Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking a theory...
Luffy always call his nakama by his true name. If you think about it, Yamato is always called "Yamao" by him.
Maybe she won't join after all.
I would not like to take away the fun to Yamato fans, but... it's like this. And Oda said it in one SBS.
Kinemon and "you-know-who" have more possibility to join at this point than her
He also called chopper reindeer the whole time until he actually joined the crew.

Carrot may joins because she's cute, she's been somewhat very relevant for a long while. she's popular among the fans and that's it.
no one enters the crew just because it's cute, the only relevance was to take down ships which is no big deal being that any straw hat does that and Oda doesn't put characters in the crew just because he's famous among fans, because if it were Law and Katakuri already would be in the crew
:cheers:

carrot4nakama was thinking that he was smarter than everybody else in the room. “Anyone who happens to disagree with him have no idea how the story works”. In other words he thought he had better education than everyone else but he ended up making himself like a total unreasonable and mean spirited asshole personally attacking others for their lack of reading comprehension according to him. It just goes back to the whole oh carrot is going to join the crew and there’s nothing you can do about it blah blah blah blah blah or you do not seem to understand how the story works yada yada yada”
In before Carrot miraculously ends up joining and he won't be on this forum to party about that :myman:

The last role Luffy needs on his journey to laugh tale: Prostitute :milaugh:
I dont think next nakama will be the last. Plus the past term for prostitute is different with current term in japan. And why not? Black maria own the brothel. Stussy was known as queen of red light district and it's just a disguise like hiyori

At least she is skilled at something :emohiyo: playing shamisen, maybe dancing too, acting/performance act. She is doing well in the fake death drama too. Like nami when she "killed" usopp, robin when she "killed" igaram or pell

I was thinking a theory...
Luffy always call his nakama by his true name. If you think about it, Yamato is always called "Yamao" by him.
Maybe she won't join after all.
I would not like to take away the fun to Yamato fans, but... it's like this. And Oda said it in one SBS.
Kinemon and "you-know-who" have more possibility to join at this point than her
He never called Chopper his name until he joined as well though.

Luffy probably won't acknowledge Yamato as Yamato also until she acknowledges who she is and stops pretending to be Oden.

Luffy probably won't acknowledge Yamato as Yamato also until she acknowledges who she is and stops pretending to be Oden.
I think there's more to the Oden thing than it being a stupid gag meant to be brushed off.

Like the other SHs in their arcs, this character arc for Yamato is directly tied to the main villain. Her desire to be Oden is no different now than Kaido wanting to be called Joyboy, who was also a living person before. Kaido gave up after some realization that he can't be who he wants to be, but that just means Yamato, the good guy, will find her place as Oden's successor.

I think there's more to the Oden thing than it being a stupid gag meant to be brushed off.

Like the other SHs in their arcs, this character arc for Yamato is directly tied to the main villain. Her desire to be Oden is no different now than Kaido wanting to be called Joyboy, who was also a living person before. Kaido gave up after some realization that he can't be who he wants to be, but that just means Yamato, the good guy, will find her place as Oden's successor.
I think Yamato is a complicated case.

She seen the execution of Oden and was inspired by him that inspiration then turned to bitterness against her father.

Since then she's been a prisoner to Kaido especially when she was a kid after the 3 samurai went to face Kaido all she had was Oden's log book which with her already admiring Oden made her want to be him she's essentially read his stories and thought I want to be free like that.

Yamato's character arc will come from her acknowledging she is the daughter of Kaido as a big part of what Oda is doing is how she is saying Kaido isn't her father anymore but at the same time she'll come to see herself as Yamato not as Oden.

Personally I can only see this happening if she leaves Wano no way she stays in Wano and her whole Oden personality doesn't get worse.

Yamato's character arc will come from her acknowledging she is the daughter of Kaido as a big part of what Oda is doing is how she is saying Kaido isn't her father anymore but at the same time she'll come to see herself as Yamato not as Oden.
She already acknowledges herself as Yamato. She introduced herself as such to Luffy and Ace (in fact, she never brought up the Oden thing with him).

What I'm saying is that she's using his name as a title. It's like how Joyboy was a living person yet there's going to be a successor of him that also carries his name like Kaido wanted to do.

It could be the case that inheriting someone's name is simply seen as carrying out their will. That explains why no one in universe sees Yamato's thing as weird. Even the three samurai went along with it. The only thing Luffy said about it was that she can't be him because she isn't beloved by everyone like he was, not that it's weird she's calling herself by a dead person's name.

So in reality, her arc would be about properly becoming Oden's successor despite her lineage. After all, Kaido's only complaint about it was that she's not understanding the weight behind carrying his name or the problems in doing so with her being an Oni (most likely related to his failure in being Joyboy).

She already acknowledges herself as Yamato. She introduced herself as such to Luffy and Ace (in fact, she never brought up the Oden thing with him).

What I'm saying is that she's using his name as a title. It's like how Joyboy was a living person yet there's going to be a successor of him that also carries his name like Kaido wanted to do.

It could be the case that inheriting someone's name is simply seen as carrying out their will. That explains why no one in universe sees Yamato's thing as weird. Even the three samurai went along with it. The only thing Luffy said about it was that she can't be him because she isn't beloved by everyone like he was, not that it's weird she's calling herself by a dead person's name.

