General & Others What's the point of bounty system if bounty hunters are useless?

Not gonna lie the bounty system seems entirely useless aside from hyping up or indicating how strong someone is, as it doesn't really matter in the OP universe otherwise. Whether your bounty is 1 billion or 100 billion there's no difference in risks since bounty hunters are damn useless after like 200 million bounty

Bounties are used to define how dangerous a wanted person is or, in other words, the extent of the threat a certain criminal poses to the government and civilians.
I know. But it would still make much more sense if the World Government defined them by threat levels like in OPM instead of bounties. But the bounty system is useless since no one will claim those bounties anyway

It's like organizing a huge competition for running with a massive prize in a town full of cripples. It just doesn't make sense

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Considering now even the Marines and the Government decently move in order to capture high ranked Pirates then all makes sense coz it's that difficult to manage. 🤔

It would have been hype if Oda created a bounty hunter character alongside the supernovas to actually compete with Luffy!
I also feel the bounty hunters are neglected,we only got zoro,those guys at whiskey peak and the guy the at colosseum!
We needed a Jango Fett type of guy,a top tier bounty hunter that actually scares Pirates!
Mihawk would have fit the bill,but Oda fucked up!

You already answered, Oda uses them to give hype and/or a general powerlevel. And I agree that bounties after a certain level are useless. It is like America, if it puts a 20M dollars bounty or whatever on Bin Laden it is a thing but let's say it puts a 30B dollars bounty on Putin it makes no sense. In OP world the yonkos control countries and are so strong not even the WG can do anything about them, go figure other 3rd parties.

My response to a similar thread.
Not really. Bounties have pretty much become the One Piece equivalent of Dragon Ball's scouter power level numbers.

Just remember that Luffy got his official bounty of 300 million after taking out a Warlord and destroying Enies Lobby while Kidd got a bounty of 315 million for dicking on civilians.

Bounties have neither made sense nor have they been accurately indictive of a character's power for a long time now. At best, they are a hype number for the next big bad.

I know. But it would still make much more sense if the World Government defined them by threat levels like in OPM instead of bounties. But the bounty system is useless since no one will claim those bounties anyway

It's like organizing a huge competition for running with a massive prize in a town full of cripples. It just doesn't make sense
It's an incentive for people to turn defeated pirates in to the Government.

It's not like you have to be a "Bounty Hunter" to claim a bounty... most are probably claimed by other pirates (who use 3rd parties to do so like the Whitebeard Pirates did). Maybe the strong warriors of countries capture pirates in their nation and then turn them in for cash.

B

Ballel

As other said, it is for hyping the character.
Oda probably stuck with the bounty poster concept because he was a western fan and bounty posters are commonlly used in western films. In one of Oda's pre-One Piece oneshots bounty posters appear as well.