One Piece Episode 1026 - The Supernovas Strike Back! The Mission to Tear Apart the Emperors

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • 4/5

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • 3/5

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • 2/5

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • 1/5

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 0/5

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters
Can Toei PLEASE stop with the shitty auras. Not only do they not look good, but it makes it hard to even appreciate the animation because I can barely see it
Sometimes they go too far.

Don't think they went too far this episode. At least not generally. The worst aura tends to be that pitch black aura that is sometimes used to symbolize armament haki. You literally can't see anything when they use that.

Nobody asked. How many times you gonna repeat the same sentiment? We get it this is the greatest piece of action ever displayed on tv.
This is a good action episode for One Piece. I never went beyond that. There are tons of anime and movies that have better animation.

The reason I'm repeating this is because of comments like this.
What a god awful episode
How can anyone even enjoy this ?
This is easily one of the strongest episodes of the entire series by EVERY METRIC. The quality is excellent. The adaptation blows the manga out of the water easily in every regard.

This is the response from the fandom here.

WTF.
Do you do anything other than gargling on Toei's balls every Sunday?

You act like an autist or a bot that keeps talking about shit like no name animators as if anyone gives 2 shits about some no name animating a terrible scene and then you praise bad animation. The
Sorry, I'm just amazed how terribly ignorant and ungrateful the fandom is.

Dawg all I said was why is Luffy flying 😂 no way should that bother you this much. And no there is absolutely no justification for it, use that same sequence to come up with something clever. There's a line you shouldn't cross animating, you should stick within the confines of the character you are animating. You can't just randomly make abilities up that don't match their skillset/style, it muddies the entire experience.
Yeah, I don't really see the issue with that considering the tons of ways that characters can move around the sky in this series. You can argue artistic liberty all you want, but in a series where Luffy has done DBZ style vanishing tricks before, I don't think some action in the sky is remotely special.

Complain about auras and stuff
Complain about Zoro
Complain about filler

They are trying to attract new watchers to the anime, they are trying to compete with other anime, those other anime have these effects (they are still overdoing it in OP). What is their main target audience? They have to put the MCs on a pedestal even when there are 3 comparable characters.

To an average fan the episode and animation would seem very good, it's just that people don't like change, if they kept the pre-ts animation people would complain about that, Oda already said manga and anime are two different mediums meant to be consumed differently.

Average watchers look at how flashy a move is even if it is a no-named attack, they don't usually compare how it relates to different power levels or what effects in anime should be shown with it.

Luffy and Zoro are MCs, they are going to drive the sales, the SNs were an afterthought. The MCs will always look brighter than the rest.

I'm ok with the episode. it clarifies that luffy is nearly on par with Kaido in strength which would explain him barely clashing with Kaido for prolonged period of time with Acoc

i like that Anime makes Bm seem more active and on charge.. luffy and Kaido have their clashes it seems like luffy with ryou did improve significantly to be able to clash with Kaido to some extent..

Zoro and Law were clean this episode... zoro is is pushing his limit

all in all this seems like an pretty intense battle compared to the manga where BM is just a side character with the other characters constantly on their feet alot was going on.. and yea big ups for that aside from the whole DB aura thing which was excessive and it adds nothing but redundancy..

solid ep.. the background ost blended in pretty with with fast paced and fierce battle.

Complain about auras and stuff
Complain about Zoro
Complain about filler

They are trying to attract new watchers to the anime, they are trying to compete with other anime, those other anime have these effects (they are still overdoing it in OP). What is their main target audience? They have to put the MCs on a pedestal even when there are 3 comparable characters.

To an average fan the episode and animation would seem very good, it's just that people don't like change, if they kept the pre-ts animation people would complain about that, Oda already said manga and anime are two different mediums meant to be consumed differently.

Average watchers look at how flashy a move is even if it is a no-named attack, they don't usually compare how it relates to different power levels or what effects in anime should be shown with it.

