Dabi General Discussion Thread

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars

I’m surprised this thread doesn’t exist yet. Dabi is one of the most mysterious characters in MHA, with his true identity and backstory being almost completely unknown outside of small hints. So who is this guy? Is he the enigmatic Toya Todoroki we’ve heard so much about? And what is his role in the future?

I found this incredible theory about Dabi on YouTube which inspired me to create this thread lmfao. Share your thoughts!

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
I started the video ready to hate on the theory, heard it before and I'm not sure I want that for Dabi's backstory. But the points he eventually got to? Some of'em are good, especially Endeavor's more recent development surrounding his guilt towards Touya. That break down was good. Felt like the "A hero always saves someone" doesn't have to be ingrained from the Public Safety Commission though, that's just public knowledge.

It's tough to really say what Dabi will do in the future. Hori is holding him back majorly, even for the League of Villains, so I expect that once Dabi's identity is revealed, his influence in the series will become more profound. I'm talking like Overhaul levels of waves being made by this guy. The current arc has Dabi doing well but he's been on the backburner since his intro.

Obviously, Dabi will fight Shoto at some point. Only question is how Dabi keeps up with Shoto. IMO, Todoroki probably gives Dabi a good fight now and that's a Shoto who's still pretty amateur-ish with his fire side. Shoto's got a lot of growth. Maybe Shigaraki will give him a secondary quirk or regeneration to help maintain his fire quirk.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
"A hero always saves someone" doesn't have to be ingrained from the Public Safety Commission though, that's just public knowledge.
This is true but the line becomes more meaningful and personal to Dabi if Dabi went through brutal hero training. This moment would be him stating a fact about heroes with spite and anger in his heart, but if it’s just something he’s saying from common knowledge, the moment loses power imo.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
Nice job by Turtle Quirk. I kind of made distant connections between those hints, but when they're presented collectively in one go it's even more convincing. I think most people agree that he's Toya. I'd just like a more surprising twist that goes beyond that, as his identity was constantly teased and intentionally kept close to the chest. It's starting to make me lose interest in actually finding out, if you know what I mean.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd like to see an attempt at a redemption arc for Dabi. If Enji's arc of becoming a better father/hero/man can have an impact on his children, why not Dabi too? I know this is probably fan fic but who knows lol

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
This is true but the line becomes more meaningful and personal to Dabi if Dabi went through brutal hero training. This moment would be him stating a fact about heroes with spite and anger in his heart, but if it’s just something he’s saying from common knowledge, the moment loses power imo.
Well I guess, but I never took it as something that was too impactful in the first case. If anything it could just be a tongue and cheek remark about Endeavor's own parentage not fitting a hero's code.
that would pretty much give us 2 Endeavors.
Yeah but Dabi as he is now doesn't have the stamina to fight Pro Heroes unless in extremely favorable situations. He needs something to balance out his shitty stamina if he'll be a threat to Shoto.