Do you think Anime community is not inclusive about women

I see anime /manga mostly caters to male gender and there is disparity between men and women who watch anime.

I suppose one of my female friends thinks mangaka/ anime creates fan service that is offputing them from watching or reading it or the plot devise is mostly surround about male MC love interest. Do you think Comic/Manga industry must change their age old chauvism and open upto badass woman lead that could inspire future generations.?

Last edited:
Shounen target audiance are young males. So you will get stuff like OP, Dragonball etc. That is geberally really liked by young males but meh for young females. Then of course there are mangas which target the female audiance. That stuff is usually something with a female protagonist and her love interest etc. (Or at least this is the kind of manga I know a friend of mine reads). Then of course there are expceptions in both ways but as I think you will hardly enjoy a manga focused on love affairs (same for me of course) you will hardly find females interested in Goku vs Cell and so on (One piece could be a special case since its horizons are for sure wider than your average shounen but it is the same genre and so Oda targets the same audiance: young males). Also don't expect Oda to change his winning formula after more than 1000 chapters.

What do you mean by badass women? A female character who would act like a male character?
A woman doesn't need to look like a man to inspire people.
The women in most serious manga are fine, no need to change them as I see it.
What's that fan service too? How many times did we see Luffy, Zoro, or Sanji shirtless?
Man and woman are different and think different. It's simple and it is entirely OK that they are different in a manga and do things that male characters don't.

The “HURR DURR IT’S SHONEN” argument is lame and illogical. It’s like saying the MCU doesn’t need female characters like Wanda or Widow because HERPA DERRP DERRRP ITSA COMIC TEEHEE I’M SO SMART.

Shonen can be written by women. Inuyasha and Demon Slayer have female authors. Women make up over half the viewing audience of One Piece and they have consumer power too. You’d be mad not to write good female characters and listen to the feedback of female audiences both from a commercial and artistic standpoint.

I mean what do I know? Just chug along with your same old tired chauvinistic tropes, it’s not like you’ll get countless scholarly articles trashing on your series like Naruto because you can’t seem to view anyone with a vagina as human.

The “HURR DURR IT’S SHONEN” argument is lame and illogical. It’s like saying the MCU doesn’t need female characters like Wanda or Widow because HERPA DERRP DERRRP ITSA COMIC TEEHEE I’M SO SMART.

Shonen can be written by women. Inuyasha and Demon Slayer have female authors. Women make up over half the viewing audience of One Piece and they have consumer power too. You’d be mad not to write good female characters and listen to the feedback of female audiences both from a commercial and artistic standpoint.

I mean what do I know? Just chug along with your same old tired chauvinistic tropes, it’s not like you’ll get countless scholarly articles trashing on your series like Naruto because you can’t seem to view anyone with a vagina as human.
The general complaint i got from my female friends are mostly the above points i guess. They think female MC should shine equally and not act as romantic interest to serve the plot.
What do you mean by badass women? A female character who would act like a male character?
What's that fan service too? How many times did we see Luffy, Zoro, or Sanji shirtless?
Man and woman are different and think different. It's simple and it is entirely OK that they are different in a manga and do things that male characters don't.
Fanservice mostly and bland characters like hinata,Orihime. It was opinion from my friend after she watched naruto.

?
Wanda from the MCU is strong as hell and she’s feminine. This isn’t the 90s where a woman who can throw hands is a novelty. People are demanding competent, complex female characters with more agency than being arm candy or shallow caricatures that revolve around the men like satellites. Wanda has her own character arc, is the lead in her own show, has flaws and has to grow out of them. That’s a strongly written female character.

I also don’t see the whole ‘men and women are different’ argument. So what? You have aggressive women (Captain Marvel, Okoye) and soft spoken men (T’Challa, Steve Rogers). Neither male nor female characters should be arbitrarily assigned traits based on gender.

The general complaint i got from my female friends are mostly the above points i guess. They think female MC should shine equally and not act as romantic interest to serve the plot.

Fanservice mostly and bland characters like hinata,Orihime. It was opinion from my friend after she watched naruto.
Fan service isn’t a problem if it’s done to both genders and it’s not dehumanising. Code Geass for example has tons of fan service but is generally considered pretty good in terms of its treatment of women.

Orrrr you could rely on the actual merits of your storytelling and not cheap anime titties and abs and have almost no fanservice for either gender such as Attack on Titan.

?
Wanda from the MCU is strong as hell and she’s feminine. This isn’t the 90s where a woman who can throw hands is a novelty. People are demanding competent, complex female characters with more agency than being arm candy or shallow caricatures that revolve around the men like satellites. Wanda has her own character arc, is the lead in her own show, has flaws and has to grow out of them. That’s a strongly written female character.

I also don’t see the whole ‘men and women are different’ argument. So what? You have aggressive women (Captain Marvel, Okoye) and soft spoken men (T’Challa, Steve Rogers). Neither male nor female characters should be arbitrarily assigned traits based on gender.
I'm not into the MCU tbh so I wouldn't know about all that. I've seen some movies, Wanda is ok I think. I haven't seen much of her to say more than that.

Anyway, I think you misunderstood me or maybe I misunderstood the OP. From what I'm getting there is a complain about female character not being badass or inspiring which isn't true imo. So it seems to me that to be acknowledged the female need to act like the men in the manga.
Which lead to my second point where I say they are different, so they don't need to act the same to be inspiring. They don't even need to be strong to be badass or to inspire, it goes the same way for men. Fucking mumen rider in One Punch Man is a better hero than most of the stronger heroes.

Don't know about Orihime but Hinata was a side character, I think she was well handled in the first half then she became boring but not every author can write good side characters with consistence.
In the second half of Naruto, almost every side characters was lame imo. I never felt invested in any of them regardless of their sex.

I'm not into the MCU tbh so I wouldn't know about all that. I've seen some movies, Wanda is ok I think. I haven't seen much of her to say more than that.

Anyway, I think you misunderstood me or maybe I misunderstood the OP. From what I'm getting there is a complain about female character not being badass or inspiring which isn't true imo. So it seems to me that to be acknowledged the female need to act like the men in the manga.
Which lead to my second point where I say they are different, so they don't need to act the same to be inspiring. They don't even need to be strong to be badass or to inspire, it goes the same way for men. Fucking mumen rider in One Punch Man is a better hero than most of the stronger heroes.
If you want to argue that Sakura, Nami or Yamato are inspiring Jesus Christ lmao you mustn’t have read or consumed any print or visual media from the past 20 years. Most anime women are utterly pathetic and brainless, replace them with a blow up sex doll with the same powers and nothing changes. No personality, no growth, no struggles and utterly irrelevant to the plot.

If you want to argue that Sakura, Nami or Yamato are inspiring Jesus Christ lmao you mustn’t have read or consumed any print or visual media from the past 20 years. Most anime women are utterly pathetic and brainless, replace them with a blow up sex doll with the same powers and nothing changes. No personality, no growth, no struggles and utterly irrelevant to the plot.
Yamato just arrived. What growth is she supposed to have in 10 panels?
Yeah sakura is shit. Nami is fine though. What about Bellemère? Vivi? Shirahoshi's mom?
You talked about Wanda earlier. Haven't seen the Wanda vision serie but if that's your idea of a good female character then maybe you also haven't read or watched any good show with relevant female either because she is the definition of a sex doll :kayneshrug: