Chapter Discussion ONE PIECE CHAPTER 979: FAMILY TROUBLE

rate:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good chapter,nothing mind blowing but there were some good interactions this chapter.
Jinbei interacting with the strawhats as a member is cool as he goes along with the flow.I was pretty neutral and indifferent to him prior to him joining,but he seems nice enough to be liked like the other strawhats.
The person spying Jinbei and Robin,could it be Yamato? The title of the chapter being "family issues" seems to indicate that.
Luffy is already in kaido's castle-lol that was fast pacing-wise--but Kid and Zoro are nowhere to be seen,this may indicate they are going to have their separate encounters before meeting Kaido and Orochi.
The F6 dynamic is cool and their interactions with Kaido is interesting as they seem to respect him very much,particularly Sasaki who has shown his huge respect for kaido these last 2 chapters.
Sasaki and Who's who seem to think they are strong enough to challenge the okanban,and they don't seem to take orders from anybody aside from Kaido which may indicate they are probably conquerors like Eustass kid and luffy.I want to see how the tobbi Roppo will interact with the Bm pirates when they meet, knowing Sasaki and Who's who,they aren't going to be taking orders from any of Bm's kids,neither will they be chill with them.
Luffy about to wreck havoc at the end of the chapter is awesome because the earlier he ruins the plan, the earlier the battle will start.
Hopefully next chapter some flying six stumble across the kid and strawhat pirates for the war matchups to at least be properly guessed.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
I really liked the chapter, the Beast Pirates interactions were extremely cute and wholesome. It was the highlight of the chapter for me, so I think I would focus only on it.

This page alone was just amazing:

Kaido is really chill with the Tobi Roppo and treats them like family (I guess in the gangster/Yakuza sense).
Sasaki wants to drink with Kaido, and addresses him as "Kaido san":

Sasaki and Who's Who's naked ambitions are refreshing to see:

The Beast Pirates are a group where might makes right, and only the strong are deserving of respect. On one hand, Kaido doesn't care much for his lower underlings and has injured (maybe even killed, but knowing Oda probably not) some of them in his drunken rampages. On the other hand, the strong get their due respect and are held in high regard by Kaido himself.

Ulti is being pretty affectionate towards Kaido. She addresses him very respectfully using "sama" and "Lord":

This makes Sasaki's use of "san" more noteworthy, and certainly highlights him among the other Tobi Roppo.

Ulti is not afraid to smack talk Kaido either:

Given Kaido's relationship with the Tobi Roppo, perhaps it's not disrespect born out of fearlessness but out of familiarity. On the other hand, she does address Kaido respectfully, so it's hard to make a call here. I may reevaluate this after reading the official translations.

The current translation makes it seem like all the Tobi Roppo are ex pirate captains, and they are collectively aiming for the rank of All Star (with Who's Who and Sasaki being by far the most ambitious). With Drake also being an ex pirate captain, this fits. I will wait for the official translation to make a call on this though. This seems like a W for you @Monkey D. Luffy.

I loved this panel with Kaido, King, Jack and Who's Who. As of right now, Who's Who and Sasaki are appearing to be the most ambitious (and most formidable of the Tobi Roppo). Jack and King for their part are unfazed by the challenge.

@Xione do you still think the Numbers are superior combatants?

I loved King's actions this chapter. He discovered a problem that befell the Beast Pirates and was proactive in going to resolve this. He did so without prompting or a request from Kaido:

Working to fix Kaido's problems before they can fester. He also did something similar when Big Mom was invading Wano. Without being requested to by Kaido, he took initiative and kicked down Big Mom's ship.

He seems to be a highly competent subordinate. I worship competence, so King is already ranking pretty high for me.
Kaido was nonchalant about King using his name, so perhaps he trusts him especially closely.

It wouldn't be surprising given that King diligently works to put out the fires that befall the Beast Pirates.

I'm an Ulti stan, but Black Maria won my heart with this panel alone. Oh my God, those eyes are to die for.

Whatever important announcement Kaido has to make involves Yamato and would cause confusion if he were to say it now.

Some have speculated a marriage, but it doesn't seem to fit the bill IMO as Kaido and Big Mom would already be announcing their alliance prior to that, and such a marriage would be sealing the deal on the alliance, so it's unlikely to cause confusion.

The way Yamato was talked about did not give me the impression that he was a little runt. He appears to have a rebellious streak, so I would guess he's a late teenager or early twenties. Furthermore, bringing him back is by Black Maria's own admission "quite a difficult task". Again, I would reevaluate after reading the official translations.

Overall, I will give the chapter a "Great" rating.

Last edited:
YES, Luffy's entering battle mindset. Waiting for him to start wrecking havoc! But there's a small chance that he will endure for now. I'm good either way.
I liked the ending. I know people are going to say luffy will ruin the plan again but I don't give a fuck about that stupid plan anyway.
Them knocking at the front door is actually part of law's plan. It's possible that if they proceed silently, Law's plan would be ruined lol. Would be hilarious:vistalaugh:.

BangOO🍅

Pepebusi Spammer
Calling it now

Jack and Queen will lose their all-star positions to Who's who and Sasaki

Those two will fight Zoro and Sanji

Jack and Queen will fight Jinbe and the Minks
The story will be more interesting if Who'Who failed to find Yamato. That would lead to his betrayal or his anger toward Beast Pirates because how ambitious he was.

So if Kaido's important thing he wants to tell his guys is that he plans to marry his son with one of Bm's daughters to strengthen their Big mom-Beast pirate alliance(which could legitmately be the case,as he absolutely wants his son to attend the banquet),Who do you think it could be among Bm's daughters? I think either Flampe or Smoothie depending on Yamato's age which could justify flampe's presence in wano in her case,and could justify smoothie's presence in a useful way in her case.
Anyway,i'm putting my money on of those 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.