Character Discussion Do you think Zoro would have been popular MC than luffy ?

I doubt it. Killua is "cooler" than Gon, but I don't think he will be more popular as the MC.

I honestly don't like the MC to be a badass edgy character, just a personal opinion.

Nope the best one, it's Goku (Dragon ball super doesn't exist)
Goku is the prototype for pretty much all of them but he is a shallow character with a linear arc. Sorry to say it but Super does exist, it's canon. The last real personality development he had was probably when he tried to make Gohan the man and Piccolo told him he was being an idiot for being so random about it.

Popularity poll suggested that the two were enclosed, one may criticize its format, but objectively speaking rather relatable at least odds wise. Imagine if parties were inverted and Zoro was the actual MC and Luffy being subdued.

Zoro would make bad MC. Many are Zoro fans because he is edgy badass and cool character. Oda has written him as some kind of infallible character. He doesn't make surprising choices. Infact I think One piece won't even move past east blue.
Someone said more Zoro panel time implies more popular. They totally didn't understand that less panel time was really a gift for characters like Zoro. No one will watch expressionless robot face for 1000+ panels. And by his logic if Oda gives Sanji similar cool moments as Zoro and more panel time, maybe he would have surpassed Zoro in popularity. Infact Sanji can make 1000 times better protagonist than Zoro.