Powers & Abilities Breath of all things = symbiosis of adv. CoA + adv. CoO

In the early series, it was explained that a true swordsmaster is able to cut everything he desires, while at the same time cutting nothing. Later in Udon it was elaborated, that this ability is contributed to the advanced form of CoA. Hyogoro said that by letting the Haki flow through the blade like this, the swordsman becomes one with the blade and cuts whatever he desires, while not cutting what he does not desire.

In Zoro's case however, it went a step further. He was able to sense the aura/breath of everything around him, living and non living. Which is a level of CoO we haven't witnessed yet bar FS. Zoro said that he did not dodge the falling rocks. Rather, he knew at which place the rocks would not fall (hinting a kind of FS already), being able to sense his sword beneath the rocks and hearing the breath of Daz' steel body.

That leads me to assume, that breath of all things is the mastery of both CoA and CoO, reaching an advanced level of both abilities.

What a chad Zoro is, that he awakened those abilities at the beginning of the Grandline.

@ShishioIsBack @Admiral Lee Hung @HA001 @nik87 @Light D Lamperouge @Finalbeta @Sentinel @playa4321 @Cinera etc.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
I don't care much about CoO if I'm honest, my prominent desire is to see Zoro reaching up to the hightest possible CoA grade and render Wado black.

However CoO is very important too, Mihawk's CoO is no joke either. He isn't called Hawkeye just for aestethics purposes. :cheers:

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
The coa part pretty much lined up with what hyou said word for word so that's a given.

But on the coo front its the part where he dodges the rocks and says he didnt dodge he just knew where they wouldnt fall which is the most interesting.

But on the coo front its the part where he dodges the rocks and says he didnt dodge he just knew where they wouldnt fall which is the most interesting.
Plus sensing his sword beneath a rock, meaning feeling the presence of non living things. That's how he sensed the alcohol probably.. Also remember how, when Zoro's Shusui was about to be stolen, Zoro sensed it as well:

And ppl say Sanji's CoO is better..

We can make up all kind of ad hoc explanations we want to solve this issue. For me, breath of things wasn't conceived as haki and there's no good way to reconcile both powers in a convincing way now that Oda has retconed it. The only more or less acceptable haki-based explanation I'd buy is that breath of things is a different application of haki that focuses on connecting your will with the sword and the objects you want to slash, but it is still a fragile approach. So I'd rather draw a veil over this issue.

HA001

We can make up all kind of ad hoc explanations we want to solve this issue. For me, breath of things wasn't conceived as haki and there's no good way to reconcile both powers in a convincing way now that Oda has retconed it. The only more or less acceptable haki-based explanation I'd buy is that breath of things is a different application of haki that focuses on connecting your will with the sword and the objects you want to slash, but it is still a fragile approach. So I'd rather draw a veil over this issue.
How can it be a different application when koshiro and hyou said near enough word for word the same thing ? Theres nothing to draw a veil over what zoro did with the leaves then mr 1 is exactly what hyou explained the luffy, the only unanswered part is the rocks part and seeing where they wouldnt fall.

How can it be a different application when koshiro and hyou said near enough word for word the same thing ? Theres nothing to draw a veil over what zoro did with the leaves then mr 1 is exactly what hyou explained the luffy, the only unanswered part is the rocks part and seeing where they wouldnt fall.
I know what Hyou explained. What I'm doubting is that Oda intended it to be such thing in Arabasta and the extent to which both powers can be reconciled without drawing a veil over some details. Hence my "well, let's better think that it is a different application for non-swordsmen of that power or something like that" approach.

In other words: I think Oda retconned the breath of things cheaply and I don't buy it.

HA001

I know what Hyou explained. What I'm doubting is that Oda intended it to be such thing in Arabasta and the extent to which both powers can be reconciled without drawing a veil over some details. Hence my "well, let's better think that it is a different application for non-swordsmen of that power or something like that" approach.

In other words: I think Oda retconnedthe breath of things cheaply and I don't buy it.
Its undeniable he meant it to be the same thing, hyou is a samurai from wano, koshiro has wano heritage and has clearly been taught the same thing, oda has purposely chose to use near enough the same wording for a reason. We know haki blooms in extreme situations and that was extreme as you can get.

