General & Others Film Red Receives Terrible Reviews In Japan

The movie might be trash but it's doing far from bad.

2nd highest all time opening weekend of any movie ever released in Japan only behind Mugen Train

Opening revenue doesn’t matter, returning revenue and people going back for more does.
Meh, either way this film is easily going to blow past the previous ones by a huge ass margin.

The production quality seems inferior to Stampede, so yeah toei and all the stakeholders will be earning a shitload of return revenue from this one

Rej

Year of the black beard!
It is review bombing. This movie aint lower than a 3.7 solely because of music. Ado been rocking the japanese charts for weeks now.

The movie is bad. Really bad.

-There are a lot of narrative issues
-Uta motivation is completely hollow
-She is an unlikable character imo
-Some characters are there for absolutely no reason. They had no plot relevance and don’t even have a badass scene (prime example of that is Katakuri)
-The fights are shit 1/ because they are too shorts 2/ because the choreography is horrendous 3/ they did too much with the auras and color effect so you often don’t even understand what happened.
-There are too much singing ( in my theater the whole loudly complained at one point
-Too much CGI or at least too obvious
-The drawing and the animation are irregulars. Sometimes it is very good and other time it is completely shit

The only good thing imo is the first design of big boss.

In term of narrative « Z » was far better and in term of fanservice « Stampede » was far far better.

2/10
Post automatically merged:

The marine don’t help against Uta. In fact the marines are totally irrelevant in the movie.
Like Katakuri, The 5 elders and Rob Lucci, they served no purpose except of fan service but they don’t even say or do anything badass.

1The Elders are just there for expositions and sweating bullets because « omg do you what will happen if it awakens!!! »

-Rob Lucci is just there to try (because he failed) to stop a transponder nail ( and I’m not kidding).

-Katakuri is just there to save Brûlée ( as if Oven does not exist) and the only thing he did (using his FS to give infos on the big boss ) is useless because you have shanks telling him that he already know that.

-The admirals are just there to try to kill civilians because « the angry Akainu » is bad and everytime they are trying you have their way either Shanks or Beckmann stopped them and they stop even tho they could have continued. The worst is that a Celestial dragons was molested and we know that admirals has to exacted retribution for that no matter what…but no they dipped.

And the movie is filled with those kind of stuff.
Thank you bro!

Well the movie is shit and dumb..

The movie was pointless. Oda won't sacrifice real story characters and future elements for a non canon movie. So for me there was no point in watching FILM RED. Shanks was just used a promotion for the movie. But they can't do anything meaningful with his character. So it was a waste of time and money. If its non canon, i'd rather have a movie where I get what I actually signed up for. FILM RED tries to bait everyone with shanks, but there's really nothing much about him there, so people leave disappointed.

For movie ideas, I guess a main conflict that isn't solved by luffy punching hard and mayumi tanaka screaming her lungs out is interesting to me. they can go all out and change the formula. Maybe luffy captured by navy or another real internal strawhat conflict where a member leaves for real like usopp rather than sanji's "i have no choice but to leave". Atleast for me, thats how you'd get me to watch OP movies. They tried to do that with strong world but nami leaving was like sanji leaving, it was fake. + I realize it might be slow and some people wont enjoy it as much

Last edited:
The movie is bad. Really bad.

-There are a lot of narrative issues
-Uta motivation is completely hollow
-She is an unlikable character imo
-Some characters are there for absolutely no reason. They had no plot relevance and don’t even have a badass scene (prime example of that is Katakuri)
-The fights are shit 1/ because they are too shorts 2/ because the choreography is horrendous 3/ they did too much with the auras and color effect so you often don’t even understand what happened.
-There are too much singing ( in my theater the whole loudly complained at one point
-Too much CGI or at least too obvious
-The drawing and the animation are irregulars. Sometimes it is very good and other time it is completely shit

The only good thing imo is the first design of big boss.

In term of narrative « Z » was far better and in term of fanservice « Stampede » was far far better.

2/10
Post automatically merged:

The marine don’t help against Uta. In fact the marines are totally irrelevant in the movie.
Like Katakuri, The 5 elders and Rob Lucci, they served no purpose except of fan service but they don’t even say or do anything badass.

1The Elders are just there for expositions and sweating bullets because « omg do you what will happen if it awakens!!! »

-Rob Lucci is just there to try (because he failed) to stop a transponder nail ( and I’m not kidding).

-Katakuri is just there to save Brûlée ( as if Oven does not exist) and the only thing he did (using his FS to give infos on the big boss ) is useless because you have shanks telling him that he already know that.

-The admirals are just there to try to kill civilians because « the angry Akainu » is bad and everytime they are trying you have their way either Shanks or Beckmann stopped them and they stop even tho they could have continued. The worst is that a Celestial dragons was molested and we know that admirals has to exacted retribution for that no matter what…but no they dipped.

And the movie is filled with those kind of stuff.
We know one-piece movies are mostly about making money not the movie itself, they add elements that would make more money like merchandise(prime example is we get to know about different costumes for pretty much every character which doesn't even happen much in the series itself) and this one tried to use songs too. Every aspect of the movie is made to use unnecessary hype in and outside the movie to make money. The merchandise will be everywhere in every arcade we will have music game too.
The writer/screenplay guy is no one noteworthy even though it's one piece one of the top series. We can see where most effort and money goes towards making this money.
They should make movies like JJK instead. Atleast use that formula. Even though one piece being pirate movie has so much potential to make stand-alone movies since all they have to do is write a pirate mystery adventure like how we have POC...but no..they don't want to write good story and capitalize on existing characters fake hype created in main series.

Just saw it.

It has the same issues as Stampede where it basically justs exists to be fanservice but the actual plot and antagonist just aren't up to snuff, so they gotta tie them to a popular mysterious character (Bullet to Roger, Uta to Shanks) to make people think it'll be important to the larger plot.

That said Red does have more info that will probably be relevant in the manga than Stampede.