Break Week Parallels in OP and Zoro

I think that in OP there are many characters who share parallels and character traits etc. and these are not things that are just assumed by the fans but they have been placed there by Oda with full intent in the manga and in the official supplementary/promotional material by the editors etc. There is a big debate on which sources can be treated as cannon or as not cannon.

We have characters duos etc. like Noland and Calgara, Roger and WB, Shanks and Mihawk who seem to be friends and rivals (the first one as powerlevel duo is not confirmed) and we say that they have some parallels. Or the more prominent and highly debated ones like Roger-Ray, Shanks-Benn, Luffy-Zoro etc. But the problem with this is that we forget sometimes that they may share a certain dynamism which is similar but in the end they were different characters in different eras with different dreams (not completely) and different destinies.

My issue with the Ray-Zoro parallel is based on the above paragraph, sure they do have some parallels but they are completely different persons with different dreams and circumstances. Zoro is his own character, he can have parallels with Ray, Mihawk, Oden, King etc. etc. but the most important ones for me are these in order:
1. Ryuma
2. Mihawk
3. Rayleigh

Again this is just my opinion but I think that his destiny and the comment about a second coming of Ryuma already being born is what makes his parallels with Ryuma more important. From narrative perspective Ryuma seems more like a legend than Mihawk and Ryumas significance is comparatively greater than Mihawks (at least until now). Ryuma had that role of defending Wano against the WG and pirates etc., known as the Sword God, the dragon slaying among other legends and as such he seems more of an influential figure (not powerscaling Ryuma above Mihawk because Mihawk will probably be stronger to make Zoro the strongest ever after Zoro defeats Mihawk), but Mihawks role seems even less until now in the overall scheme of things. The only reason I put him above Rayliegh is because he is the WSS and is Zoro's personal end goal. Ray is third because he has the physical (scars), the first meeting and CoC parallel and being to Roger what many assume Zoro to be for Luffy and love for alcohol, other than that I don't see a whole many parallels between the two.

I guess different people will have different levels of importance for the parallels but to me Zoro-Ryuma parallel is at this moment more significant than the others.

Dr. Hiriluk & Kureha
Noland & Calgara
Roger & WB
Shanks & Mihawk
Kaidou & Big Mom
Garp & Sengoku
Joy Boy & Man With Eye-Patch
Luffy & Zoro
Usopp & Nami
Yasuie & Hyogoro
... etc

Dr. Hiriluk Inspired Drum Island but Kureha is The Greatest Doctor there
Roger Inspired The Pirates but Whitebeard is The Strongest Man
Shanks will Inspire The Pirates but Mihawk is The Strongest Swordsman
Noland Inspired Story of Shandia but Calgara was Strongest Warrior of Shandia
Garp Inspired Marines but Sengoku was Fleet Admiral & Buddha
Yasuie Inspired The Samurai but Hyogoro is Strongest One (Currently ofc)
Luffy will Inspire The World but Zoro is Strongest Fighter
Joy Boy Inspired The World but Man With Eye-Patch was The Strongest Warrior of All Times
... etc

Noland was Executed but Calgara fought War to Liberate Shandia
Roger was Executed but WB fought War against WG
Yasuie was Executed but Hyogoro is leading Samurai against Beasts Pirates
Kaidou gonna Die this Arc but Big Mom will fight in Final War
Dr. Hiriluk Died during Wapol's Reign but Kureha witnessed the Fight where he was Defeated
Joy Boy......
Luffy.......
Usopp.......
Shanks.......
Garp.......
... etc

Dr. Hiriluk & Kureha
Noland & Calgara
Roger & WB
Shanks & Mihawk
Kaidou & Big Mom
Garp & Sengoku
Joy Boy & Man With Eye-Patch
Luffy & Zoro
Usopp & Nami
Yasuie & Hyogoro
... etc

