Worstgen

dizzy2341
dizzy2341
Yeah, it will have enough content to release 3 more volumes this year. The next volume is getting released in May. Maybe the others then release in July and September. But it's crazy. Its sales so far in 2.5 months is already millions more than OP total sales in 2019 and 2018 COMBINED...
dirtyLarry
dirtyLarry
@dizzy2341 : Well, of course it is. Everyone is catching up to the series and re-buys the old volumes. Same happened to OP in 2010/11, during marineford war. OP had 38 million copies sold in 2011, because guys re-bought older volumes in addition to new ones.
KnY sales will go back to normal numbers in half a year/year.
dizzy2341
dizzy2341
@dirtyLarry Lol, you say "of course it is" as if this is a common occurrence. xD And no, sales won't go back to normal lol. The series is ending very soon anyways, but sales will continue to be much higher than they originally were, (albeit, not at the record breaking heights they are now)
dirtyLarry
dirtyLarry
Well, naturally they are going to be higher than they originally were. Not nearly as high as they are right now though.
The numbers aren't ordinary at all, that's for sure. It's also in no way meant to downplay KnY, just to put things into perspective.
dizzy2341
dizzy2341
You’re misunderstanding. KnY is getting a huge boost from backlog sales, but ALSO from individual volumes. New Yaiba individual volumes are selling better than new One Piece individual volumes. If Yaiba wasn’t ending and was to continue on then it would be rivalling One Piece’s sales each year.
playa4321
playa4321
With the note that neither Boku no Hero/AoT or other mangas even could the same as KnY. KnY did something which only one manga before do, One piece. One piece was the top for years, unmatched yet KnY really became the real threat and rival for OP and I doubt that the sales gonna end because KnY get also a new movie(canon story) which will boost the sales again.
playa4321
playa4321
KnY did something which many mangas fail to do, it come close to the top sales of One piece and that didn´t happen easily, it shows how KnY had a insane hype around the anime.
dirtyLarry
dirtyLarry
@dizzy: It certainly did amazing those last two months. However, in 2019 the top 4 single best selling volumes still all belonged to OP.
Again, not meant to start a dick-measuring contest here. We just have wait and see how the KnY sales develop. Like I said, the last two months were great, but it's not enough sample size to predict years into the future.
dizzy2341
dizzy2341
One Piece at its very best sold 38 mil throughout a whole year. KnY has sold 21 mil in 2.5 months. Not to mention, OP had 60 volumes all on sale simultaneously. KnY only had 18 (19 as of this week). It’s selling at a far greater RATE than One Piece ever did.
dizzy2341
dizzy2341
@dirtyLarry Sales are already out for recent sales. OP’s latest volume (which had the Yonko bounty reveals etc.) sold is selling the worst out of any OP volume in a whole decade. KnY vol 18 has beaten it, and vol 19 will very likely beat it too. Numbers will be out tonight but it’s expected to be higher than OP, just like the last volume.
dirtyLarry
dirtyLarry
And that's great for KnY.
My point is still correct though: The top 4 best selling volumes of 2019 belonged to OP.
I can only emphasize my second point again: Two months is a very short time period. It has done incredible in those two months, but wait and recap the numbers at the end of the year.
dizzy2341
dizzy2341
Yeah because KnY was greatly underprinted. It was out of stock at countless stores. Thousands of people were wanting to buy it but couldn’t because it was sold out literally across all of Japan. So your point stands (since it isn’t wrong) but means nothing. When KnY got a higher print it sold, and is selling better than OP, and that’s what matters.
dirtyLarry
dirtyLarry
Nothing to do with being underprinted. It's because the hype only started after so many fans watched through the anime (deservedly so, since the anime is great).
Since the manga wasn't popular at all until late 2019, the backlog is gigantic of course. Many new fans literally bought all volumes over the last three months.
dizzy2341
dizzy2341
It’s true that the boom came after the anime, but you’re simply wrong if you think the underprinting had nothing to do with KnY’s volume sales in 2019. My previous comment was in reference to how OP won after the anime boom.
dirtyLarry
dirtyLarry
Well, I won't convince you otherwise and you won't convince me otherwise. Therefore I think it's best to end the discussion here. Was a nice talk though, appreciate it!
dizzy2341
dizzy2341
I mean, I’m not even trying to force my opinion, it is something that should be straightforward. If something is sold out but is still in very high demand, then anyone can see that the fact that it was sold out will restrict the sales.
dirtyLarry
dirtyLarry
You're always welcome to provide me with some solid source, where it says that they had printed way too few KnY volumes. Honestly interested.
dizzy2341
dizzy2341
This is what happened with the next volume, 18: https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1201818911643250688

They gave Kimetsu a 1 million print and it almost entirely sold out in the very first week across ALL of Japan. In contrast, they gave One Piece a 3 million print and it only sold 800k in its first week. Heavily overprinted, in contrast to KnY which is greatly under printed and cannot fit demand.
dirtyLarry
dirtyLarry
First of all: Thanks for the source!
I think it partly underlines both our points. You were correct, that at one point the manga volumes did indeed run out and they had to reprint it. On the other hand, it was only during October when this happened, not earlier in the year. Is it possible that KnY volumes would have been higher than the 4 OP volumes in 2019? Possible, but far from a safe bet.