Character Discussion Crocodile vs Doflamingo character and villain -wise

Who is better overall?

• Total voters

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Probably the top 2 villains of OP thus far. Let's compare them a bit. Let's talk about their characters, who was the better villain, who had the better design, who had the better powers, who was more evil, whose gimmicks were better, etc etc. Basically anything you can come up with.

VS

Some tags to get this rolling

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Crocodile and Mingo are exactly the same but at the same time, opposites.....

Crocodile
-Arrogant Shichibukai
-Plain colors
-subjugated an entire country by starting a rebellion from within
-Hailed as a hero
-A princess needed help for his downfall
-Cunning and manipulative
-Didnt cate about his subordinates
-Was looking for a weapon
-Fought Luffy underground and was knocked into the air

Mingo
-Arrogant Shichibukai
-Bright, vibrant colors
-subjugated an entire country by faking an attack
-Was hailed as a hero
-a princess needed help for his downfall
-Cares about his subordinates
-Was looking to destroy the world
-Fought Luffy in the air and was knocked underground

Doflamingo edges out for being the only COMPLETE villain(aka backstory, properly explained motivations, nuance etc.).

S

Shuyaku

Crocodile and Mingo are exactly the same but at the same time, opposites.....

Crocodile
-Arrogant Shichibukai
-Plain colors
-subjugated an entire country by starting a rebellion from within
-Hailed as a hero
-A princess needed help for his downfall
-Didnt cate about his subordinates
-Was looking for a weapon

Mingo
-Arrogant Shichibukai
-Bright, vibrant colors
-subjugated an entire country by faking an attack
-Was hailed as a hero
-a princess needed help for his downfall
-Cares about his subordinates
-Was looking to destroy the world

Doflamingo edges out for being the only COMPLETE villain(aka backstory, properly explained motivations, nuance etc.).
Crocodile is a budget Doflamingo

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
I always liked the contrast between these finishes. I think it was Morj who mentioned Luffy knocking Crocoboy towards the surface as a metaphor of his schemes being compromised and revealed to everyone. On the flip side, Luffy smashing Doffy down into the ground is basically bringing God crashing down from the heavens, reverting him back into a human, as Luffy tore down Doffy's rule over Dressrosa.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Between the two I prefer Doflamingo Donquixote. As a character, he's fleshed out to the point where we know his insecurities, his past trauma, his soft spots (particularly for children tossed away) and the love he has for his family. We also have a full list of atrocities committed by him over his life, a fully realized maniac who needed just the right push to send him spirally into this evil persona.

Crocodile's not entirely a blank check, but comparing the two isn't fair. Crocodile's a patient and stoic man who has a darwinistic view of the world. Likely over his past encounter with Whitebeard, he puts zero value in camaraderie and keeps himself isolated from his own "crew". He's evil, willing to kill subordinates, random pirates, even encourage over a million people to die over his machinations, but it always seems more about business for Crocodile. He doesn't appear to derive as much pleasure over murder as Doflamingo. Likewise, his ultimate plan didn't revolve around utter destruction, but likely obtaining Pluton to destroy Whitebeard.

While Crocodile's very entertaining, until Oda gives us more about him, it's easy to pick Doflamingo when it comes purely to character. Power wise? Close call. Crocodile's so fucking cool with the suna—suna no mi, and the Ito—Ito no mi is iconic in its own right. But I think I slightly prefer Crocodile here.

Doflamingo is better in my humble opinion. I never cared that much for Crocodile, although I don't like Mingo either because he was just too good at being a hate-able villain. It comes down to nuance and characterization. Oda gave the audience more insight into how Doffy's motivations and how losing his status affected his character. On the flip side though, Doflamingo's story is pretty much finished while Crocodile still has room to be explored.

Character: Croc, while Doflamingo may have a fleshed out backstory, I didn’t like the direction Oda took with him in Dressrosa.
Design: this one is tough, they’re both really good. I feel like Doflamingo may be the more unique of the two, but Croc is essentially Captain Hook if he were a mob boss, so will go with him.
Powers: again, both are great. Unfortunately though, Doflamingo’s powers kind of got worse the further we got into Dressrosa, I wish we had gotten to see him Parasite a SH to fight the others and more stuff like Spider’s Web instead of Awakening, while Crocodile’s powers have remained fairly consistent, so giving it to Croc again.
Evil factor: oh boy, this is an awkward one. Doflamingo had some very dark evil moments, like when he took his father’s head back to Mariejois to try and get his World Noble status back, nearly drowning that gladiator while telling him that blood and death were “entertainment” for humans, tried getting Law to perform the fatal immortality surgery, and frequently used his powers to make people fight each other. On the other hand (hope this makes sense), his evil seemed forced/eyeroll worthy towards the climax of his arc, like how he kept ranting he had the blood of the gods, people were meant to be controlled by him, etc. It was just so awkward. Croc was no slouch either, tricking Alabasta into a civil war where many people died, all for the sake of acquiring a WMD and creating his utopia, and often passed the time sending a sandstorm purely to torture an old man digging for water, cruelly shutting down Vivi’s attempts to save her people, etc. I’ll give it to Doflamingo for this one, but I felt like his evil got too cheesy during the climax of Dressrosa.
Threat level: Crocodile by far, while it doesn’t help Dressrosa had Fujitora and Sabo there, Doflamingo made too many stupid decisions and got turned into a Saturday morning cartoon villain at the end.
Tl;dr, imo Doflamingo had the potential to be one of the best villains/characters, but while he certainly had some moments, Oda didn’t manage to do him justice. Crocodile was more consistent and lived up to his hype more, so I’d say that Crocodile > Doflamingo overall.

Last edited: