Questions & Mysteries Is Brook a real character?

Brook always felt like a character that was shoved in without much to do, except crack a skeleton joke every now and then.
But tbh post timeskip most strawhats that aren't Luffy, Zoro and Sanji feel like background characters. Even their gags aren't as frequent as they used to be. Honestly I don't remember when was the last time Brook made a skeleton joke. Or the last time Chopper went retard after someone praised him for something. They just kinda exist in the background.

Brook is in my opinion a character, who I can sadly not relate to very much. He seems shallow, because he lacks facial expressions - I know it is hard for Oda to make a skeleton apply facial expressions. But with Brook he hasn't quite found the right way, yet in making him somehow "human" – to me at least. And he is rather a background character, because I feel, like he hasn't much important stuff to tell us.

And then we have his character as a whole. If he is saying something, it is often times related to himself as a skeleton - which - after a while, can come off as a little self centered. And then he has not that much other reactional output other than the usual exaggerated reactions and the perverted comment.

His sometimes extroverted and pushy self is not, what I would like to have around me on a ship. I would rather like Usopp or Luffy.

Here the character would tremendously profit from a little more developmental dedication and could become a much better version than we see now.