Dealing With Depression

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Due to the global pandemic, there’s a lot of stress and worry in the air. So much of what society was like beforehand is totally in flux now; we don’t even know WHEN we’ll all be able to gather in public again, let alone what will be different about the same. We’re all cooped up in our houses, unable to spend time with people we love or enjoy most outside activities; as a result, I’ve noticed a lot of people (both here and on other social media platforms) talk about how they’ve been feeling sluggish, unhappy, or flat out depressed through this trying time.

Therefore, I thought it might be nice for us to have a thread solely dedicated to talking about those feelings, getting them out in the open and grappling with them with the help of a supportive base of fellow One Piece fans. We can use this spot to give each other a much needed morale boost, share tips for keeping your mind occupied while you’re trapped inside your house, or just swap generalities of how depression has affected your life, temporarily or otherwise.

I have always wrestled with clinical depression; the earliest memory of it was when I was 12 years old - I got a brand new journal, and the first entry I wrote ended with “Some days, I think I should just kill myself and be done with everything.” Not a day has gone by since that I didn’t have that thought at least once...there have been points where the only thing that keeps me from following through is knowing how much the act would hurt the people I love.

Since I’ve dealt with this shit for more than half my life, I‘ve gotten used to carrying it with me, but the quarantine has been pretty detrimental to constantly combatting it. Being forced to reckon with your demons on top of wondering if a deadly virus will touch you or your family/friends is a hell of a one-two combo...so I’m trying to find ways to keep myself distracted. I take my dog on walks around the block, call my loved ones who live in different states, read books I’ve neglected for a long time, listen to my favorite music, and have long conversations with the girlfriend I’m thankful to have with me through all this shit.

How many of you out there are dealing with these same dark thoughts and feelings? What do you do to keep them at bay? Feel free to say whatever you’d like about the storm that rages inside you; this phrase is dumb, but this is truly a safe space.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Well man I totally understand you and my depression even brought me illnesses. :sabogood:

I accepted that life is a special gift. Doesn't matter if it's from God or an alien civilization simulating us or anything our brains are too primitive to imagine or cannot even be imagined.

So we should appreciate every moment of it.

Imagine people who are dying from Covid and wanted to live as long as possible, I feel bad then.

So I tend to be as joyful as possible, that's why I also developed a Commander like personality. Cause life is too short to let others influence it.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Well man I totally understand you and my depression even brought me illnesses. :sabogood:

I accepted that life is a special gift. Doesn't matter if it's from God or an alien civilization simulating us or anything our brains are too primitive to imagine or cannot even be imagined.

So we should appreciate every moment of it.

Imagine people who are dying from Covid and wanted to live as long as possible, I feel bad then.

So I tend to be as joyful as possible, that's why I also developed a Commander like personality. Cause life is too short to let others influence it.
This is a really great POV, but I expected no less from you, man! Still, there are a lot of times when I can’t find any comfort even in this knowledge...maybe I just need better coping mechanisms. Have you ever gone to therapy, by chance?

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
This is a really great POV, but I expected no less from you, man! Still, there are a lot of times when I can’t find any comfort even in this knowledge...maybe I just need better coping mechanisms. Have you ever gone to therapy, by chance?
No therapy. I stand by the idea anime and manga, expecially for their communities, were fundamental for my psychological development, thanks to the amazing people you get to find. Sure we can't hug people from the net, but it's a personal space where countless of messages can be shared and moments be spent together.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
No therapy. I stand by the idea anime and manga, expecially for their communities, were fundamental for my psychological development, thanks to the amazing people you get to find. Sure we can't hug people from the net, but it's a personal space where countless of messages can be shared and moments be spent together.
Have to agree, the last year and a half would have been significantly worse if not for the community I found here and (to a lesser extent) on OJ. Having something like One Piece immediately give you common ground with someone is a great way to start a real friendship; even though I’ve never met any of y’all, I still consider you to be my buddies and confidants. That’s another reason why I wanted to make this thread, because friends need a place where they can support each other and talk openly about the kind of shit that the general public (or for some of us, family and IRL pals) might not understand as well...this lockdown shit sucks so much, but having this forum definitely eases the melancholy by quite a bit :feelscryingman:

SmokedOut

Life Is Good ✌️
Guess what JDB, you aren't alone in your struggles. I too have battled bouts of depression for a larger portion of my life. I've been in the military for the majority of my adult life, and trust me when I say I've seen and experienced the lion's share of fucked up shit. So on behalf of my illustrious country, I have developed PTSD (a form of depression). The therapy I've been in mildly helps, but what really gets me through each day is finding something that brings me joy/peace/love, embracing it, and letting that be my lighthouse in a tumultuous sea of bullshit. In light of recent world events, my practice of focusing of what's important is paying off and it keeps me grounded in my own confines of control. Keep your head up my man, this too shall pass.:cheers:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Guess what JDB, you aren't alone in your struggles. I too have battled bouts of depression for a larger portion of my life. I've been in the military for the majority of my adult life, and trust me when I say I've seen and experienced the lion's share of fucked up shit. So on behalf of my illustrious country, I have developed PTSD (a form of depression). The therapy I've been in mildly helps, but what really gets me through each day is finding something that brings me joy/peace/love, embracing it, and letting that be my lighthouse in a tumultuous sea of bullshit. In light of recent world events, my practice of focusing of what's important is paying off and it keeps me grounded in my own confines of control. Keep your head up my man, this too shall pass.:cheers:
Holy shit, dude...first of all, thank you for your service; I may not be a fan of the government, but the armed forces do more good than they’re credited for. PTSD is like the final boss of clinical depression, I’m amazed by you and anyone who can walk around with that shit and still wanna be a member of society.

That advice is really solid, I tend to lose sight of that concept most days. One time while I was discussing this topic with my father (who I definitely inherited this chemical imbalance from), he told me I had to pull myself up by the bootstraps - I remember thinking it was a callous thing to say, but I’ve learned that he meant there’s no shame in seeking help for our problems, but we’re all ultimately responsible for maintaining a certain baseline. If, as you and Final have said, it’s as simple as consciously taking a step back on a bad day and trying to find the silver lining, I first have to find a way not to forget that prompt :josad:

SmokedOut

Life Is Good ✌️
Holy shit, dude...first of all, thank you for your service; I may not be a fan of the government, but the armed forces do more good than they’re credited for. PTSD is like the final boss of clinical depression, I’m amazed by you and anyone who can walk around with that shit and still wanna be a member of society.

That advice is really solid, I tend to lose sight of that concept most days. One time while I was discussing this topic with my father (who I definitely inherited this chemical imbalance from), he told me I had to pull myself up by the bootstraps - I remember thinking it was a callous thing to say, but I’ve learned that he meant there’s no shame in seeking help for our problems, but we’re all ultimately responsible for maintaining a certain baseline. If, as you and Final have said, it’s as simple as consciously taking a step back on a bad day and trying to find the silver lining, I first have to find a way not to forget that prompt :josad:
Thanks for your support good sir. Haha I'm not the biggest fan of the government myself, but I gotta do what's best for yours truly. Yup PTSD is a monster, but that monster can be tamed. If I start to feel a certain type of way, I've learnt to cement myself in the moment and think that things could be immeasurably worst. Lol what your dad said sounds like something old man would say. The older generation my come across as cold or callous, but at the end of the day, they mean well. Of course everyday isn't sunshine and rainbows and we all face tough times; however, the best thing about rainy days is that that are only temporary.

