime and explanation. In comparison, pre-timeskip was basicly the Strawhats solo adventure.

Last edited:
Sanji got no power up (aside from the Raid Suit), which he isn't even using to fight but to rescue people or to disguise himself easily, he is fighting an YC2 with a 1.32Bi bounty in his base "form", someone who was presented side by side with the YC1, like literally close in strength.

Sanji looks fine to me, he only lacks a decent 1vs1 thats all, especially because Oda used some of his clashes post-timeskip to hype not just Sanji but his opponents (like against Vergo and Doflamingo) it's like "Oh, hes definitely strong, but he fucked up here", or he just finds a way to make Sanji hold back to showcase his morals, which even then doesn't mean he lost (only to Doffy honestly), and he didn't get some Advanced Type of haki or a new Sword, it's just base Sanji.

If we suppose that the characters get stronger throughout the arcs without an especifically explained power up (which makes sense, just look at Law), then it's fine.
But let's see if he will need to pull up the Raid Suit to win the fight (i hope not), the only way i can feel ok with it is if he uses it to finish the fight, to give the final blow needing to suit give him an advantage somehow, similar to Gear 4. I like the suit, but making Sanji depend on it completely is bad strength and storywise

Zoro is ok, his character is literally about fighting, being badass, surpassing limits, unfortunately i always felt like Zoro and Sanji lacked good fights most post TS (which is true), Luffy got all the shine. This is more a post-timeskip consequence than anything: lots of characters being introduced, many plots needing screentime and explanation. In comparison, pre-timeskip was basicly the Strawhats solo adventure.
I agree with what your saying but I dont worry sanji wont be dependent on his suit because if he was he would have already wear it but he didnt he's not like his brothers,so he's good:cheers:

I agree with what your saying but I dont worry sanji wont be dependent on his suit because if he was he would have already wear it but he didnt he's not like his brothers,so he's good:cheers:

Let's hope you're right, Sanji's drip is too good to not be shown while fighting. Im ok with him using it to achieve something in the battle, like a situational thing (escape from Queen's plagues for example), or to some rescue mission, but turning the Sanji we know into a literal power ranger 99% of the time is meeh

:sanjimeh:

Luffy powers was always ahead of the rest but that's ok its luffy after all & I love them. But snakeman is my favorite hope to see it again.

Zoro's was also awesome
Let's hope you're right, Sanji's drip is too good to not be shown while fighting. Im ok with him using it to achieve something in the battle, like a situational thing (escape from Queen's plagues for example), or to some rescue mission, but turning the Sanji we know into a literal power ranger 99% of the time is meeh

:sanjimeh:
I
I'm Not gonna lie I love seeing the raid suit in action, but I can see him fighting the same way he always does with dome new moves incoming, but yeah makes sense

- Luffy had the best written power up progression BUT fails with consistency to keep the high level in next arcs (meaning Oda focuses the most on giving Luffy his power ups in most proper ways, BUT next arc, somehow all that strength is lost during the first half of the arc, where Oda find ways to make Luffy look incompetent!

- Zoro has Great Progression WHILE being the BEST of being consistent... his progression is logical, but less focused by Oda... however, he can maintain a great level of intimidating aura and skills for the next arcs easily without Oda sacrificing him to showcase new characters ability on him...

- Sanji had the worst in both, sadly, progression and consistency!