General & Others This is absolutely shameless

This was nothing to complain about chief, it made sense that he doesn’t reveal it. It will be one of the last motivations after finding One Piece. Whether it’s a lame reveal or not also won’t matter that much anyways. The fact that it’s also Roger’s unfinished dream means it’s the benchmark that Luffy surpassed Roger in accomplishments. I mean think about becoming Pirate King nowadays, it’s just finding an island that Roger Pirates already went to. Sanji’s dream of finding the all blue is similar but more grandiose ‘cause he’ll be the first to do it (probably).

Luffy’s dream is concealed because it’ll be related to the ending and like any good author on the planet you try to get the viewers hooked as much as possible. Nothing to do with bad writing at all.
There is a difference between hooking your reader and baiting your reader. Oda is baiting his readers, not hooking them. Oda is essentially a used car salesman.

Really? I never got any foreshadowing that Luffy has any dreams other than pirate king, especially, when his dream was established since chapter 1 =>

and when Oda doubled down Luffy's dream in this iconic panel =>

Then he said the same thing immediately after timeskip to Rayleigh =>
"Rayleigh, I am gonna do it. I am gonna be the king of pirates"

Then he said the same to Big Mom and Kaido. He said his pirate king dream so many times that I have never really considered that his real dream could be something else.
We're finding out there's an actual purpose behind wanting to be the King of pirates. Just like from the perspective of the characters, how Zoro's motivation is entirely hidden and even we don't know what began this path. The relationship with Zeff, none of the characters know and it took Oda over ten years to follow up on the North Blue hint which was a situation we could never guess. Seriously, Sanji was introduced in 1998 and twenty years later turned out to be a mutant reject prince.

Luffy gained a brother out of nowhere and that brother was revealed to be the son of Roger. Then he had another brother out of nowhere who was revealed to be the right hand of his mysterious dad who then turned out to be the second coming of Ace. You may not like some or any of it, but that's by design and not a flaw ont the story being told.

So Luffy's dream went from "Become King of the Pirates" to "Become King of the Pirates in order to be the freest man in the world but I ain't actually explaining what my perception of freedom is to begin with" to "Become King of the Pirates in order to do a thing I think I would only have shot at after already becoming King of the Pirates but I ain't going to say what this thing is".

One Piece has to be the only story I have ever read where I don't actually know what the protagonist's main motivation is.
One Piece is a story where we find out things of characters we've known for decades. I can't tell you the shock post enies lobby when fucking Garp showed up and said oh yeah Dragon's your dad.

We have always known enough for Luffy to work. You can assume he likes pirate shit and wants to be the best, the most free. And that's really enough. This is just to add more context, which any fucking person should have expected. Remember when Shanks was astonished to tell Ray that Luffy said the same words as Roger? What's so amazing about a kid just saying they want to accomplish some pretty cool pirate shit in the age of pirates in itself? Would he give his arm for teach or Kaido since they're also the most ambitious of pirates?

Chapter one Luffy said he wanted to outdo Shanks. Weird example but Drake's dad also said his kid started out by looking at his music career and saying he wanted to be bigger and better than his dad. But is that enough to make his whole life? Years and decades of effort just to be better than some guy who kinda impresses you?

There is a difference between hooking your reader and baiting your reader. Oda is baiting his readers, not hooking them. Oda is essentially a used car salesman.
It would be 100% fine to cut out dialogue once for the sake of mystery. But Oda has done it four fucking times and this last time is the most pathetic of them all.

Really, the straw hats get to know but we don't? What the fuck is Oda thinking?

1060 chapters
and we still know shit
Oda skipped many important events and has still his silhouette fetish

Yes he can keep a secret what the OP is but Oda can show us for example Imu's design, some info about Dragon or Shanks etc.
The meaning of the D. could’ve been revealed in Wano

Oda will probably solve every single mystery at once (in Laugh Tale) but this is not " good writing"
It’s been 1060 chapters and 25 years man, it’s time

Mysteries are good when they feel natural. But this isn't natural. This just seems like Oda is baiting the readers.

This is the closest example I can think of where another manga did something even remotely similar to what Oda has been doing. But even this is incomparable. Because:
  1. Dabi isn't the main character
  2. This is the first time Dabi has revealed his identity
  3. Horikoshi tells us who Dabi is within this very arc
  4. The blacked out speech bubble and Hawks's stare afterwords adds to the tension of the scene
Luffy's dream in 1060 adds nothing but makes Oda look like a shameless hack

that's actually a mystery

Luffy's dream isn't a real mystery. Literally every major character knows about it, but the reader doesn't. Oda needs to go out of his way to conceal Luffy's dream from the reader, which is why its so fucking bad.
I am glad you have your ad hoc definition of Mistery, but I can make you countless examples of misteries that everybody knows that are still misteries for the reader.
Like Naruto being the hokage son, or who Void is in berserk, a ton of people in universe know the mistery yet it's still a mistery for the reader.
Near's plan in death note is a mistery to the reader, but all his colleagues know it.

