Versus Battle Death Note vs Monster

Which/Who is better?

• Total voters

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž
I found Death Note more compelling. It left a pretty deep impression on me. On the other hand, I don't even recall the general plot of Monster.

Light is an unrealistic but very entertaining character, including due to his wit and intelligence.
Tenma is obviously rooted in reality, so it depends on what you look for. If we wanna exaggerate, itยดs like comparing a superhero/super antihero to a real life person.

I myself definitely prefer Tenma, since you can much more empathize with his journey. Light was a finished character almost immediately, and the rest was just a battle of wits between him and L (iirc, Light immediately talks about becoming a god of the new world at the end of episode 1 or 2).

Support characters also goes to Monster, but i maybe biased since a lot of the story was based in Germany, and the characters were really realistic.
Monster better plot, especially since it does not overstay its welcome, DN unfortunately does (Lยดs death was supposed to be the end, mangaka duo got "forced" to extend the story).

M

mckengrie

Death Note L and Kira

Which verse has better Support/role Characters
Monster.

Which verse has the better plot
Monster.

Which show has a better ending
Both
Post automatically merged:

Support characters also goes to Monster, but i maybe biased since a lot of the story was based in Germany,
Why?

Tried to read Monster the last few days ( was very sick so it kind of kept my mind occupied ).

Didn't finish it, wasn't interested enough ( stopped on like the 60th chapter ).

The worst thing of Monster ? His title ! 300 %.
Why ?

I first heard of Monster when I was like 12 or 13 years old maybe ? ( So like 12 years ago ) and why did I never gave it a chance until now ? Because I believed it was an horror manga with a gore Monster mutant and some sadists or other sick creatures from horror fiction when it is just a police / investigation manga. The title is shit. They should have called it "Tenma the gentle Brain doctor vs Genius Opponent number #72C ".

I am not fair with Monster because I was not either able to read Death Note ( too much text / too complicated ? ). And liked Death Note because the Anime was good.

H

Haoshoku

Never seen Monster but Iโ€™ve seen a few people saying itโ€™s the far better version of Death Note, donโ€™t know if thatโ€™s true.

Johann Liebert can move the heart of a human with just giving them an apple. While Light and L can trace a human's mind and their motives etc, Johan can do so with so much more effortlessness. And Johan can also somewhat control their feelings and response.

I'm sorry, i find the Deathnote characters way too dependant on the lengthy dialogue, break down their argument to simple points and their plans were not as complicated as the expositions. Their final act was dependant on copying the handwriting on a book. While Monster, the final villain was defeated before he is frustrated and depressed and trapped in his own existential crisis or something. I really think Johan is significantly smarter and more dominant in controlling the battlefield, even compared to Kira and L combined. Since his domain of authority and manipulation covers the enemies' logic/pattern but also their feelings.

The plot? It's always Monster imo. The subtlety of its storytelling, the main characters' colliding view and ideology, the philosophy of
death being the only thing that makes all lives equal
, its all so, so heartbreaking and beautiful.

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
Kira is a lot smarter
He would do a lot better than Tenma while Tenma will get arrested by L pretty fast
Do you think Light would catch Johan and how would Johan fare against L?

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
Watched Monster ages ago, bored the fuck out of me.
For real? I admit that Monster has a somewhat slower pacing at times, nothing too substantial, but imo it's a masterpiece. Where did you stop?

C

Cuistot

For real? I admit that Monster has a somewhat slower pacing at times, nothing too substantial, but imo it's a masterpiece. Where did you stop?
Only positive memory i have of the show is a certain character's death towards the end of the story i think ? I remember it being quite sad, Don't recall his name though. Other than that i forgot everything of the plot, i didn't like it that much.

I was also only about 15 at the time, which may have been a factor in why i didn't enjoy it.

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
I was also only about 15 at the time, which may have been a factor in why i didn't enjoy it.
Hmm, maybe. I'd recommend taking it up again, if you have the time.

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
Yeah. Sadly it's a bit long though. Would you classify it as more "mature" than DN ? Cause i watched it at around 10 yo and enjoyed it a lot regardless. Idk why nothing from Monster stuck with me, lol.
It's kinda tough to say. Both deal with murder, death and what not. But actually yes, I do think Monster is more mature so to say. If you watch it, you'll see why. Don't wanna spoil it for you lol. Also Monster is classified as a Seinen, while DN a Shonen, so yeah I guess it is more mature.

C

Cuistot

It's kinda tough to say. Both deal with murder, death and what not. But actually yes, I do think Monster is more mature so to say. If you watch it, you'll see why. Don't wanna spoil it for you lol. Also Monster is classified as a Seinen, while DN a Shonen, so yeah I guess it is more mature.
I'll give it another shot some day then. I didn't think it was trash or anything, just that it really bored me at some point, hence i didn't find it memorable.

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
I'll give it another shot some day then. I didn't think it was trash or anything, just that it really bored me at some point, hence i didn't find it memorable.
Aye. Lemme know how it goes.