Rules Avatars rules

Bogard

You can't win
Hello everyone,

This time decided to talk about a recurrent topic concerning the avatars

In an earlier thread, i talked about how uploading avatars with a 400 x 400 ratio: https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/forum/index.php?threads/avatars-setup.19/

And after testing out some ratio concepts, which didn't ended up to my liking(about avatar size or quality), decided to do something different. And in order to make things clears for the users, decided to talk about the avatars rules, which are

1- The avatars you upload must be of similar ratio(150x150, 192x192, 288x288, 300x300, 400x400...)
2- As mentioned before the recommended avatar ratio is 400x400. That's for quality issues

3- As already mentioned before as well, you can shift the avatar depending on your liking, by moving the place i indicated with the green arrow(visible on the green arrow from above picture), while using your mouse to move and shift it the way you like it to be centered

Now i'd explain how croping works if you don't respect the above rules.

- If you try uploading an avatar of a different size ratio in width and height(200x192, 192x300...), it'd crop the height or width depending on the lowest number between the two. So the bigger the scaling difference, the greater the ratio difference will be visible.

So when uploading avatars, always have the ratio concept in mind.

--------UPDATE--------
Avatars are now scaled to 200 x 288 in message posts. If you upload an avatar, it'd be scaled accordingly
--------UPDATE--------

That was all for me. Enjoy your stay here :cheers:

Yes, this all sounds similar, but can you explain again for the technologically retarded among us? I’m pretty sure my avatar was scaled to 400 * 400 and still seems stretched along the height.

Solution:

1. Crop the picture as you want
  2. Resize to 192 [W Must be 192 (Keep Aspect Ratio)] x XXX (H)
  3. Crop to 192 (W) x 300 (H)
  4. Resize to 192 (W) x 192 (H)
  5. Done!

What about you give it a fixed width while the height stays variable up to 300? If someone uploads a picture 400x400, it gets shrinked down accordingly when displayed in threads. When you, however, post a picture that has 2 times the height compared to its width, it gets scaled down accordingly at the thread-window to be displayed as 150x300. Only if the width of 300 (or 200, whatever you wish) gets exceeded, the avatar in the thread-window shrinks down to 300, shrinking the width down in the process. e.g. you upload a pic 150x400, it shrinks down to 50x300 without the squeezing part.

On OJ, when you uploaded a pic, it was cropped down to have equal width and height in the preview and mobile, but still being fully displayed without squeezing and cropping on desktop.

:feelscryingman:

Bogard

You can't win
What about you give it a fixed width while the height stays variable up to 300? If someone uploads a picture 400x400, it gets shrinked down accordingly when displayed in threads. When you, however, post a picture that has 2 times the height compared to its width, it gets scaled down accordingly at the thread-window to be displayed as 150x300. Only if the width of 300 (or 200, whatever you wish) gets exceeded, the avatar in the thread-window shrinks down to 300, shrinking the width down in the process. e.g. you upload a pic 150x400, it shrinks down to 50x300 without the squeezing part.

On OJ, when you uploaded a pic, it was cropped down to have equal width and height in the preview and mobile, but still being fully displayed without squeezing and cropping on desktop.

:feelscryingman:
It's a pixel ratio matter. Doing so could work, but it could reduce the pic quality. Wanted to avoid that

All good.

I'm honestly really impressed with this forum's avatar system. I really love it how you can move the picture around to fit the box and perimeters to your liking.

Back when I was on Orojackson, you had to upload the right file size and you couldn't move and re-adjust the image once its uploaded, so when I first did it I had to try a couple of times to get it right (also why I never bothered to change my avatar ever since joining lol).

But I think Worstgen goes it better.

:cheers:

@Bogard - dear eventual future great admin
it's been a few months now, but the avatars are still broken

so i did eventually check the funny code lines and ...
lol dude, (you did set ?) the .avatar funny height at 288px;

change this immediatly 8U !!!!

i have no idea how you can fix this as i did never try xenforo by myself
to replace "height" by "max-height" could do it, but maybe there are other things to fix too.

Last edited:

to replace "height" by "max-height" could do it, but maybe there are other things to fix too.

:luffylaugh:

I've been waiting for centuries:crybeard:, hopefully it's fixed with the new theme release. :optimistic:

Probably not gonna happen though. :josad:

Bogard

You can't win

Actually it's not how it works in xenforo. It's linked with a class that you need to upgrade. With that said, i had already made the changes actually, but i forgot to do it to every theme, i made an alternate theme to test it out. Now it's corrected though
:luffylaugh:

I've been waiting for centuries:crybeard:, hopefully it's fixed with the new theme release. :optimistic:

Probably not gonna happen though. :josad:
It's fixed and with the new themes, it'd look even better :super: