Best Deuteragonist Tournament Round 1 Bracket 2

WHO WINS EACH FIGHT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž
IMPORTANT: I WILL NOT COUNT VOTES FROM THOSE WHO DO NOT VOTE FOR EACH FIGHT. ALSO IF I SEE OR NOTICE SOME SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY THAT ENTRY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.

In this round in this thread we will have 6 deuteragonists, which means 3 fights.

Vote in the poll, share your thoughts and state who you voted for.
YOU MAY VOTE FOR YOURSELF IF YOU ARE IN THIS ROUND.
Vote for each round, the winners of each fight will advance.

FIRST FIGHT

Griffith from Berserk
Griffith is one of the greatest manga characters ever created and is the deuteragonist/villain of Kentaro Miuraโ€™s masterpiece Berserk. He is the leader of the reborn Band of Falcon and was the leader of the original Band of Falcon. His story, character, the narrative it takes is a direct contrast to the protagonist of the series - Guts.​
As the leader of the original Band of the Falcon, he and his mercenaries are able to end the Hundred-Year War and bring peace to the war-torn kingdom of Midland. Following the desertion of his most trusted confidant Guts, Griffith beds Princess Charlotte on impulse, bringing about his imprisonment, year-long crippling torture, and the seeming demise of his dream. Though he is eventually rescued by the band, his state of extreme invalidity and undying desire to obtain his own kingdom compels him to sacrifice his comrades during the Fifth Eclipse, for kinsmanship with the God Hand as their fifth member Femto โ€“ a demonic, idealized version of himself stripped of his human inhibitions. In time, he is incarnated into the Physical World, concerned solely with the realization of his dream, which comes to pass with his thwarting of the Kushan invasion of Midland, the Great Roar of the Astral World he prompts, and the rise of his utopian capital city, Falconia​
When we meet Griffith in the Golden Age Arc, he's introduced as a charismatic white knight, so unique in the world that he appears like a "saint" sent to save his followers, the "blazing inferno" for lost souls to gather around in an otherwise hostile world. He's a childish dreamer in a world where impractical things like dreams are in short supply, but because he can deliver on his convictions, he becomes the "miracle" people project their hopes upon, starting with his band of mercenaries and eventually growing to be a symbol for the entire kingdom of Midland. Long before the post-Eclipse prophecies of the Hawk of Light are spread, Kentaro Miura paints Griffith as someone who transcends the bounds of his world. Characters often comment on his almost otherworldly allure, which they can only admire but never quite comprehend.​
Aside from his heritage as a poor commoner who refused to quietly waste away in a meaningless existence as a back-alley rat, we learn very little about Griffith's childhood. While admired and idolized by his Band of the Hawk, Griffith is shrewd and ruthless in his ambition, manipulating or disposing of the people who oppose his rise to power without hesitation. He's arrogant and brutally realistic about human nature, but most importantly, he's the kind of person that Guts aspires to stand on equal ground with.​

VS

Goro Akechi from persona 5
Goro Akechi:

Best deuteragonist specifically because of his connection to the protagonist.

Born the bastard son of Masayoshi Shino his life and the protagonists lives were ruined by the same man. However, both chose alternate paths that brought the best out through both of their characters. Akechi turned into a criminal and detective whoโ€™d solve his own crimes, yet despite his insanity he had a strong sense of personal justice and will where his best scene was in the true ending of persona 5 royal when given the opportunity to die by his own hands the true reality or live a life someone created for him he decided heโ€™d rather die than live a life of someone elseโ€™s design

SECOND FIGHT

Ei Sei from Kingdom
Ei Sei is the 31st King of Qin, and a man who dreams of Unifying China. The story of Kingdom takes place during the bloody Warring States period of China, and Qin is one of the remaining seven states left.

Sei is also completely aware of what he will have to do in order to successfully unify China, he knows how much blood he will have to shed. The fact that he recognizes this makes him such a breath of fresh air for me, he doesn't care if he has to go down as a Tyrant, he wants to end the Warring States period and establish a new, better world. Sei is intelligent enough to realize that the citizens of enemy states will one day be Qin citizens, and as such he ensures Qin generals treat captive enemy citizens well.

One of my favorite parts of Sei's character is his relationship with the MC of Kingdom, Shin. Shin's goal of becoming a "Great General under the Heavens" and Sei's goal of Unifying China are indirectly intertwined. The long talks they have at the end of every major arc are always relaxing. I'm interested in seeing Shin finally become "Sei's Sword".