Its undeniable he meant it to be the same thing, hyou is a samurai from wano, koshiro has wano heritage and has clearly been taught the same thing, oda has purposely chose to use near enough the same wording for a reason. We know haki blooms in extreme situations and that was extreme as you can get.
I know. But again, that's not the point.

I'm not discussing the similarities between what Koushiro and Hyogoro explained, which obviously exist, but the extent to which both powers actually conciliate in practice and considering that Oda may have been retconned the breath of things into haki, hence why we need this kind of ad hoc explanation filling the holes left by him (in my opinion, unproperly because things still don't add up at all)?

You are repeating something I already know. I can read too, I see how both speechs are almost the same. What I'm discussing here is beyond that. It isn't about how he meant it to be the same thing but to what extent it actually holds up as the same thing. And I don't think it does because I don't think Oda conceived breath of things as such twenty years ago.

HA001

I know. But again, that's not the point.

I'm not discussing the similarities between what Koushiro and Hyogoro explained, which obviously exist, but the extent to which both powers actually conciliate in practice and considering that Oda may have been retconned the breath of things into haki, hence why we need this kind of ad hoc explanation filling the holes left by him (in my opinion, unproperly because things still don't add up at all)?

You are repeating something I already know. I can read too, I see how both speechs are almost the same. What I'm discussing here is beyond that. It isn't about how he meant it to be the same thing but to what extent it actually holds up as the same thing. And I don't think it does because I don't think Oda conceived breath of things as such twenty years ago.
It doesnt matter what he concieved 20 years ago when haki wasnt mapped out properly he took a fully conscious decision to explain royu in the same way so yes regardless if you dont like it, it very much holds up as the same thing.
Its like saying shanks didnt use coc on the sea king when it was the 1st chapter, cause he didnt expand on it to ko the sea king.

Hahaha I believe you're my spirit animal, as this is something I constantly catch myself saying here. :cheers:

It doesnt matter what he concieved 20 years ago when haki wasnt mapped out properly he took a fully conscious decision to explain royu in the same way so yes regardless if you dont like it, it very much holds up as the same thing.
Its like saying shanks didnt use coc on the sea king when it was the 1st chapter, cause he didnt expand on it to ko the sea king.
It doesn't hold up because in no way it addresses how Zoro sensed the breath of the things around him, which no CoA advanced user has hinted at feeling at all (hence why the OP needs to make up ad hoc explanations with CoO usages we've never seen nor suggested at all in both basic form and future sight); it puts us in the situation of buying that Zoro awakened an advanced form of armament haki without knowing the basics yet Mihawk was training him to blacken his swords, a basic (let alone how he never displayed such ability against the logia users he faced after Arabasta); it forces us to reconcile that a power like armament, which was never depicted as a matter of quality, of choosing what to damage and what not, actually does such thing (I mean, the blast that Hyogoro, Rayleigh, Sentomaru... performed is simply depicted as that, a blast of haki, far away from what Zoro performed; I don't see where Luffy was thinking on connecting his will with his punch in order to break Kaido's scales with an attack that wouldn't break a piece of paper —not like he needs that anymore because he simply learned how to hurt from the inside, again without any "I choose what I want to hurt" hint).

The idea of flowing your haki to your sword isn't properly explained: connecting your will with your sword for it to cut what you want it to cut is nowhere like covering it with an invisible repelling armor. Even the reasoning of a hardened limb that becomes more powerful through evolving into an invisible armor around said limb, and which becomes even more powerful by directly attacking from the inside just sounds completely different from how the breath of things was depicted as an ability that didn't rely on more strength but proper cuts. Armament haki allows you to hit harder, which is the opposite of the breath of things.

This is why I shared my own approach, because it just feels way more natural that swordsmen have developed a personalized application of haki, which at the end of the day is a manifestation of your spirit and will, based on connecting with the sword and cut what they want to cut (and not cut what they don't want to). It doesn't address the whole "sensing things" as it should, but because it was addressed by the concept of "breath of things" that Oda butchered with what I find to be a retconning (which, in my opinion, is boring as hell and basically destroyed the only truly idiosyncratic thing his swordsmen ever had).