Dr. Hiriluk Inspired Drum Island but Kureha is The Greatest Doctor there
Roger Inspired The Pirates but Whitebeard is The Strongest Man
Shanks will Inspire The Pirates but Mihawk is The Strongest Swordsman
Noland Inspired Story of Shandia but Calgara was Strongest Warrior of Shandia
Garp Inspired Marines but Sengoku was Fleet Admiral & Buddha
Yasuie Inspired The Samurai but Hyogoro is Strongest One (Currently ofc)
Luffy will Inspire The World but Zoro is Strongest Fighter
Joy Boy Inspired The World but Man With Eye-Patch was The Strongest Warrior of All Times
... etc

Noland was Executed but Calgara fought War to Liberate Shandia
Roger was Executed but WB fought War against WG
Yasuie was Executed but Hyogoro is leading Samurai against Beasts Pirates
Kaidou gonna Die this Arc but Big Mom will fight in Final War
Dr. Hiriluk Died during Wapol's Reign but Kureha witnessed the Fight where he was Defeated
Joy Boy......
Luffy.......
Usopp.......
Shanks.......
Garp.......
... etc

Zoro the strongest fighter he's not even top 5 on Wano currently

:ihaha:

I'd say:
1. Zoro and Rayleigh
2. Zoro and Mihawk
3. Zoro and Ryuma

So far Zoro has the most commons with Ray. Zoro and Mihawk sounds obvious enough but Mihawk isn't technically a part of Shanks' crew. Then we know almost nothing about Ryuma. Zoro's parallels with Ryuma might rank higher depending if we get a backstory on him on Wano or something.

Why are there powerscaling comments in this thread?
Kaido and Zoro (I would like to learn more about these parallels)
Shanks and Zoro parallels, lol, seems like you can find a parallel between any two characters in one piece.
Why are Ryuma and Joyboy presented as a duo, IIRC, Ryuma was alive a couple hundred years ago which puts him somewhere 200-500 years ago (depends on how couple is defined, there was a mention of him being alive 400 years ago but I think that is also an unconfirmed assumption) and Joyboy was alive 800 years ago and since then there has been none, so how are Ryuma and Joyboy thought of or presented as a duo except that Luffy and Zoro are thought of as some sort second comings of these characters.

And it has turned into a powerscaling thread after all. Kaido, Luffy and Big Mom are the only ones stronger than Zoro in Wano. Law, Kid and Yamato maybe equal or around his level but not stronger. King and Marco are also around that level but how Zoro defeated King after unlocking AdCoC I would say that Zoro is easily a tier above him now. King vs Zoro was an extreme diff overall since Zoro did take a lot of beating earlier on but after his powerup he just three shot King. Zoro fainted after the fight due to the effects of the medicine and not because of King.

There are several layers of parallelism for Luffy and Zoro

Current Pirate Era: Mihawk/Shanks

Old Pirate Era: Rayleigh/Roger

Ancient Era: Ryuma/Joy Boy
Good comparison u got there.
Future era its seem joyboy and ryuuma will seen once again.
Post automatically merged:

It's 2022 and folks still apparently believe Yamato is stronger than Zoro :zosleepy:
I believe zoro > yamato
Yamato > Sanji >= Jinbe
No offense but yamato is woman after all, sanji got no chance win after her.

Zoro the strongest fighter he's not even top 5 on Wano currently

:ihaha:
I like ur post, but he is not yet the strongest.
He is in ranked 4 maybe after duo yonko and luffy.

both are Swordmen
both are conquerors
they have scar on their left eyes
they like to drink
they have relation with mihawk
they have similar pose in their bounty poster

:handsup:
Hope they fight but i dont think its how oda work.
The system oda use to matching their opponent is not only by what u wrote above.
By looking from the fight matcup back then, zoro will fight the 2nd strongest from enemy crew. Itsthe basic to determine who is zoro opponent. After that the other will follow, like how they fight, and bla bla bla

Last edited: