Powers & Abilities Should Oda have truly powered-up the weaklings during the timeskip?

Opinion?

• Yay, I wish he did

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • No, they're fine as they are.

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
Believe it's fine to make this thread now that Wano is nearing his end and that most fights are over as Ulti/Page One fight is by FAR the most disappointing and disliked battle in this arc, I've in this fandom for over a decade and I've rarely seen something as unanimously disliked.

A certain number of fans are frustrated with characters like Usopp and Nami still being weak and mostly helpless in battle. They did grow decently stronger technically but it is inconsequential compared to the enemies they have to face, Usopp needs rescuing from glorified fodders and Nami had to literally get a part of an yonkou soul to bring down her already half-dead enemy An actual emperor had to get involved in a super contrived plot to basically take down their opponents for them after 20 chapters of chase, basically it dragged out for NO pay off.

Bitch contributed more in the beast pirates defeat than 99% of the alliance members:lulz::lulz::lulz:
I fear to imagine what will happen in the fight against Blackbeard captains to save the wekalings butts, Papa mode Sakazuki making a huge hole in Devon and Van Auger to bring them down to 1 hp?

One could argue Oda is keeping them human/relatable this way but it is the opposite, what could have been charming early became annoying 100 volumes/1000 chapters in the series. It's a shonen, people want to see protagonists progression. It's them I want to see triumph over their opponents, not fucking Big Mom.:mihugh:

Nami suddenly becoming an expert hakiwoman CQC fighter would have been odd ofc, but since we saw in the SH mini adventure that she travelled to different islands with weatheria wizard, Oda could have her accidently find and eat a devil fruit. A tricky/powerful paramecia or logia that would make full use of her wits/knowledge and that she could use in tandem with her climat tact could have been quite interesting. Don't worry for bikini or swimming scenes, she'd just need a swim ring.:happinesspunch:

For Usopp, either he could have started using real guns with actual bullets or if Oda thought that fighting style was too generic, his Heracles (his teacher) could have been a haki user that taught Usopp how to use armement and observation, as he would have been able to coat his ammo with armement (We saw how destructive one single hakified arrow was in Amazon Lilly). Haki that he would have keep improving in the NW as he would have learned the proper basics, unlike now where his COO awakened in Dressrosa seems nonexistent .:usoprice:

I'm by no mean claiming to be a better writer than Oda, it is simply what I would have liked to see as a reader. I'm sure some literature expert will explain how narrativetly it fits for weaklings to stay barely above fodder level but I don't care about that. And I'd like to see everyone opinion

Last edited:
Nami & Usopp taking Ulti by themselves in a 2v1 while leaving Page One to someone else (Heat & Wire for example) should have been the way to go.

Oda probably kept Ulti & Page One tied together for the sake of the sibling characterization but wasn't necessary since that was already depicted in:
- Their introduction in Onigashima
- Their clash with Luffy
- Their comms with King
- The start of the 2v2 with Nami & Usopp
- The brutalization of Nami & Usopp
Imo that was enough, Oda should have just let someone intervene instead of Komachyo, forcing the siblings to split.

I don't mind it that much cause that plotline culminated in Kidd's glorious entrance, but still... Same result could have been reached in a better way.

We seen usopp regress. Man's went from being semi competent to being worthless and no confidence.

All of the sh have been stagnant compared to luffy so yes I think they should've came out the gate a little stronger than they currently are.
Usopp actually started the post-timeskip pretty decently , which make it even worse as the dude is doing the opposite of growing over itme.

Truth is that they didn't need to became stronger off-screen, while they could became strong in actual chapters, but they didn't. To write fight where Nami and Usopp unite their power of brain and abilities to defeate much stronger opponents wasn't impossible. Probably that fight could be best OP fight ever, case we love how Usopp use his brain, like in fight in Arabasta or against Perona.
Instead of that Oda decided to use Tama and Big Mom who attacked Tobiroppo for no reason. This is worst writer decisions that
Oda the Clown ever made.
So this is all author fault, and whats more this way Usopp's dream will never became true, in a way that we would believe in it. In Dressrosa he was used as gag nothing more. In wano? Same gag. This is beyond stupidity and one of the reasons why Wano is trash, and One Piece as whole now is trash beyond saving.

Last edited:
Every single Strawhat is crappy one way or another, several ways and more.
There's much more to complain about now than back then.
I'm sure we all could write how they wished they'd be instead, and while I'm all for it, I'm afraid some might be overzealous with their favs and it'd just become a power fantasy for them.

Every SH should have haki and be a capable fighter. Not saying they need to be commander level but at least strong enough to fight people like Oven.

I'm sure we all could write how they wished they'd be instead, and while I'm all for it, I'm afraid some might be overzealous with their favs and it'd just become a power fantasy for them.
So how Usopp will achieve his dream?
Also Zeus power up has no sence from the very begining, at least in the way how Oda the Clown write it.

Last edited:
Magic thor hammer found in Elbaf that will hard carry him
Yep that is the way for man how became strong...
Well, quickly... I would basically have him confront strong opponents who can attack his weaknesses and over time have him overcome those problems etc.
Post automatically merged:

And this.
Strong like BB commanders? As I said there no way that we could believe in victory like that.
Also if you think that story don't need some characters, it's too late case there hundreds of pages with em, maybe thousends.
Oda the Clown ruined his own story to it's Foundation

Yep that is the way for man how became strong...

Strong like BB commanders? As I said there no way that we could believe in victory like that.
Also if you think that story don't need some characters, it's too late case there hundreds of pages with em, maybe thousends.
Oda the Clown ruined his own story to it's Foundation
I'm talking about as a basis. Jumping the gun here with BB commanders.

I'm not asking, I'm just showimg you that Oda the Clown, didn't just did dirty some character, he ruined the story.
I already know. He ruined it when he favored Nami and made things oh so convenient for her, it's so contrived.
Usopp is fearful and scared for dumb ass reasons. It makes no fucking sense for a guy his age to be like that. What is he 10? That's even giving 10 year olds a bad name.
Chopper is excusable for that but his PTS design and everything is utter garbage.
Luffy imo should have been a lot more engaging as a Pirate Captain, it really feels like he's just playing Pirates like it's a kid game.