So that's my take on this. I read what Hyogoro said and I don't buy it because the inconsistencies won't add up. Breath of things was never depicted as something that would fit in haki and Oda needs to work it way better if he wants me to believe that it was a form of (advanced!) armament.

HA001

It doesn't hold up because in no way it addresses how Zoro sensed the breath of the things around him, which no CoA advanced user has hinted at feeling at all (hence why the OP needs to make up ad hoc explanations with CoO usages we've never seen nor suggested at all in both basic form and future sight); it puts us in the situation of buying that Zoro awakened an advanced form of armament haki without knowing the basics yet Mihawk was training him to blacken his swords, a basic (let alone how he never displayed such ability against the logia users he faced after Arabasta); it forces us to reconcile that a power like armament, which was never depicted as a matter of quality, of choosing what to damage and what not, actually does such thing (I mean, the blast that Hyogoro, Rayleigh, Sentomaru... performed is simply depicted as that, a blast of haki, far away from what Zoro performed; I don't see where Luffy was thinking on connecting his will with his punch in order to break Kaido's scales with an attack that wouldn't break a piece of paper —not like he needs that anymore because he simply learned how to hurt from the inside, again without any "I choose what I want to hurt" hint).

The idea of flowing your haki to your sword isn't properly explained: connecting your will with your sword for it to cut what you want it to cut is nowhere like covering it with an invisible repelling armor. Even the reasoning of a hardened limb that becomes more powerful through evolving into an invisible armor around said limb, and which becomes even more powerful by directly attacking from the inside just sounds completely different from how the breath of things was depicted as an ability that didn't rely on more strength but proper cuts. Armament haki allows you to hit harder, which is the opposite of the breath of things.

This is why I shared my own approach, because it just feels way more natural that swordsmen have developed a personalized application of haki, which at the end of the day is a manifestation of your spirit and will, based on connecting with the sword and cut what they want to cut (and not cut what they don't want to). It doesn't address the whole "sensing things" as it should, but because it was addressed by the concept of "breath of things" that Oda butchered with what I find to be a retconning (which, in my opinion, is boring as hell and basically destroyed the only truly idiosyncratic thing his swordsmen ever had).

So that's my take on this. I read what Hyogoro said and I don't buy it because the inconsistencies won't add up. Breath of things was never depicted as something that would fit in haki and Oda needs to work it way better if he wants me to believe that it was a form of (advanced!) armament.
Its a different application.
Boa sisters could do something luffy has only now learned in wano. Yet he beat them pre skip. Just because he used something "advanced" in an extreme situation doesnt mean it doesnt fit.
It fits perfectly. Hardening to cut and a barrier on the sword to not cut. Down to the control and will of the swordsman.
The sensing thing also fits. You just have a problem with it cause you dont want it to be what it fits into.
But its the same with luffy vs mihawk. He was calm in an extreme situation and clealry saw the future and stopped his attack. So its extremely possible unconsciously he used fs before he even had basic coo control.

Its a different application.
Boa sisters could do something luffy has only now learned in wano. Yet he beat them pre skip. Just because he used something "advanced" in an extreme situation doesnt mean it doesnt fit.
It fits perfectly. Hardening to cut and a barrier on the sword to not cut. Down to the control and will of the swordsman.
The sensing thing also fits. You just have a problem with it cause you dont want it to be what it fits into.
But its the same with luffy vs mihawk. He was calm in an extreme situation and clealry saw the future and stopped his attack. So its extremely possible unconsciously he used fs before he even had basic coo control.
But that's not how it worked. It's not that he hardened to cut and put a barrier on not to cut, he connected with the material through its breath, sent his will to his sword and therefore, with the same cut, could slash through a rock without damaging a leaf plant (because his attack was meant for the rock).

