General & Others Sword (Zoro's) fights are really boring in One Piece

I would say it's a combination of a lot of things like Oda doesn't want to draw people stabbed often or every swordsman using ranged slashes ... with these Sword fights imo are really unsatisfying or boring to read/watch in One Piece

and just to be clear it's not just about Sword fights but this occur in Sword fights more than other but the final clash being skipped is really unsatisfying imo and this is why ppl don't have Katakuri vs Luffy > Lucci vs Luffy even tho Kata's fight was better for 99% of it but look at each ending :

wtf is even going on at the end ? and in manga it's even worse like wtf is this :

Now compare it to the Lucci fight , it was full emotional AND EVERY SINGLE PUNCH LANDED :

In the manga it was even better :

To add on this before talking about Swordsman fights , here's another M3 in Sanji who gets to fight (sometimes lmao when Oda stop using him for pervert shit) but again just like Luffy most of his final attacks are shown to the full impact and it's so good to see

Let's get to Swordsman fights shall we , it goes like this :

- Long range slashes
- for the final blow teleports behind you and the fight is over

And yes while Zoro looks badass af in all of these , I personally really dislike it and my dislike for sword fights began after Skypiea when Zoro learned ranged slashes (that shit is so boring) ...

at least I hope Zoro won't teleport behind Kaido when he's cutting him and I hope the fight vs Mihawk one day won't be ranged slashes vs ranged slashes

Also now that I'm re-reading One Piece it's not just a Sword/Zoro problem anymore since the TS most final attacks from Luffy are lackluster and lack any impact (like Cracker and Katakuri were wack af) and Sanji doesn't have any sadly

I agree, Zoro has some of the most boring fights in the whole manga, not only because of his own limited style but also because of the character himself (let's say he isn't the most entertaining) and the enemies he happens to face (his versus with Kaku was probably the best because of Kaku himself, basically).

Anyways, the issue with the lack of emotional weight behind fights and their resolution is getting even worse overall, I'd say. How Oda didn't show Kiku defeating Kanjuro or the dukes getting their revenge against Jack is complete absurdity, those were two very powerful moments and I couldn't give less damn about them because they were ultimately off-screened in their climax.

I would say it's a combination of a lot of things like Oda doesn't want to draw people stabbed often or every swordsman using ranged slashes ... with these Sword fights imo are really unsatisfying or boring to read/watch in One Piece

and just to be clear it's not just about Sword fights but this occur in Sword fights more than other but the final clash being skipped is really unsatisfying imo and this is why ppl don't have Katakuri vs Luffy > Lucci vs Luffy even tho Kata's fight was better for 99% of it but look at each ending :

wtf is even going on at the end ? and in manga it's even worse like wtf is this :

Now compare it to the Lucci fight , it was full emotional AND EVERY SINGLE PUNCH LANDED :

In the manga it was even better :

To add on this before talking about Swordsman fights , here's another M3 in Sanji who gets to fight (sometimes lmao when Oda stop using him for pervert shit) but again just like Luffy most of his final attacks are shown to the full impact and it's so good to see

Let's get to Swordsman fights shall we , it goes like this :

- Long range slashes
- for the final blow teleports behind you and the fight is over

And yes while Zoro looks badass af in all of these , I personally really dislike it and my dislike for sword fights began after Skypiea when Zoro learned ranged slashes (that shit is so boring) ...

at least I hope Zoro won't teleport behind Kaido when he's cutting him and I hope the fight vs Mihawk one day won't be ranged slashes vs ranged slashes

Also now that I'm re-reading One Piece it's not just a Sword/Zoro problem anymore since the TS most final attacks from Luffy are lackluster and lack any impact (like Cracker and Katakuri were wack af) and Sanji doesn't have any sadly
Yh Pre Timeskip Luffy had far better finishers than Post Timeskip. Thats a fact.

I agree, Zoro has some of the most boring fights in the whole manga, not only because of his own limited style but also because of the character himself (let's say he isn't the most entertaining) and the enemies he happens to face (his versus with Kaku was probably the best because of Kaku himself, basically).

Anyways, the issue with the lack of emotional weight behind fights and their resolution is getting even worse overall, I'd say. How Oda didn't show Kiku defeating Kanjuro or the dukes getting their revenge against Jack is complete absurdity, those were two very powerful moments and I couldn't give less damn about them because they were ultimately off-screened in their climax.
Not sure if it was with you I had this conversation right before the Minks fought Jack but here we go again; One Piece has never been about ''revenge'' or ''vengeance'' so you should keep your expectations low when it comes to that.
Even ones with real revenge motives were sidelined for a ''bigger cause'' (Law in DR is good example).

Not sure if it was with you I had this conversation right before the Minks fought Jack but here we go again; One Piece has never been about ''revenge'' or ''vengeance'' so you should keep your expectations low when it comes to that.
Even ones with real revenge motives were sidelined for a ''bigger cause'' (Law in DR is good example).
The whole current plot started because Law wanted revenge on Doflamingo so he tricked Luffy into taking Kaido down, the battle that ultimately established Blackbeard as an emperor was about seeking payback, Kyros's versus in Dressrosa was about vengeance... and Inuarashi and Nekomamushi both stated that Jack should better be prepared the moment they met again.

Not only your statement is false, but we shouldn't care about it because the grudge against Jack was factually there, we had explicit clues of an incoming payback against him for all the suffer he caused, Oda indeed drew all the elemments for that battle..., but in the most important moment he decided to off-screen the emotional climax after five years of wait and, instead, gave us static images of something nobody cared about.

So this is way easier: if Oda opened a revenge plot five years ago, put Nekomamushi and Inuarashi in front of Jack and actually suggested their revenge, why should we exactly accept that he took away from us the moment of actual interest in which the minks finally achieve their payback? It makes zero sense to off-screen that powerful moment and it's clearly a huge issue if Oda prefers to dedicate a full chapter to irrelevant Urashima yet spares just a couple of panels of Jack receiving what he deserved by the people he mutilated forever both physically and as a country.

That’s kind of a staple in shonen manga, when you gotta keep the gore as low as possible so you get the nonsensical, teleportation finishes.

I wouldn’t say Zoro’s fights are boring, Ryuma is one of my favorites, it didn’t have the typical finish and was a nice back and forth. Mr 1 is hella overrated though.
Not rly

Look at B vs Sasuke.Nice choreography and decent moves

Oda´s fights are either flashy or "look,i can hit hard"