Questions & Mysteries "My audience will not be satisfied if Luffy defeats Kaido just because his punch is so strong"-Eichirro Oda [Paraphrased]

Did Oda Let Himself Down?

• Total voters

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Here is the actual quote:

Oda "When Kaidou appeared for the first time, I said that Luffy can't defeat such a strong character yet. And I'm yet to know how Luffy would defeat Kaidou. Probably my audience will not be satisfied if the reason for defeating Kaidou is just because Luffy's punch is so strong. Luffy and I have to find a solution somehow."

Source 1

And Source 2

This needs to be talked about. Luffy's entire character-arc in Wano was just him powering up his punches. The only reason he's going to defeat Kaido, literally, is because he powered up his attacks to be able to injure Kaido. Metaphorically, Luffy is only defeating Kaido because his punches got stronger.

Which Oda explicitly said would be a disappointing way to write the Kaido fight.

Some might say "Oh well, Luffy isn't defeating Kaido because his punches got stronger, he's defeating Kaido because his Haki got stronger"

Which is a nonsense argument. You may as well say "Luffy isn't defeating Kaido because his punches got stronger, he's defeating Kaido because his kicks got stronger"

It completely misses the point of the criticism, that Luffy vs Kaido is not going to be different from any other fight that Luffy has had in the manga. Now Luffy has earned an invisible powerup which has turned Kaido into a generic "let me punch him as hard as I can over and over again until he gives up" fight which Luffy is notorious for.

When Oda first gave the above quote, it's hard not to imagine that he was trying to wrack his brain to make Luffy vs Kaido different and more memorable. But it looks like this fight is going to be the same as any other Luffy fight both artistically and narratively. Just Luffy spamming punch attacks over and over again until Kaido gives up.

I pitty those who actually thought Luffy learning advanced Haki was actually going to make the Kaido fight different from every other Luffy fight in some way, and that includes myself lol.

Did Oda let himself down here? Is this a disappointing way to carry out this fight?

@Light D Lamperouge @Owl Ki @Blackbeard @LuthonTheDragDown @Jiihad @Haoshoku @Van @Bogard @Cinera @ShishioIsBack @Jo_Ndule @Chrono etc etc etc

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Did Oda let himself down here? Is this a disappointing way to carry out this fight?
My future sight is still too weak to know if the fights going to let me down.

Im guessing it’ll be more of a team collaboration in that case, with Kidd and Luffy punching him pretty hard with some interference from the other supernova here or there.

Oda "When Kaidou appeared for the first time, I said that Luffy can't defeat such a strong character yet. And I'm yet to know how Luffy would defeat Kaidou. Probably my audience will not be satisfied if the reason for defeating Kaidou is just because Luffy's punch is so strong. Luffy and I have to find a solution somehow."

Source 1

And Source 2

This needs to be talked about. Luffy's entire character-arc in Wano was just him powering up his punches. The only reason he's going to defeat Kaido, literally, is because he powered up his attacks to be able to injure Kaido. Metaphorically, Luffy is only defeating Kaido because his punches got stronger.

Which Oda explicitly said would be a disappointing way to write the Kaido fight.

Some might say "Oh well, Luffy isn't defeating Kaido because his punches got stronger, he's defeating Kaido because his Haki got stronger"

Which is a nonsense argument. You may as well say "Luffy isn't defeating Kaido because his punches got stronger, he's defeating Kaido because his kicks got stronger"

It completely misses the point of the criticism, that Luffy vs Kaido is not going to be different from any other fight that Luffy has had in the manga. Now Luffy has earned an invisible powerup which has turned Kaido into a generic "let me punch him as hard as I can over and over again until he gives up" fight which Luffy is notorious for.

When Oda first gave the above quote, it's hard not to imagine that he was trying to wrack his brain to make Luffy vs Kaido different and more memorable. But it looks like this fight is going to be the same as any other Luffy fight both artistically and narratively. Just Luffy spamming punch attacks over and over again until Kaido gives up.

I pitty those who actually thought Luffy learning advanced Haki was actually going to make the Kaido fight different from every other Luffy fight in some way, and that includes myself lol.

@Light D Lamperouge @Owl Ki @Blackbeard @LuthonTheDragDown @Jiihad @Haoshoku @Van @Bogard @Cinera @ShishioIsBack @Jo_Ndule @Chrono etc etc etc
The fight not even over yet. What are you even talking about.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Luffy's punch doesn't get harder. He learned an entirely different concept of Haki, that's the point.

Don't punch harder but change the technique. We saw numerous characters state that Luffy does something differently than using hardening.

This is what Oda was talking about.
Try reading the full OP [opening post] next time lol. I already addressed this:

Actually there are 2 hax ability around them, kid and law, both of them will support luffy with their ability, maybe kid awakening can manipulate iron in kaido or big meme body or something like that, and law will somehow use stronger version of gamma knife too....