The sensing doesn't fit because basic CoO doesn't connect you with inanimate things. And even if Luffy "saw the future", which isn't necessarily true (maybe he felt Mihawk's intent and that was the expected outcome, maybe he just used his brain and didn't take the risk), that's nothing like hearing the breath of objects to the point of connecting your cutting will with them. That's not even future sight (and Zoro actually kept using breath of things techniques, it wasn't just an "extreme situation" thing).

Don't take this wrong, but I think you're making exactly what I pointed at: creating ad hoc explanations. What you wrote doesn't fit what we were explained about breath of things at all. It was a power that allowed you to connect with objects, to send your will to your sword and to cut them with a slash that wouldn't affect what wasn't meant to be cut. Sure, you can come up with Zoro activating barriers in order to not to cut a weak piece of paper (which still doesn't make sense because advanced haki is very destructive when it hits) and deactivating them only to harden his sword and cut. But I'll be honest, that sounds stretchy as hell and a blatant overcomplication made up to explain how Zoro didn't scratch a leaf with the same slash that cut through a rock like butter.

HA001

But that's not how it worked. It's not that he hardened to cut and put a barrier on not to cut, he connected with the material through its breath, sent his will to his sword and therefore, with the same cut, could slash through a rock without damaging a leaf plant (because his attack was meant for the rock).

The sensing doesn't fit because basic CoO doesn't connect you with inanimate things. And even if Luffy "saw the future", which isn't necessarily true (maybe he felt Mihawk's intent and that was the expected outcome, maybe he just used his brain and didn't take the risk), that's nothing like hearing the breath of objects to the point of connecting your cutting will with them. That's not even future sight (and Zoro actually kept using breath of things techniques, it wasn't just an "extreme situation" thing).

Don't take this wrong, but I think you're making exactly what I pointed at: creating ad hoc explanations. What you wrote doesn't fit what we were explained about breath of things at all. It was a power that allowed you to connect with objects, to send your will to your sword and to cut them with a slash that wouldn't affect what wasn't meant to be cut. Sure, you can come up with Zoro activating barriers in order to not to cut a weak piece of paper (which still doesn't make sense because advanced haki is very destructive when it hits) and deactivating them only to harden his sword and cut. But I'll be honest, that sounds stretchy as hell and a blatant overcomplication made up to explain how Zoro didn't scratch a leaf with the same slash that cut through a rock like butter.
? Thats exactly how it worked what are you on about.

Haki is means will power, so when he transfers his will to his sword its pretty obvious whats going on, what else can it be that zoro with a sword has sliced at leaves but its not been cut as opposed to a barrier on his sword. Are you suggesting his sword turned blunt ? it went through the leaves what ?

With luffy its clear what happens,
Hes about to attack clealry sees the future of what happens if he follows through with the attack and sees his arms chopped off and completely changes what he was going to do, he even fully comprehends that he was gonna lose his arms for sure, its not even about sensing. And one thing we got hammered into us with katakuri is the usuage of fs in conjuction with how calm you are. Which mihawk clearly points out.
Now on to the zoro part.
and here is the stephen paul translation of this scene
Excerpt: Zoro: {I dodged... this rock?! ...no. I KNEW... I KNEW the place where it wouldn't fall... My sword... Is under the rock there. I KNOW it...!!!}
During all this whole scene zoro is extremely serene and calm. Now fs you clearly see a picture about whats about to happen
like kata showed many times in wci for example
He has a clear picture of what happens.
(which as luffy showed vs mihawk and sanji in the next scene of this moment is subject to change depending on the actions taken)
Now zoro clearly says he doesnt dodge or sense anything. And as i stated earlier he was extremely calm, He not only knew where the rocks would and wouldnt fall he also knew exactly which rock his sword was under. This clealry points to like above with luffy and kata he had the scene play to him so he knew exactly what was gonna happen.
Its not sketchy at all it actually fits pretty well, do i believe oda had all the ins and outs of haki back then no not at all.
Its not an over complication at all.
At this point in the manga we have the explanations for acoa from hyou and fs from kata, both moments of zoro fit into both sections and follow the same guidelines as explained for each ability.

? Thats exactly how it worked what are you on about.

Haki is means will power, so when he transfers his will to his sword its pretty obvious whats going on, what else can it be that zoro with a sword has sliced at leaves but its not been cut as opposed to a barrier on his sword. Are you suggesting his sword turned blunt ? it went through the leaves what ?