I just didn't expect him to still be this bad.

I thought okay, this is the final saga, he will stop baiting. But he just keeps doing it.
Post automatically merged:

Other manga do it to some extent. Like in my hero, how the audience didn't know what Deku's additional quirks were, despite deku learning from all might and the other vestiges.

But with that, it never felt nearly as forced as it does with OP. Okay, we don't know all of Deku's abilities going into a battle, that's good, that's how its supposed to be. That makes the fights more interesting.

What isn't okay is not knowing the main character's driving motivation fucking 1000+ chapters and over 20 years into the series. Literally shit that should have been revealed in chapter 1 being turned into a massive mystery for the audience, all while every important character is already in on it. It feels like Oda is trolling the readers.
But why would Oda reference his dream twice in the past 2 years if the answer wasn't soon? He might reveal it in this arc, for all we know.

This is some of the worst writing I've ever seen of a major mangaka. Like someone, anybody, please tell me what's going on in these two pages.

A manga is supposed to tell a story. Luffy is the main character. So it only makes sense that the manga would follow Luffy's story, and not unnecessarily skip over major things that Luffy does for the sake of maintaining viewer interest, right? right?

I could excuse this in the past but now this is just absolutely shameless. This dream which is supposedly a massive mystery has been referenced for over 500 chapters and Oda still won't let us know what it is. Why? is there any reason we shouldn't know what it is? I guess not; Shanks knows, sabo knows, rayleigh knows, yamato knows, momo knows, and the entire fucking straw hat crew knows. Every important character knows, yet the author wants to keep us in the dark for no reason whatsoever.

Whenever a character is about it bring it up, the manga just skips over it for literally no reason. What the fuck? This isn't how a story is supposed to be told. The fact that Oda has done it so many times now just leads me to believe that the story has no real substance. That he needs to keep this going as long as he can because otherwise nobody would care if Luffy just said his dream this chapter.

And I'm worried what this is going to mean for the future. When Luffy goes to raftel, are we just going to see a shot of all the SHs laughing, and then the question of "what is the one piece" won't be answered until 100+ chapters later once the final war is done? I guess so, this is how Oda writes one piece after all.

Luffy's dream was mentioned 4 times now. In the Luffy flashback, in the oden flashback, in Yamato's flashback, and now. And Oda is still pulling this crap. For what? Do any of you truly believe that the reveal of Luffy's dream will be deserving of all Oda has done to conceal it? I really, really doubt it. If anything, it will just feel underwhelming.
Didn't you say you were dropping the manga like months ago? Or was that proclamation just fkr attention like this post is.

Its not "the worst writing" anyone has ever seen, its obviously an integral part to the conclusion lf the story. At this point, why are you even still reading it other than to hate read it?

Didn't you say you were dropping the manga like months ago? Or was that proclamation just fkr attention like this post is.

Its not "the worst writing" anyone has ever seen, its obviously an integral part to the conclusion lf the story. At this point, why are you even still reading it other than to hate read it?
You have to understand that some people don't have passions or interest of any kind, so they have nothing to do.

After 1059 chapters and 25 years, finally Oda is naming a chapter “Luffy’s dream”. For any long time readers this means that in this chapter we will know what Luffy’s dream is (even tho it was suppose to be being PK).

But in the chapter Luffy does not reveal his dream. After 1059 chapters and 25 years we still don’t know what is Luffy true dream.

“But Oda cannot reveal Luffy’s dream now because it will spoil the EOS”

So why the fuck he named the chapter “Luffy’s dream” if he did not intended to reveal it?

To bait the audience, to make people do theories and theories. There was no narrative sense to named the chapter like this for not revealing the dream in it thus why it is bad writting.

Note that Oda is meticulously destroying a lot of things that he has established in chapter one:

-Shanks refused kids on his boat => Nope just Luffy
-Luffy’s dream is to be the Pirate king => Nope that just one step
-Luffy ate the gomu gomu no mi, a stupid paramecia => Nope Luffy ate a Zoan which is a very hax fruit

I wonder what will be next ? :saden::saden:

We already imagined the dream or other characters already told us, why make such a mess for something that we possibly already know? you look like a 5 year old who can't wait for his cake