Character Discussion Momo's treatment is horrific

B

Ballel

It's getting to the point where I honestly don't know if Momo haters are trolls, psychopaths or retards.

8 yr old kid, lost his family & village to brutal murderers & was almost killed- all of maybe 3 or 4 months ago.

Grow up.
I think some people don't hate Momo for being a crying kid but for how Oda handled him.

I'll be frank, I dislike most of last year's Momo character development.

Everything about him wanting to grow up and being hell bent on filling his father's shoes to Shinobu aging him is just so bad.

Momo is a kid inside. One can't simply skip 20 years of mental, social and emotional development.
Momo should have stayed a child. The Wano citizens should not have pressured him to take everything in his own hands.
The way most characters -including Luffy- treat Momo is abhorrent.
A child should not be forced to rule a country. A child does not have to lead an army.
That's not a child's reaponsibility! It's normal for a child to cry and it's not an 8 year old's job to 'man up'.

Instead of Momo, Hiyori, a grown person, should become shogun.
I dislike this obsession with firstborn male heirs. At least Oda made Momo the older sibling, had Hiyori been older and Momo still considered the heir Oda would have gone full misogynism mode.

Hiyori had all that is needed. As a kid she had an interest in fighting, she experienced hardship of growing up in her oppressed country, she knows how the people of Wano have suffered and changed. It was all there, all that you need to write a strong character with an active role in the story but NO Oda has to turn her into a pretty doll that doesn't do more than cry and make dramatic speeches.

Giving Hiyori an actual role in the raid would have done her character justice.
She should have formed a team with Kyoshiro.

Momo should have stayed a child with Hiyori as the protective older sister and together with Kyoshiro and Shinobu should raise Momo into a good and functional adult.

Thoughts?

I think Momo physically maturing was a good thing because it did show how much he was willing to sacrifice for his people. And I actually am really glad that Oda isn’t rushing his mental growth either.

Momo is still a bit of a scared kid who’s doing things because he’s told to. He will one day be the shogun of wano, but he’s not ready for it yet.

This is why Oda made Momo lament not knowing what’s at Momo what made his father so certain of what was best for wanos future.

I think Hiyori will be the shogun of wano while Momo stays with the straw hats until Momo returns to Wano ready to be shogun.

Well,but shonen manga are like this,they are made for young kids so they will have young kids fighting for saving the world,being leader of armies,and things like this. Remember Gohan in Dragon Ball,he was 5 when Piccolo took him to train to become a warrior and save Earth from the Sayajin. So i guess Momo is part of all of this element of shonen mangas.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
I think it's a meaningful showing displaying how in a war sacrifices have to be made even if that means sacrificing childhood, but I think this change is likely not even permanent anyway and will return being a kid

His father was hanging out with prostitutes at the same age. Luffy was standing up to grown men. Franky was good enough to get invited into Roger's crew. Robin experienced Ohara and survived with a bounty over 80 million all alone. Sanji was a total Germa victim but stood up to his dad.

fucking bum ass Tama managed to do her special trick like six volumes ago, having ventured to Onigashima by herself. Stop defending him, shit.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Oda thinks most of readers care about Momo, it's an editors faults here, they're supposed to alert the author if a character is popular or not.
What a nice way to put what I wanted to say with less trash talk.

About the editors part.

One is a Shueisha spy.

One watches hentai at work. Other suck off Oda telling him he does nothing wrong and that Robin should not have too much panel time.

Pretty sure they will alert Oda about such stuff:suresure:

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
But it takes 30 seconds to google the popularity of Momo and he is ranked 180th. I think this is more of an Oda issue than an editor issue. Oda just does not like being told what to do.
Noisy pervy brat with no quality as a character. Then u try to forcibly flip his character 180 to someone who actually dreams of saving people of his land, coming out like some LGBT bitch and etc.

tl;dr another force attempt at making someone matter where people already shoved him.

I think some people don't hate Momo for being a crying kid but for how Oda handled him.

I'll be frank, I dislike most of last year's Momo character development.

Everything about him wanting to grow up and being hell bent on filling his father's shoes to Shinobu aging him is just so bad.

Momo is a kid inside. One can't simply skip 20 years of mental, social and emotional development.
Momo should have stayed a child. The Wano citizens should not have pressured him to take everything in his own hands.
The way most characters -including Luffy- treat Momo is abhorrent.
A child should not be forced to rule a country. A child does not have to lead an army.
That's not a child's reaponsibility! It's normal for a child to cry and it's not an 8 year old's job to 'man up'.

Instead of Momo, Hiyori, a grown person, should become shogun.
I dislike this obsession with firstborn male heirs. At least Oda made Momo the older sibling, had Hiyori been older and Momo still considered the heir Oda would have gone full misogynism mode.

Hiyori had all that is needed. As a kid she had an interest in fighting, she experienced hardship of growing up in her oppressed country, she knows how the people of Wano have suffered and changed. It was all there, all that you need to write a strong character with an active role in the story but NO Oda has to turn her into a pretty doll that doesn't do more than cry and make dramatic speeches.

Giving Hiyori an actual role in the raid would have done her character justice.
She should have formed a team with Kyoshiro.

Momo should have stayed a child with Hiyori as the protective older sister and together with Kyoshiro and Shinobu should raise Momo into a good and functional adult.

Thoughts?

well said solis :cheers:
but like others said this is shonen kids n teen saving country and become "hero","shogun" lead the Rebellion is shonen theme
maybe ... just maybe oda will subvert the expectation n made hiyori shogun instead? who knows

Writing a story based on popularity is a shit tactic, for all the guff people give Oda for "ChaPter NuMber AuTism!" They sure like for him to craft the story to their o.c.d needs 🤔
I agree and disagree. I agree that author's generally shouldn't write their story based solely on which character is most popular, however, I disagree in the sense that an author should also keep in my mind that what is fun for them to write doesn't necessary translate to the reader's enjoyment so Oda should keep in mind what’s interesting to the audience, not what’s fun to do as a writer because those two things can be very different.

Well,but shonen manga are like this,they are made for young kids so they will have young kids fighting for saving the world,being leader of armies,and things like this. Remember Gohan in Dragon Ball,he was 5 when Piccolo took him to train to become a warrior and save Earth from the Sayajin. So i guess Momo is part of all of this element of shonen mangas.
this genre post timeskip aint young kids material