Sei had to fight tooth and nail to get where he is now. As a matter of fact, he wasn't even born in Qin. He was born in the enemy of State of Zhao, which had recently lost 400,000 soldiers in a war against Qin. There, he was all alone. He was hated and violently harassed by the citizens of Zhao because of his royal Qin blood. Even his mother was his enemy. However, one day, he was smuggled out of Zhao by merchants, who risked and sacrificed their lives for him, a complete stranger. Sei was deeply touched by this display of kindness, and it's ultimately what inspires him to this very day. However, once Sei made his way to Qin, there was another giant obstacle looming over him, Ryofui, the Chancellor of Qin.

The conflict between Ryofui and Sei is one of the best parts of Kingdom. At the beginning Sei, despite being the King of Qin, had no power compared to Ryofui. However, over the course of the story, Sei's faction slowly rises in power. The finale of Ryofui and Sei's rivalry is an epic, climatic debate where Sei wins in an ideological debate.

Without Sei's overarching presence in political-centered arcs, Kingdom wouldn't be as good as it is. Take away Sei from the Kingdom, and you'd lose countless amazing moments. It speaks volumes that Sei manages to be an interesting character who develops and improves over the course of the story while also being the King of a nation.

VS

Aki Hayakawa from CSM
Aki is my 2nd most favourite character in Chainsawman. Aki's intro was cool which piqued my intrest for him. He was working under Public Safety Devil Hunter. had contracts with Curse Devil and Future Devil. He had a contract even with the all might Fox Devil. His current job of hunting devil was under the special care of Makima. When he met Denji for the very first time, it turned out that they didnโ€™t get along well.
Aki is a very well-mannered and composed person. His expressions are stoic and he acts mature during rough times. Everyone depends a lot on Aki since heโ€™s very dependable and is always up to help everyone. Even though heโ€™s composed but he canโ€™t see his nakamas getting hurt.

He was also revealed to be a type of a person who lived for revenge. And he wanted revenge from Gun Devil who killed his family. During Akiโ€™s childhood, his house was completely demolished by the Gun Devil, which killed his brother and both his parents, Aki however was lucky enough to be a fair distance away from the house and survived. Seeing his family be killed right in front of him, he developed a deep hatred for the Gun Devil and Devil in general, and decided to join the Public Safety Devil Hunters in search of revenge against the Gun Devil.
But failure. Almost everything Aki tried to accomplish failed. His entire life was in vein, the lifespan he shaved away, the people he sacrificed for, the revenge he sought, not a single thing he did ended with him receiving more than what he had to give up in return. His entire character is tragic.

Unlike many of his nakamas, heโ€™s described by Himeno as a โ€œnormal personโ€. Aki helps those who are in need and if one of his nakamas gets hurt, he makes sure to take revenge for them. His air of cold detachment is actually a facade, and he has been seen to cry over the deaths of his comrades such as Himeno, and he grew to care for Denji and Power enough to try and forfeit his revenge goal in order to keep them safe.
Aki isnโ€™t as stubborn as he seems to be, if he was he wouldnโ€™t have ever been able to deal with Denji and Power. Deep down he just wanted to have that feeling of having a family again. Aki went from being the โ€œpublic safety devil hunter that hates devils the mostโ€ to a big brother, close friend and confidant to a hybrid, fiend, and devilman
Thanks for reading. Took many refrences from sites cuz I read CSM ages ago and didnt remember much but everyone who has read CSM knows how great he is :pepemwai:

THIRD FIGHT

Accelerator from A Certain Magical Index.
Synopsis -

Accelerator was introduced during the third arc of the series, which is commonly considered the point where the series starts to get "good". Accelerator was presented as an unstoppable force - he couldn't be damaged, and he could obliterate anyone in one hit. He met his match in the protagonist of Index, who happens to be able to cancel abilities like Accelerator's, and it was Accel's hubris combined with his confusion that ultimately led to his defeat. You see this kind of thing many times - an early villain is really cool so shows up again but helps the good guys out reluctantly. But Accelerator doesn't follow this trend. He appears to, even gets his own mini arc while still being something of a villain, but at the end of that arc, he's shot in the head. It's not fatal, but he loses some of his brain processing abilities, which is how his ability works. This sets him up with a permanant nerf, which I always felt was a really interesting way of handling a character that is otherwise absurdly overpowered.

To go back to Accelerator's history, within the series he is dubbed the strongest Esper. Espers are young people who reside in the main setting, Academy City. Each esper is given a power ranking, from level 0 (weakest) to level 5 (strongest). Accel is not just a level 5, he's the top ranked level 5. In his introductory arc, we find out Accelerator is trying to obtain level 6, which should be impossible to reach. The plan for this is by slaughtering clones of the third ranked level 5, who individually are much weaker but share battle data through a mental network of sorts, meaning once Accelerator has killed the last ones off he should be fighting clones that are much more adept at fighting him than the 3rd ranked ever would be. And he kills many clones in this pursuit, over 10,000, before he is eventually stopped. When his mini arc occurs though, he ends up saving the clones that are left, because inspired by the protagonist he decides to use his powers to save rather than kill.