Luffy punch still hit hard and repetitive yes, but it wasnt luffy alone who will defeat kaido

Not really. At the time of that quote, he hadn’t introduced FS. That’s one of the ways Luffy will beat Kaido. The others on the rooftop are playing a role in taking down Kaido, that’s nothing to do with Luffy’s punch. Ryou hadn’t been introduced yet either. Big Mom could play a massive role in Kaido’s defeat if she backstabs him. These are all things that are more than “punching really hard.”

It was always going to come down to Luffy, at one stage, punching Kaido into submission, but that’s not what Oda was talking about,

B

Ballel

It doesn't matter what Oda says. Luffy will defeat Kaido by punching him with internal destruction haki while screaming that he will be the pirate King for the 101st time, a lot of people here will roll their eyes, reddit will pretend it was the best thing ever, Oda will move onto the next arc to do the exact same thing and his yes-men editors won't dare question his writing
A slight change

Kaido can be damaged by iner destruction haki
Luffy = Have it √
Law = His df ability is based on Similar concept with more hax √
Kidd = Magnetic df , awakening might crush blood iron could cause inner organ damage. Will have to wait for this one..
I guess Oda knows how to deal with Kaido

Source 1

And Source 2

The whole point of Luffy learning advanced CoA was to defeat Kaido "whiteout touching him" and as of right now, Luffy can't do that.

I assume it's due to Luffy mot being able to fully master it yet, and during the fight against Kaido Luffy will master it to a degree, that he can damage Kaido whiteout even punching him (physically contacting with his skin). In that case, it wouldn't be Luffy's punches that became strong but Luffy's haki/will that improved to a degree that Luffy can damage Kaido whiteout physical contact, just like Whitbeard and Roger clush. 👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇

Internal destruction haki (I will use this for lack of better term) can be used not just with punches but also with swords or any other types of weapons and fighting styles.
While this is only my assumption, I think that what Roger and Whitbeard used there is the fully mastered internal destruction haki to its fullest degree, something that Luffy will be able to do only closer to the end of Wano (in Luffy vs Kaido climax). Internal destruction haki Is not a punch but but a haki thecnique... there's a difference between haki infused punch and haki thecnique:
  1. In first case, you use haki to increase the amount of damage you can do by physically touching your target, that's usually called punch, kick, cut etc.
  2. In second case, you use only haki based thecnique that has no physical aspect to it. Yes, you might need to use your hands or weapons to decrease the distance between you and the target, but the fact is, is that you do not use physical damage with your muscles.
Haki is the manifestation of your will, it isn't physical strength. So Luffy doesn't use or will not use his physical strength to defeat Kaido but rather his will power/haki. The only reason you're confused about this, is because Oda is very inconsistent with his storytelling/writing, logic doesn't exist in one piece. The only way someone can enjoy one piece is by putting your brain in to the box and throwing it into the river, don't think or use your brain otherwise one piece will lose everything that you like in it.

B

Ballel

The whole point of Luffy learning advanced CoA was to defeat Kaido "whiteout touching him" and as of right now, Luffy can't do that.

I assume it's due to Luffy mot being able to fully master it yet, and during the fight against Kaido Luffy will master it to a degree, that he can damage Kaido whiteout even punching him (physically contacting with his skin). In that case, it wouldn't be Luffy's punches that became strong but Luffy's haki/will that improved to a degree that Luffy can damage Kaido whiteout physical contact, just like Whitbeard and Roger clush. 👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇

Internal destruction haki (I will use this for lack of better term) can be used not just with punches but also with swords or any other types of weapons and fighting styles.
While this is only my assumption, I think that what Roger and Whitbeard used there is the fully mastered internal destruction haki to its fullest degree, something that Luffy will be able to do only closer to the end of Wano (in Luffy vs Kaido climax). Internal destruction haki Is not a punch but but a haki thecnique... there's a difference between haki infused punch and haki thecnique:
  1. In first case, you use haki to increase the amount of damage you can do by physically touching your target, that's usually called punch, kick, cut etc.
  2. In second case, you use only haki based thecnique that has no physical aspect to it. Yes, you might need to use your hands or weapons to decrease the distance between you and the target, but the fact is, is that you do not use physical damage with your muscles.
Haki is the manifestation of your will, it isn't physical strength. So Luffy doesn't use or will not use his physical strength to defeat Kaido but rather his will power/haki. The only reason you're confused about this, is because Oda is very inconsistent with his storytelling/writing, logic doesn't exist in one piece. The only way someone can enjoy one piece is by putting your brain in to the box and throwing it into the river, don't think or use your brain otherwise one piece will lose everything that you like in it.
I get you're a haki expert.
Good post!