Debate Duels

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an idea from a discord server which I've developed a bit and thought would be quite nice to have on here too. So the basic idea is for there to be a formal section for high quality debating.

Purposes:
-Create a higher quality of arguments
-Create more civil debates
-Promote better member interactions
-Clearer means of following a debate on an issue

How it works:
-Members volunteer to take part and enter a debate category hat --> 2 will randomly be selected to debate
-Mods pick a topic for debate from categories (power scaling, next nakama, shipping, etc.)
-Mods pick a set amount of rounds for debate (5 rounds = 5 replies each)
-Debaters pick a date
-Debate begins with participants anonymous and having their arguments posted through moderators
-At the conclusion of the debate, the audience will vote for: 1. What they personally believe, 2. Who had the best arguments, 3. Who they believe should win. Voters would take into consideration civility of debaters, how clearly they they explained their points, etc.
-After voting, debaters' identities revealed and winner receives league points.

There could be a whole system in which acquiring set amount of league points grants privileges, such as:

Being able to issue challenges in which you can decide the topic of debate, and challenge others to beat you
Propose a rematch and avoid the random selection process
Taking on similarly rated debaters

I think it would be quite nice to have a section with a proper system dedicated to it and could have a really positive impact on the forum. Thoughts?

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
I see potential in this idea, We totally encourage people to post quality content. I am willing to help however I can but we can't promise a separate section for now. We used to do something similar in a famous Naruto related forum back in the day. However, everything was organized by the users without the staff's involvement. I welcome you to do something similar for now. I'll personally request Bogard to create a separate section if it works out.

I won't have the time to run this but I can try and host the first debate and see how things go. @Den_Den_Mushi you able to help this first go?
Yeah I can try to help, I think this sounds like a great idea if it can be implemented and moderated properly. I like the idea of presenting different opinions and rewarding posters based on the merit of their arguments rather than a popularity contest. Let me know if this goes ahead!

Yeah I can try to help, I think this sounds like a great idea if it can be implemented and moderated properly. I like the idea of presenting different opinions and rewarding posters based on the merit of their arguments rather than a popularity contest. Let me know if this goes ahead!
Great! Thanks a lot. I'll try and advertise this then to see who wants to try first.

This is like CaV from Comicvine with I like the system how they start a discussion. I agree with just a system and hope we can use them here aswell.
@Cao Cao know CaV aswell very good, at least he and me reading many debates how such discussion thread is looking.
Oh nice, so older forums have already done something like this, huh? Thanks for tagging. Any help and spreading the word is really appreciated!

This is like CaV from Comicvine with I like the system how they start a discussion. I agree with just a system and hope we can use them here aswell.
@Cao Cao know CaV aswell very good, at least he and me reading many debates how such discussion thread is looking.
Forums like CV and AV uses them a lot. It is fun, but i wouldn´t make a CaV, since my english ist realy bad, haha. I enjoyed more to read the debates between two good, experienced user.

M

MD Zolo

I have a slightly different proposal for character-based debates.

e.g., if there needs to be Zoro vs. Sanji debate, have Zoro fans select five people from their side and Sanji fans select five people from theirs. Then throw those 10 people in a Udon-like thread which is invisible to all but the Mods and let the debate continue for a certain period of time.

After the said time, the thread will be locked but visible to all members to see what type of discussion took place.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
I have a slightly different proposal for character-based debates.

e.g., if there needs to be Zoro vs. Sanji debate, have Zoro fans select five people from their side and Sanji fans select five people from theirs. Then throw those 10 people in a Udon-like thread which is invisible to all but the Mods and let the debate continue for a certain period of time.

After the said time, the thread will be locked but visible to all members to see what type of discussion took place.
Like that too but the main problems will be the one to vote and choose the players : who will vote, how etc. If you have to be in a FC to be selected, who decide if you are a real fan or not etc.

But I like the fact that nobody could see it and after the reveal and the team fight can be a fun WAy to debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.