Questions & Mysteries Is Akainu really a part of SWORD?!

Do you think Akainu is a member of SWORD?

• Yes

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Was a part of SWORD in the past but not now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I found this on twitter and I think it's worth sharing here.

We saw Akainu in the opening today just after X Drake and Coby. A lot of people were joking about Toei spoiling him and Fujitora being in SWORD like they did with Kyoushiro = Denjiro. But then, I came across this image on Twitter-

People aren't Iaughing anymore, lol. Also, I don't really think Oda would randomly put a sword tattoo there. What do you guys think about this though?

EDIT: I added another option to the poll due to some replies.

Last edited:
Z
I doubt it. Sword is probably a secret marine organization and all it’s members are “good” marines.

We also only witnessed Akainu reacting to the Yonko alliance but there were no panels of him reacting to CP-0 making deals with Orochi, so it doesn’t look like him and Drake are in communication.

BangOO🍅

Pepebusi Spammer
First thing, we need to find out when Sword is actually made. Is sword made before timeskip or after timeskip?

If Sword made before timeskip, that means The veterans like Kong,Garp,Sengoku,Tsuru etc should be the one create the Sword.

If Sword made after timeskip, that means Sword might be made because of Aokiji and Akainu fight in Punk Hazard.

Btw, i'll tag Marines expert about this
@Admiral Lee Hung @MarineHQ62 @SmokedOut @King7 @Herasux @Akai2

Z
I doubt it. Sword is probably a secret marine organization and all it’s members are “good” marines.

We also only witnessed Akainu reacting to the Yonko alliance but there were no panels of him reacting to CP-0 making deals with Orochi, so it doesn’t look like him and Drake are in communication.
Forgot to add that it makes sense that there should be a sect of the marines who oppose Akainu’s absolute justice.

Forgot to add that it makes sense that should be a sect of the marines who oppose Akainu’s absolute justice.
Yup he is a piece of shit but don't forget his despise for the World Government. I also think that Akainu really wanted Doflamingo and Luffy to be taken out but especially Doffy. Him being a sword member is honestly perfect coz he seems like the guy that would go vs WG. Also, that'll be quite a surprising reveal tbh.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
I've heard of the theory that suggests that Aokiji and Akainu fight was just for show to cover up their joint creation of Sword. They'd be working to take over the Marines from within. But I disagree with it. I don't think Akainu fits in with Sword's overall theme. We were just talking about this in the Marines FC

Oda pretty much confirmed that Fuji and Greenbull will be rebellious agents against current marine policies.

Fuji, Greenbull, Drake, Koby, And Aokiji (who's possibly a SWORD spy among the BB pirates) will be new Marine leadership EOS after Aokiji/Imu are taken down. If Akainu were to join with the "good" marines, it'd need a lot of character work to get him there.

Last edited:
I found this on twitter and I think it's worth sharing here.

We saw Akainu in the opening today just after X Drake and Coby. A lot of people were joking about Toei spoiling him and Fujitora being in SWORD like they did with Kyoushiro = Denjiro. But then, I came across this image on Twitter-

People aren't Iaughing anymore, lol. Also, I don't really think Oda would randomly put a sword tattoo there. What do you guys think about this though?
Adding on this:

Most people agree on SWORD being an anti-WG marine squad. Now, I feel like Oda wants us to believe that it's a group consisting of the so-called 'good' marines but I personally feel like he'll throw a curveball and make Akainu the leader of SWORD. We should remember how much he despises the WG. However, I don't think he's a redeemable character. He fucking killed more than half(?) the population of Ohara without 2nd thoughts.

The only thing I can't make sense of is Coby working under Akainu.

BangOO🍅

Pepebusi Spammer
Adding on this:

Most people agree on SWORD being an anti-WG marine squad. Now, I feel like Oda wants us to believe that it's a group consisting of the so-called 'good' marines but I personally feel like he'll throw a curveball and make Akainu the leader of SWORD. We should remember how much he despises the WG. However, I don't think he's a redeemable character. He fucking killed more than half(?) the population of Ohara without 2nd thoughts.

The only thing I can't make sense of is Coby working under Akainu.
Yes, he isnt redeemable character because of Ohara incident. But there is a chance if Akainu is the leader of Sword.

Yes, he isnt redeemable character because of Ohara incident. But there is a chance if Akainu is the leader of Sword.
Well, tbh everything he did wasn't even that bad or wrong. If even a single historian managed to sneak inside the ship and made it to safety, that person would be out there with the knowledge to unlock weapons capable of *literally destroying the entire world*. You can make an argument that he could've at least left the Kids or keep everyone in a secured area but this really was the best option. But yes, the way it was done was way too inhumane. Anyways, the conclusion remains the same- Akainu is a piece of shit and has to die. :absojustice::absojustice:

SmokedOut

Life Is Good ✌️
I don't see it out of the realm of possibility that he's a member of Sword, or even created it. Despite Sakasuki's loyalty to the World Gov/5 Elders, he doesn't always agree with their decisions. He particularly is not a fan of CPO/Celestial Dragons, so I wouldn't be surprised if he created a unit to directly oppose them. Aegis (means shield) vs Sword.

Last edited:
I'm not sure he is a member of SWORD but they definitely answer to him as he is the fleet admiral.

Whether he's a "good" or "bad" marine doesn't really matter.

I figure the members are assigned to special missions and he is informed about the advancement of those missions.

We have to keep in mind that good marine isn't a thing. Some of them try to do their best to be of help for the people but they are a military force and basic dogs. If the celestial scumbags ordered them to kill innocent citizen they have 2 choices, leave the marines or do it.

Despite all his trashtalk, Garp didn't even have the balls to save his grandchild and was about to witness his other grandchild being donutted by Akainu if it wasn't for shanks, jimbei, buggy and law.