With luffy its clear what happens,
Hes about to attack clealry sees the future of what happens if he follows through with the attack and sees his arms chopped off and completely changes what he was going to do, he even fully comprehends that he was gonna lose his arms for sure, its not even about sensing. And one thing we got hammered into us with katakuri is the usuage of fs in conjuction with how calm you are. Which mihawk clearly points out.
Now on to the zoro part.
and here is the stephen paul translation of this scene
Excerpt: Zoro: {I dodged... this rock?! ...no. I KNEW... I KNEW the place where it wouldn't fall... My sword... Is under the rock there. I KNOW it...!!!}
During all this whole scene zoro is extremely serene and calm. Now fs you clearly see a picture about whats about to happen
like kata showed many times in wci for example
He has a clear picture of what happens.
(which as luffy showed vs mihawk and sanji in the next scene of this moment is subject to change depending on the actions taken)
Now zoro clearly says he doesnt dodge or sense anything. And as i stated earlier he was extremely calm, He not only knew where the rocks would and wouldnt fall he also knew exactly which rock his sword was under. This clealry points to like above with luffy and kata he had the scene play to him so he knew exactly what was gonna happen.
Its not sketchy at all it actually fits pretty well, do i believe oda had all the ins and outs of haki back then no not at all.
Its not an over complication at all.
At this point in the manga we have the explanations for acoa from hyou and fs from kata, both moments of zoro fit into both sections and follow the same guidelines as explained for each ability.
The first problem here is that you're suggesting that Luffy and Zoro displayed advanced forms of an ability they hadn't even trained in their most basic expression. Not only that, but Zoro actually mastered it to a point where he could use it casually (which he did). That's your first stretch.

Second, I'm not suggesting that his sword turned physically blunt. I'm suggesting that he chose not to cut the leaf and so it happened. That was the main point of that power, not covering it with a barrier from an advanced armament that has been shown to be actually an offensive weapon. The point of the breath of things, what is clearly explained in two chapters, is channeling your will to your sword and ultimately master it to the point of being able to cut anything and nothing at the same time. So no matter how sharp your sword is because you won't be willing to cut the piece of paper and, therefore, it won't. Not because you summoned an invisible armor but because your will wasn't to do so.

With Luffy it isn't clear what happens because future sight is an advanced power that he learned recently after spending two years training the basic form. You're trying to sell quite an unbelievable jump by suggesting that a Luffy who ignored the basics of observation, who hadn't even awakened it (and we saw what happens when you awaken it with Coby or Usopp), happened to see into the future even though that's a very advanced, rare power that only the strongest achieve. For all we know, that panel could be Luffy's thoughts on what would have happened if he had gone crazy (in other words, uncalmed) and attacked the World's Strongest Swordsman with such attack, or why not? The lecture that a glimpse of basic observation gave him on Mihawk's intent of cutting his arms.

And Zoro knew where the rocks would fall because he heard their breath. I mean, he explicitly states so, that the rocks had a breath to them like a sense of life (I don't know why you say that he "clearly doesn't sense anything", that's not the case at all). All of which precisely goes against how basic CoO and future sight both work, as the first doesn't feel inanimate things and the second doesn't sense but receives a detailed image of what's to come, hence why in your own panel Katakuri didn't understand why Pudding fell. That's also why he knew where his sword was, he could hear its breath, just like he could hear the palm leaf breathing or Bonez's steal body doing so. He wasn't seeing his future self picking the sword up or something like that.

It doesn't fit in any way possible. You're cherry-picking the commonality of being calm while forcing the assumption that they, out of the blue, happened to display (in Zoro's case to a certain control in next pre-timeskip arcs) the advanced forms of a power not only they hadn't awakened, but they were taught in their basic forms by their timeskip masters.

