General & Others Do you feel like the payoff in One Piece matches the buildup?

Do the events in the story match the hype that Oda creates?

• Yes

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 24 66.7%

• Total voters
IMO the reason why One Piece sales started to drop around the time of Whole Cake Island is the lack of payoff.

I feel like the story has gone on for so long and the mysteries so entrenched that at this point pretty much any set of final events, conclusion, or answers we get will feel very underwhelming.
About lore? The payoff is good.

About the enemies as characters? The payoff is heavy disappointment.

They already did a Survey in Japan, the only reason Sales dropped is because it's Too Long
40% of Original Japanese Readers (Not Total, but those who used to read it before 2000) stopped buying Volumes due to how long it is

Quality Wise, One Piece has always delivered & Arcs Reviews are simply Subjective
I know people who tell me Thriller Bark Arc is their Favorite Arc for example & others who told me it's their Least Favorite
Same for most other Arcs, that's because every Arc has a Different Theme & each Reader have their own Preferences

ever since the timeskip the payoff has been weak. That's why it went from the greatest manga to average in the last 12 years.

Fishman island had a nice payoff. punk hazard was weak dressrosa had decent pay off and so did wci.

Zoro vs Pica was lame, sanji vs big mom pirates was weak, Jack vs Zou had a weak payoff and their revenge was weak, robin vs Cavendish was weak im not even going to go through the list but no payoff postskip is as good as preskip. tue post arc scenes are good but every arc leaves you feeling like you wish Oda took a different direction or focused on more important points. and the constant running is cringey. the first 7 years I let it slide but I'm tired of running scenes

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
I think what's important to Oda and what he's trying to build to aren't always inline with the fans. Take a character, they might be in the background for several chapters. Some fans will take it as build up justify their lack of exposure, but from Oda's perspective, they might've just been players he wasn't ready to show at the time.

There is something to be said about Oda churning from the same well of ideas arc after arc, and that could lead to build ups feeling tedious in the process.

this can only answered after Wano end

WCI lacked pay off because it's a build up arc

but about the pay off taking too long, yes it's taking so long and it's affecting sales and investment from the readers

hopefully it will be worth it in the end, this period of One Piece remind me in the period between Jaya/Skypea until the end of Water 7
This is the most reasonable conclusion. Everything from Punk Hazard to now was building towards Wano's conclusion. We'll have a better picture once the arc is through.

Believe it or not, this is actually equivalent to what I’m asking. If someone thinks a series is too long that’s equivalent to them not thinking they’ll get the needed payoff for the time commitment
Anyone who believes One Piece Ending is not worth the wait/ride, should drop it in my opinion, cuz they would be just wasting their time.
Also those who stopped buying One Piece, doesn't mean they stopped reading it, they are spending Money after all, so they decided to read it online instead from time to time

Anyone who believes One Piece Ending is not worth the wait/ride, should drop it in my opinion, cuz they would be just wasting their time.
Also those who stopped buying One Piece, doesn't mean they stopped reading it, they are spending Money after all, so they decided to read it online instead from time to time
I don’t have to worry about whether it’s worth it or not since I’m already here. Using time spent to justify stuff after you’ve spent it is a sunk cost fallacy.

Well whole cake was absolute trash. We got 250 questions and characters that are interesting yet we got a whole arc of mid characters(not you katakuri,not you) and sanjis feelings.
Dressrossa before it was the worst that ever happened to weekly readers,only time in my life i stopped reading op for more than a month(and that includes break periods)
Wano started of amazing but the plot armour bullshit is getting out of control so it definitely didnt deliver,i wanna see dead scabbards.

Im a dude who had been saying for years one piece is one of the greatest stories ive ever read,but nowadays im just sad about hows it going.