So in reality, her arc would be about properly becoming Oden's successor despite her lineage. After all, Kaido's only complaint about it was that she's not understanding the weight behind carrying his name or the problems in doing so with her being an Oni (most likely related to his failure in being Joyboy).

She acknowledges that's her name but not who she is.

She said Luffy was more Oden than she was and the implication was Luffy was free.

Oden = Freedom for Yamato.

Her wanting to be Oden is related to her wanting to be free.

Yamato staying in Wano makes no sense at all.

Calling it now there'll be a moment Yamato says she is no longer Kozuki Oden and will give up what her idea of freedom is to actually be free and sail on the sunny.

What do you guys think is the point of the whole bomb defusal plot thread for Yamato?

It conveniently appeared once she got down from the roof and we all know Onigashima is not going to explode and kill everyone.

At first I thought this was going to be a way for her to interact with other characters (more than 2 panels at least), maybe team up or help with other stuff but at this point the only thing left is to take care of Kazenbo and the bombs themselves and I don't feel like there is much there for Yamato to gain as a character. Its a cool feat but I don't see it going any place that would improve her development.

Currently it just feels like when she was running around with Momo and Shinobu waiting for her time to fight Kaido, but without any of the personal involvement of rebelling against her father.

She said Luffy was more Oden than she was and the implication was Luffy was free.
She said Luffy was more Oden than she was in regard to being more beloved by everyone. That's the exact statement she was replying to.
Her wanting to be Oden is related to her wanting to be free.
It's mainly to do with being inspired by who he is as a person. Oden is the definition of who she wants to be like. She was inspired by how he lived his life doing what he thought was right until the day he died regardless of how others tried to vilify him. Basically not caring how others view or label him since he's doing the right thing in his head. That ties into Yamato's dilemma of following her aspirations while also being seen as an oni and Kaido's child.
Yamato staying in Wano makes no sense at all.
Facts
Calling it now there'll be a moment Yamato says she is no longer Kozuki Oden and will give up what her idea of freedom is to actually be free and sail on the sunny.
It's more likely she develops into the person that can carry Oden's name and will. It's synonymous with Momo developing into a proper shogun and Luffy becoming Joyboy. All 3 of these ideas were directly challenged by Kaido and relates to his failure in becoming what he wanted.
Post automatically merged:

What do you guys think is the point of the whole bomb defusal plot thread for Yamato?
My theory is that it's meant for Yamato to replicate the Mountain God incident. It has the exact same setup where she's carrying out this mission without telling anyone about it. I don't see the point in her doing that if not for Oda setting her up to be misunderstood for not explaining what she's doing. It makes the best use of the fact that no one in the alliance side knows her so if they see her carrying the explosives, they'll think its her fault the island is coming apart like when Oden was carrying the boar.

At that point, she'd have to deal with what Kaido said about the samurai never accepting her and always being viewed as nothing but an oni. That's the perfect opportunity for character development.

Last edited:

It conveniently appeared once she got down from the roof and we all know Onigashima is not going to explode and kill everyone.

At first I thought this was going to be a way for her to interact with other characters (more than 2 panels at least), maybe team up or help with other stuff but at this point the only thing left is to take care of Kazenbo and the bombs themselves and I don't feel like there is much there for Yamato to gain as a character. Its a cool feat but I don't see it going any place that would improve her development.

Currently it just feels like when she was running around with Momo and Shinobu waiting for her time to fight Kaido, but without any of the personal involvement of rebelling against her father.
The plot has 3 purposes, all relevant to Yamao's character and future.

1. It reinforces her role as Wano's future guardian. Her devil fruit is based on a myth about a wolf deity that protected the Japanese from fires and theft. It's a moment that can cement her as the guardian of Wano in the eyes of the people.

2. It links to the idea of generational grudges. The kurozumi were persecuted because of the hatred of their clan and that led to them becoming villains. Yamao being the daughter of Kaido yet also being the one to put out this burning hate is symbolic as the people of Wano will come to accept her as one of their own citizens after the war.

3. It continues to link her with Momo. As the two are working together to stop the "worst case scenario". Whilst obviously everyone's helping in their own ways, they're the two Oda paired up to stop the ultimate crisis. Directly saving Wano through their actions.

As you said, many were expecting Yamao to finally interact with some straw hats. She literally ran right past a couple of them so it would've been easy to start something there. But Oda ignored it.
All of the emotional payoff was (supposed to be at least) tied to Tama, Momo and the scabbards. They're who's in Luffy's mind when he's fighting Kaido. Not Yamao. For the simple yet obvious reason in that he barely knows her. She's a rando he met for like 5 minutes who's name he consistently gets wrong.

That's the consequence of only first getting introduced in the very final stages of a decade long overarching plot.

Last edited:
Who's ready to talk about why a statement by Kaido negates anything Yamato says or wants herself since "she doesn't know better"? :myman:

You don't want to read walls of text for why Oda has been purposefully ignoring Carrot this whole arc and how Yamato is made just to be bait for her? Biased.
"Yamato's case is so much better than Carrot's that she has to be a red herring"- the go to argument of the Carrot crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.