Zoro explicitly states that he was sensing the breath of those things, that's why he knew where the rocks would fall and where his sword was. This ability, more importantly, is directly related to the power of cutting anything but nothing at the same time since, as Zoro himself reflects, the power to sense the breathing is what allows you to perform such cuts. So apparently this advanced armament that Hyogoro explained (without Luffy ever thinking of "hurting anything but nothing at the same time", only punching harder) in the same fashion as Koshiro isn't armament alone anymore even though he was teaching Luffy advanced armament; it also requires a supposed observation that works in no way like any other explanation we've been given before nor any other usage we've seen (and no, future sight has nothing to do with sensing the breath of inanimate objects, which is what Zoro did as he explicitly stated).

Breath of things was clearly conceived as an ability of swordsmen who awaken the power to sense the breath of inanimate things (unlike observation, which senses living beings) and connect their will to it through the sword in order to cut anything but nothing at the same time (or, in other words, to perform a slash that won't damage a leaf but will cut through a rock). That's it. And I'll be even more concise: the logic behind armament, which is, a stronger armor grants more powerful attacks (as explained by Rayleigh), goes completely against how the breath of things was portrayed as Zoro tried to cut Bonez with harder and stronger attacks but all he needed to cut his steal was a specific quality slash that connected with its breath. The logic behind observation, which is, sensing living beings but not inanimate (hence why Fujitora or Usopp saw living auras or Enel wouldn't predict random punches), again goes completely against how the breath of things was portrayed as Zoro sensed the breath of inanimate objects (exactly that which observation won't sense, and in case you mention future sight, it doesn't sense but provides detailed images of incoming events).

Of course it will make sense if we keep it simple and think "hey, Hyogoro said the same as Koshiro and haki is will, so it makes sense that breath of things is advanced haki flowing through the sword!". Yeah, that's not the problem. Everything will make perfect sense as long as we focus on the things that support it and ignore the rest. The problem is the amou nt of things that won't hold up, the amount of incongruencies we have to ignore or explain with imposed reasonings that, for example, will require combining observation with armament even though that was nowhere to be mentioned or even hinted in Udon.

Zoro sensed the breath of things and therefore could slice through them. Zoro didn't slice the leaf but the rock because he channeled his will following breath of the rock. That's the point of "cutting anything but nothing at the same time", not some intrincate theory about activating and deactivating an advanced armament which produces an invisible armor that was clearly drawn breaking a stone apart just by touch when explained by Hyogoro. And that's the armor that won't damage a piece of paper?

And that's my last take on this issue. Oda retconned the power and now we need people like you or the original poster making up explanations to add some sense to such mess that will ignore the incongruences and will force scenarios like rookies with no undertanding of basic haki awakening advanced forms. Good luck with that, sincerely.

HA001

The first problem here is that you're suggesting that Luffy and Zoro displayed advanced forms of an ability they hadn't even trained in their most basic expression. Not only that, but Zoro actually mastered it to a point where he could use it casually (which he did). That's your first stretch.

Second, I'm not suggesting that his sword turned physically blunt. I'm suggesting that he chose not to cut the leaf and so it happened. That was the main point of that power, not covering it with a barrier from an advanced armament that has been shown to be actually an offensive weapon. The point of the breath of things, what is clearly explained in two chapters, is channeling your will to your sword and ultimately master it to the point of being able to cut anything and nothing at the same time. So no matter how sharp your sword is because you won't be willing to cut the piece of paper and, therefore, it won't. Not because you summoned an invisible armor but because your will wasn't to do so.

With Luffy it isn't clear what happens because future sight is an advanced power that he learned recently after spending two years training the basic form. You're trying to sell quite an unbelievable jump by suggesting that a Luffy who ignored the basics of observation, who hadn't even awakened it (and we saw what happens when you awaken it with Coby or Usopp), happened to see into the future even though that's a very advanced, rare power that only the strongest achieve. For all we know, that panel could be Luffy's thoughts on what would have happened if he had gone crazy (in other words, uncalmed) and attacked the World's Strongest Swordsman with such attack, or why not? The lecture that a glimpse of basic observation gave him on Mihawk's intent of cutting his arms.