It's this philosophy that drives Accelerator throughout the series, and in trying to reach this he grows into a deuteragonist role. When the protagonist is away doing this and that, Accelerator is in Academy City, and because he's more willing to involve himself into the dirty side of things, we see a lot of the seedy underbelly that rules Academy City through Accel than we do from other perspectives. Accelerator is constantly fighting a battle with himself - he wants to be a hero, but doesn't believe he has the right to be one, and as he struggles to forgive himself for his sins even while those who he sinned against forgive him, he grows as a character, working his way through the rough patches to become someone he himself can consider heroic. His arc is still ongoing, so he hasn't reached that point yet, but with each appearance he's furthering this goal, which is what makes him so compelling. He's very much flawed, too flawed to be a protagonist, yet is often thrust in that role anyway, and him coming to terms with that is every bit the antagonist as whatever villain of the week is causing trouble in the first place.

As for scenes, there are many cool parts I could pick. But I think the one that most defines him for me is when he realises how far he's come, how far he has yet to go, and accepts that he's on the part to becoming what he wants to be, rather than constantly bringing himself into the darkness that he wants to escape because that's what's familiar to him.

VS

Samwise Gamgee from LOTR
"Bravery is not the absence of fear. Bravery is feeling the fear, the doubt, the insecurity and deciding that something else is more important".

Samwise Gamgee also known as Samwise "The Brave" is one of the 2 deuteragonists of the Lord of the rings film series (the other being Aragorn). He is Frodo Baggins' gardener/best friend who by chance and the will of a wizard ends up joining Frodo on his quest to destroy the one ring of power.

Throughout the 3 films Sam shows tremendous loyalty towards his friend Frodo and bravery in the face of impossible odds. What makes Sam special to me is his bravery and how he overcomes his self doubt and the fact that he is the voice of reason for Frodo on their quest. As Frodo once quoted "Frodo would not have gotten very far without Sam".

MY FAVE SCENES

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
I voted Ei Sei but Aรฏki seems cool
Aki is great. The entire main cast of CSM is amazingly written. I recommend checking it out Rayan. Part 1 is over and it has only 97 chapters. The anime should be coming out soon as well. CSM is the next big thing.

TheKnightOfTheSea

๐•ท๐–”๐–—๐–‰ ๐–”๐–‹ ๐•ธ๐–”๐–”๐–“'๐–˜ ๐•พ๐–•๐–†๐–œ๐–“
โ€Ž
Aki is great. The entire main cast of CSM is amazingly written. I recommend checking it out Rayan. Part 1 is over and it has only 97 chapters. The anime should be coming out soon as well. CSM is the next big thing.
I read the first 5-10 chapters and was underwhelmed, what chapter does it start getting good?

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
I read the first 5-10 chapters and was underwhelmed, what chapter does it start getting good?
The story picks up around chapter 20 iirc, and the next few arcs are simply amazing. I really recommend continuing it.

Lhulu

Tobidara Believer
โ€Ž
I agree man but, the discussion between Ei Sei and Ryo Fui it's one of the best moments in manga's history, seriously.

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
@Rivaille my man you gotta vote for each 'fight', otherwise I can't count your vote.
Post automatically merged:

I agree man but, the discussion between Ei Sei and Ryo Fui it's one of the best moments in manga's history, seriously.
I haven't read Kingdom, I could see from the synopsis that it's pretty interesting, and have heard many good things about it, and the character seems very interesting from the synopsis.

Who was the one that took Ei Sei before i signed up? :beckmoji:
You will not be forgiven
Griffith obviously
Ei Sei
i don't know the persona 5 character but Fuck Sam and the synopsis for Accelator was good so him

TheKnightOfTheSea

๐•ท๐–”๐–—๐–‰ ๐–”๐–‹ ๐•ธ๐–”๐–”๐–“'๐–˜ ๐•พ๐–•๐–†๐–œ๐–“
โ€Ž
I haven't read Kingdom, I could see from the synopsis that it's pretty interesting, and have heard many good things about it, and the character seems very interesting from the synopsis.
It's one of the best manga out there, 10/10 for sure. The battles, character development and dialogue are all top-notch. Ei Sei is indeed a great character.

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
I thought it was the 1st round :kayneshrug:
Yeah yeah it is, I meant you need to vote for at least one option from each fight in the poll.

So 1 between Griffith and Goro.
1 between Ei and Aki.
And 1 between Accelerator and Sam.

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
Last edited: