Worstgen

Cinera
Cinera
Do you mean the Higabana Project? I'll pick it up this weekend. You can drop a reminder as well.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Oh yeah that and my MiHan fic. Wanted to know what you think about the ending.
Cinera
Cinera
Sure.
Cinera
Cinera
> Also she blew her own cover the moment she sliced Urashima’s topknot but continued to act like an idiot after that.

That's just Oda's bog standard sexism
Cinera
Cinera
One Piece women will never not be useless, so I don't hold it against them if a female character is no more competent than one would expect given their gender.
Cinera
Cinera
Mama is really surprising TBH.
Cinera
Cinera
Oda went out of the way to make her physically monstrous, yet he's still unable to treat her with dignity and respect as a fighter.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Ugh the standard being that low feels kind of insulting. I feel like we should demand a lot more from Oda as a writer. “Marginally not useless” is just not acceptable for female characters in 2020 and that’s why OP for me will always be a mediocre or below average series from a storytelling and characters perspective.
Cinera
Cinera
She's been clowned to an extent unimaginable for any other top tier in the series.
Cinera
Cinera
> Ugh the standard being that low feels kind of insulting.

I've basically given up on getting well written female characters in One Piece.
Cinera
Cinera
Oda seems to have ingrained a very anachronistic and chauvinistic sexism.
Cinera
Cinera
For whatever reason, he's just incapable of depicting female characters as competent fighters.
Cinera
Cinera
It's terrible, but I don't think it's something that there's any hope for changing this late in the story.
Cinera
Cinera
Strong women in One Piece:
* Mama: a physical monster and treated as an absolute joke by everyone
* Smoothie: utterly useless
Cinera
Cinera
* Hancock: her powers literally involve enslaving people with her charm. She's yet to be given a proper fight
Cinera
Cinera
Yamato: the jury is still out for now. I'm waiting to see what Oda does with her.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Yamato is the worst of them all. A woman whose entire defining character trait is her obsession with a man. The absolute freaking worst. I would place Mama as a feminist icon before I even considered the waste of ink and paper that is Yamato.
Cinera
Cinera
Yamato is the embodiment of Oda's own inner Oden fanboy.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Yamato falls into the StRoNK FeMaLe ChArAcTeR trope in that she’s seemingly strong but defeats no one of note, has no original character and her motivations, desires and backstory revolve entirely around men.
Cinera
Cinera
Oda wanted to wank Oden so much that he made a character defined by their obsession for him.