And Zoro knew where the rocks would fall because he heard their breath. I mean, he explicitly states so, that the rocks had a breath to them like a sense of life (I don't know why you say that he "clearly doesn't sense anything", that's not the case at all). All of which precisely goes against how basic CoO and future sight both work, as the first doesn't feel inanimate things and the second doesn't sense but receives a detailed image of what's to come, hence why in your own panel Katakuri didn't understand why Pudding fell. That's also why he knew where his sword was, he could hear its breath, just like he could hear the palm leaf breathing or Bonez's steal body doing so. He wasn't seeing his future self picking the sword up or something like that.

It doesn't fit in any way possible. You're cherry-picking the commonality of being calm while forcing the assumption that they, out of the blue, happened to display (in Zoro's case to a certain control in next pre-timeskip arcs) the advanced forms of a power not only they hadn't awakened, but they were taught in their basic forms by their timeskip masters.

Zoro explicitly states that he was sensing the breath of those things, that's why he knew where the rocks would fall and where his sword was. This ability, more importantly, is directly related to the power of cutting anything but nothing at the same time since, as Zoro himself reflects, the power to sense the breathing is what allows you to perform such cuts. So apparently this advanced armament that Hyogoro explained (without Luffy ever thinking of "hurting anything but nothing at the same time", only punching harder) in the same fashion as Koshiro isn't armament alone anymore even though he was teaching Luffy advanced armament; it also requires a supposed observation that works in no way like any other explanation we've been given before nor any other usage we've seen (and no, future sight has nothing to do with sensing the breath of inanimate objects, which is what Zoro did as he explicitly stated).

Breath of things was clearly conceived as an ability of swordsmen who awaken the power to sense the breath of inanimate things (unlike observation, which senses living beings) and connect their will to it through the sword in order to cut anything but nothing at the same time (or, in other words, to perform a slash that won't damage a leaf but will cut through a rock). That's it. And I'll be even more concise: the logic behind armament, which is, a stronger armor grants more powerful attacks (as explained by Rayleigh), goes completely against how the breath of things was portrayed as Zoro tried to cut Bonez with harder and stronger attacks but all he needed to cut his steal was a specific quality slash that connected with its breath. The logic behind observation, which is, sensing living beings but not inanimate (hence why Fujitora or Usopp saw living auras or Enel wouldn't predict random punches), again goes completely against how the breath of things was portrayed as Zoro sensed the breath of inanimate objects (exactly that which observation won't sense, and in case you mention future sight, it doesn't sense but provides detailed images of incoming events).

Of course it will make sense if we keep it simple and think "hey, Hyogoro said the same as Koshiro and haki is will, so it makes sense that breath of things is advanced haki flowing through the sword!". Yeah, that's not the problem. Everything will make perfect sense as long as we focus on the things that support it and ignore the rest. The problem is the amou nt of things that won't hold up, the amount of incongruencies we have to ignore or explain with imposed reasonings that, for example, will require combining observation with armament even though that was nowhere to be mentioned or even hinted in Udon.

Zoro sensed the breath of things and therefore could slice through them. Zoro didn't slice the leaf but the rock because he channeled his will following breath of the rock. That's the point of "cutting anything but nothing at the same time", not some intrincate theory about activating and deactivating an advanced armament which produces an invisible armor that was clearly drawn breaking a stone apart just by touch when explained by Hyogoro. And that's the armor that won't damage a piece of paper?

And that's my last take on this issue. Oda retconned the power and now we need people like you or the original poster making up explanations to add some sense to such mess that will ignore the incongruences and will force scenarios like rookies with no undertanding of basic haki awakening advanced forms. Good luck with that, sincerely.
Lmfao the one who is reaching here is you.
Haki is will.
If you put your will on your sword to cut and not cut youre putting your haki.
Theres not breath for everything. Theres not leaf breath that he needs to cut leaves and stone breath to cut stone etc.
Its haki. When he cuts mr 1 hes using armament.

You need to explain how not wanting to cut leaves makes a sword not cut if its not barrier instead of just saying it isnt.

Ive given you examples there and your answer is just no with no rebuttle or alternative to downright being dishonest.
On the luffy one normal coo has never ever been shown like that. Same goes for the zoro rocks one where i even give you Stephen pauls translation. Both of them match with kata using fs.