If you ever need to get something of your chest and vent, just know you're in a safe place. ☮️

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Thanks for your support good sir. Haha I'm not the biggest fan of the government myself, but I gotta do what's best for yours truly. Yup PTSD is a monster, but that monster can be tamed. If I start to feel a certain type of way, I've learnt to cement myself in the moment and think that things could be immeasurably worst. Lol what your dad said sounds like something old man would say. The older generation my come across as cold or callous, but at the end of the day, they mean well. Of course everyday isn't sunshine and rainbows and we all face tough times; however, the best thing about rainy days is that that are only temporary.

If you ever need to get something of your chest and vent, just know you're in a safe place. ☮️
You know, you hit the nail on the head with that bit about the older generation...think that kind of pragmatism mixed with our generation’s tendency towards acceptance is gonna make it easier for people to come forward about this kind of thing instead of repressing it like the ones BEFORE the ones before us. With thinking like that, I’m sure we’ll make a better world for those that come after us even with all the bullshit currently happening :sabogood:

SmokedOut

Life Is Good ✌️
You know, you hit the nail on the head with that bit about the older generation...think that kind of pragmatism mixed with our generation’s tendency towards acceptance is gonna make it easier for people to come forward about this kind of thing instead of repressing it like the ones BEFORE the ones before us. With thinking like that, I’m sure we’ll make a better world for those that come after us even with all the bullshit currently happening :sabogood:
Indeed. While we're in the vocal monitory, hopefully us, and those the come after, will make things a bit better.

H

Homelander

I have to say we should be positive with our approach. Covid 19 has thrown a challengelike never before . Its important we feel stable in lockdown.

Workouts in morning
House cleaning
For positive thought i prefer reading novels it helps me to regain composure.

Gardening has also played good role in keeping me busy i recommend you could grow plants in your backyard if you live in villa or buy plants and grow vegetable seeds.

I hope things workout for you free feel to message on forum i do feel being connected helps out we can consoleyour worries.

This is new normal we'll get over it .

However i do feel some companies are taking unfair tactics to layoff employee this is morally wrong and i see no Government suing them . I ll never work for them if they think profit is above health crisis which has affected the world in a century .
Also we engineers are always stressed due to intense work in addition man.

It's like a double edged sword and not just one.

H

Homelander

Also we engineers are always stressed due to intense work in addition man.

It's like a double edged sword and not just one.
To be fair i stopped taking stress. I had intense heartburn because of my workhaolic attitude.

My doc told me its imperative i work only 8 hrs and not more because he think humans lose immunity as we age because of lack of routine excercise and over dependent on technology.

I take it easy these days and defers tasks which takes longer period.

To be fair i stopped taking stress. I had intense heartburn because of my workhaolic attitude.

My doc told me its imperative i work only 8 hrs and not more because he think humans lose immunity as we age because of lack of routine excercise and over dependent on technology.

I take it easy these days and defers tasks which takes longer period.
Yes he is right. Sedentary life is a mess for our immunity system.

Quarantine is killing that even worse. :S

Depression is the worst kind of feeling. Especially now, with this whole crisis thing going on, it can be extremely difficult to cope with it. I guess, keeping a strong mental attitude and some slight hopefulness in the back of your mind, is the way to go. Pessimism is always going to drown you and put you down, but, if you're optimistic enough you can get through this.

We don't know how long this whole thing is going to last, so the future is uncertain and things will definitely change. Hopefully though, everything and everyone will be alright.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Depression is the worst kind of feeling. Especially now, with this whole crisis thing going on, it can be extremely difficult to cope with it. I guess, keeping a strong mental attitude and some slight hopefulness in the back of your mind, is the way to go. Pessimism is always going to drown you and put you down, but, if you're optimistic enough you can get through this.

We don't know how long this whole thing is going to last, so the future is uncertain and things will definitely change. Hopefully though, everything and everyone will be alright.
That seems to be the through line in this thread - optimism, even forced, is key to maintaining a positive mindset. I’ve been told that the “fake it ‘til you make it” tact works for some, that they smile when they’re upset until the grin becomes real...it sounds even more depressing to me than just letting the darkness consume you, but it seems to be somewhat effective.