Luffy and Zoro are MCs, they are going to drive the sales, the SNs were an afterthought. The MCs will always look brighter than the rest.
nah auras make the choreography look like shit all I could see was just auras clashing. at least tone it down

Great episode overall. Round a 8-9/10.

It's extremely smart and economical how Nakamura reuses cuts from previous episode or movies and adds them. They bring in a lot of quality and unless you pay really close attention and are a massive sakuga fan, you will just not notice that most of it is reused. (Like Izos pistol shots, Kawamatsu's strike, Law's shambles, the couple other stampede references etc. opening reusages are easier to spot but those didnt occur as much in the ep, besides thes cuts of Luffy haki-ing up & Law/Kid yeeting him.)
This is something I'd love to see done more in bad episodes with weak stuff. Just reuse some layouts from old really great scenes. It will elevate the episode heavily and people won't notice or complain, unless you abuse it like Niregi's Blast Breath that has been reused 4-5 times by now.

Other than that... i think the dialogue was cringe in a lot of spots - just pointing out and repeating the obvious. hopefully next ep has a better scriptwriter. The PV that had me disappointed in Nakamura luckily turned out to simply be a preview that didnt showcase his directorial skills. Had the preview shown off the amazing stills from the A-Part I wouldnt have bitched around.
The Preview didn't showcase any interesting dynamic angles Nakamura usually plays around with and utilizes creatively to produce his KINOGRAPHY.
I digress...
What else... most of the filler action was fun and great, but I worry that resources that could've spent on canon moments in the upcoming 2 episodes was used here. But I'll have to see about that. We should still get OnePeach, Vincent and more of the 1015/1017 crew on the upcoming episodes to hopefully help carry that burden.

This was probably the first time that the sound design really hurt my ears lol. The sound of the lightning FX. Idk why it just happened to disturb me now when people have been complaining about it for years, but yeah.

Playing Luffy's Awakening OST during the Aerial clash was HYPE AF. But I wish they would just stop with the auras. It's really less interesting to see an aura clash than actual punch to punch/kick to kick & it also takes away from seeing the actual drawings and motions.
I think the dilemma they're facing is that they have to showcase Luffy using Ryou, so they clad him in ryou aura (which in itself i guess would be borderline but still fine) but then when you have someone with aura and without aura fighting, that's a big imbalance and doesn't look great visually. So instead of finding a solution that showcases ryou without aura, they opted for giving Kaido one to even it out, which is why I understand a lot of fans frustration. I don't like it either.

This is just a spontaneous thing i got reminded of, but if they had Luffy & Kaido going at it in the air similar to Saitama & Boros, displayed as 2 extremely fast rays of light instead of "fast characters cladded in aura" then i want to believe people wouldn't be mad. As long as the speed beam they are displayed as, ceases to exist ones they've slowed down and aren't as fast anymore.

Saitam vs Boros (displaying speed and an intense fight)

(Source: https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/162980)

Luffy v Kaido

But yeah... here we can see that the auras are like... gigantic and take away from us seeing the characters actually having a cool exchange.

What more... i don't think adding Zoro at the end to help kick off big mom was necessary since he gets his special moment (apparently people think its a special moment but let's be real, Zoro deserved something better) next episode.

Lastly, Ragnaraku should have clearly displayed luffy losing the bout and not being able to defend himself against it.

Those are my criticisms.
I can praise a lot more about this episode than i criticized, but i think Sakugalad on twitter did a good enough job of it if anyone wants to read it. He goes in-depth about how good the board was and how well scenes were executed, as well as Nakamura's usage of certain directorial quirks and such.

As the former Series Director of the tournament Arc of DB Super, Veteran director and action storyboard beast, Nakamura is one of the greatest new assets the one piece team has. However, with that comes the occasional downside of him wanting to make One Piece fights something that they aren't.

Looking forward to Nakamura's next contribution.