Worstgen

Bounty
Bounty
@AL sama very little unfortunately😅. The only exposure I've had was with a few Rabindra geet like ekla chalo and a few others.

@solis don't worry, you'll find a lot more of them now 😇
AL sama
AL sama
B
Ballel
@Bounty I am amazed by the variety of rhythmic patterns in Indian music. That's simply something Europe traditionally doesn't have at all.
Bounty
Bounty
@AL sama Aah interestingly it's from Manna Dey's nephew. It's a great song, just heard it!

Can easily get the full picture this song is trying to paint and the nostalgia it would bring.

I will make it a point to learn Bengali some day since there are a lot of treasures from Manna and Hemant da unheard or not fully appreciated by me yet
Bounty
Bounty
Yeah it's unlike anything, it's a mix of a lot of influences sufi, Indian classical, carnatic music, western etc...
B
Ballel
Bounty
Bounty
@solis This is South Indian music, a whole other realm on its own. Again, the list of legends coming from here would never end.
AL sama
AL sama
@Bounty its one of my favorite old bangla song

its basically about how generations after generations of friends passes by but the coffee house/shop remains

its sad but very wholesome at the same time

glad to know that you wanna learn bangla
Bounty
Bounty
B
Ballel
To me South Indian music, even moreso than Hindi music, sounds the most different to anything you'd ever find in or close to Europe.
Oh I am so glad all these musical traditions are still alive.

To think what was already lost across the world. Musical, literary, oral traditions no one will even be able to hear again.

And to think that, earlier or later, this will happen to all of us.
AL sama
AL sama
AR Rahman is a living legend
Bounty
Bounty
@solis yes, that's because a lot of South Indian pronunciation is very fluid and smooth which can make for some amazing melodies, the language flows in a very different way than other languages here.

In hindi/urdu (and perhaps the other languages) a lot of it comes down to expressive skill and how one emotes it. Which in of itself is a thing of beauty to the one who understands it.
B
Ballel
Humans are such horrific creatures yet at the same time, we are capable of creating such beauty that touches your soul and makes you feel things that you cannot understand.
Bounty
Bounty
@solis A lot of what you said embodies the sentiment I conveyed above in the beginning of this thread (in the context of rafi, what the music from then means to us etc..).

I can only speak for the people of the subcontinent here, but with time this sentiment and passion is slowly but surely fading away.

There will perhaps only be a handful (from my and Al's) generation who'll impart these things to the futur gen
AL sama
AL sama
most kids nowadays thinks these songs are too cringe and outdated
B
Ballel
@AL sama kids do a lot to appear cool and to fit in with their peers, they will fake opinions/interests so they don't stand out.
Bounty
Bounty
@solis well those "horrific creatures" probably almost are never going to be involved with good music/musicians to begin with

The ones truly dedicated to the craft of churning out soulful music(important) and not your textbook drudgery are almost always pure souls (from what I've seen)
Bounty
Bounty
The biggest plus of the unprecedented diversification here on this subcontinent is all of this music you listen to and the cuisine, both of which I'm proud of having the most out of everything.
B
Ballel
@Bounty not wanting to burst your bubble, but people can pretend to be "pure/good" .
I don't believe there are any truly "good" human beings.
Bounty
Bounty
I mean obviously no one can be that virtuous, I'm obviously coming from a relative standpoint of what it means to separate out those "horrific" ones in today's day and age, where the horrific part of it truly lives up to its name.