Character Discussion Doflamingo vs Katakuri character-wise

Who is the better character?

• Total voters
Katakuri has a better design. but character wise, it's not even close. Katakuri was just there to be there, a strength barrier Luffy had to overcome. on the other hand, Doflamingo was a fully fledged villain rotten to the core whose downfall triggered bigger events, even during the chaos Oda gives a glimpse of his reaction about it while locked inside Impel Down every now and then.

Doflamingo, Blackbeard and Crocodile are some of the best well-written OP antagonists because Oda delved deeper into their personalities even before the timeskip. after all, the Yonko and their subordinates weren't meant to be a thing after Warlords before Oda changed his mind.
Actually its the opposite, he originally planned the Yonko to be luffy main enemies then he changed his plans and added the Warlords

Kiwipom

Ghost Princess
I do love Katakuri but I think taking personal bias aside, Doffy is the better written of the two. Doffy has been planned since very early in the series while Katakuri was more recent. Naturally, this leaves more room for Doffy's character to develop, build hype and mystery. Something that I found fascinating with Doffy before he really got involved with the plot was his allure - the pink coat, his psychotic expressions and arrogant nature. Even without being told anything, he was a character that immediately stood out. On the other hand, Kata's introduction was less impressive to me. Gotta revisit the panel but iirc, it was Bege warning Luffy to be careful of Katakuri which is significantly more underwhelming.

Even by comparing their backstory, Doffy's past of being a fallen Celestial Dragon and having to survive with his brother, killing his father really builds to his character more than Katakuri's past. So even if I like both of them, Doffy blows Kata out of the water

I like Katakuri more

Who is well-written?
Honestly, I think both characters are completely different, so it's hard to compare them.

I can compare Doffy and Corocodile, cause they are somewhat similar.

But with Katakuri, it's hard to compare them in terms of "writing" cause each one represent something completely different.

Anyway, I enjoy Katakuri more, cause of simply I share a bigger bond with him. Which is our mutual love for Donuts. I think I would love to hang out with him just sipping tea and eating Donuts.

Doflamingo by a landslide.

May be an unpopular opinion, but Katakuri is not a good character by any means imho.

Oda randomly introduced him in the second half of WCI just for the sake of giving Luffy a hard, but managable opponent.
There was zero emotional buildup to their actual fight and Katakuri as a character seems just "forced in".

There are pre-TS counterparts to all non-Yonko opponents Luffy beat except Enel, which we might get in Elbaf

Hody is Arlong = Fishman that hates humans (Start of each half of the novel)
Caesar is Wapol = Joke opponent/Supplies the world with crap (Temp. break before 1st Warlord)
Doflamingo is Crocodile = no need to even say anything (1st Warlord who took over country)
Cracker is Blueno = same rank as but appetizer to main opponent (Escape arc to save SH Robin/Sanji)
Katakuri is Rob Lucci = edgy edgelord of escape arc who's the strongest fighter but not the leader of his organization

Heck even Moriah is like a weird melange of BM and Kaido (Steals spirits/giant brawler with horns)

Problem with Rob Luccis and Katakuris is that Oda made these characters up on the fly.. There was 0 foreshadowing. With Katakuri, he clearly pulled a 180, even with his DF.