News Former Editor Naito changed his mind regarding “5 years” issue

D

Deleted member 83

Lol these editors

In a recent Oricon interview, Naito referred back to this topic again, and it seems like he changed his mind. He states that “But if Oda-san asserts that it will end in 5 years, then I believe it’ll end in exactly 5 years. Looking at the current speed of development in 「Wano Country Arc」, it does seem like the series is moving at a pace that actually can be finished in 5 years.”

Source: https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2148735/amp/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&ref_cd=tw_pic&__twitter_impression=true

Wano arc is one thing, but whether Oda can plan and execute the final arc on such a schedule is a different monster entirely.

Shonen manga have a reputation for final arcs that drag on much longer than expected. That's the culmination of the series, everything has to be wrapped up. The end has to outdo absolutely everything. Authors try to bring every side character and every hanging plot thread into the mix. One Piece will face this problem on far bigger scale than any other manga, the world is massive unlike any other and it cannot be underestimated.

I can't really give Oda the benefit of the doubt when it comes to pacing, 5 years still smells like 7 or 8 years. At the very least I pray and hope the man remains healthy and motivated to give us another great 5 years of One Piece.

I can't really give Oda the benefit of the doubt when it comes to pacing, 5 years still smells like 7 or 8 years. At the very least I pray and hope the man remains healthy and motivated to give us another great 5 years of One Piece.
As you said something as the One piece world can´t finished in 5 years if we count the elbaf arc and multiple other things, other mangaka who rush their final arc, totally fail to make a proper ending, if Oda rushing everything to get 5years, he would make the same fail. I hope he decide to make it longer, something for One piece you would need at least 7-10Years not 5years...
Or probably they could mean it in that way, after 5years we reaching the final arc? It would make more sense if the arc start in 5years and don´t end then.

Oda himself said that he would like to end One piece within 5 years, but that also means that at the current pace, at that time, he would not have managed that, so he has to speed up the pace which he's doing.

I automatically add a year to his estimates, and say that we've a fair 6-7 years left until One piece ends.

Wano is ending roughly at chapter 1000, probably a bit longer then that which is like Christmas 2020. After that we've Elbaf which I honestly can't see being more than Zou, so i give it 6 months max, then the big fight for one piece against Blackbeard and the final war.

Whether Oda meets his estimates depends on how he deals with 2 things, Shanks and Elbaf. That stands between Wano and Raftel now, so I wonder how that ties into the story.

I'm starting to believe that Big mom and Kaido both go down at Wano.

I am completely indifferent to these statements, given how invalid their estimate statements in the past turned out to be.

But since they are claiming to be sure this time, even after failed miscalculations in the past, there's a chance that they are already considering the potential increased time in their estimated 5 years. So maybe Onepiece will have only 2 arcs after Wano. Or at best 3.
Or i am giving em too much credit. Lol

Last edited:
Artur is currently translating the interview

Big, BIG new interview between Oricon and Oda's editor about the future of the series! Keep in mind I'm just going over it so some stuff might have some margin of inaccuracy (and the editors often love being vague), so please take this translation with a grain of salt.

First the editor expresses his joy at seeing the success of Stampede worldwide and seeing so many fans enjoying it. He fondly talks about the premiere in France, loving the fact that everyone in the theater started singing 'We Are'

Everyone in the staff loved the scope of the movie, claiming it felt almost like watching the end of the series (Naito cried). But while Oda did love it as well, he also flexed on the fact that he's definitely going to one up it by a longshot when it comes to the OP's final arc.

-STAMPEDE SPOILERS BELOW- The romanization of Laugh Tale in Stampede is indeed confirmed to be 100% canon. The decision was made by Oda himself and it's something he wanted to reveal in the story. He finally decided to do so in Stampede

He also talks about how Laugh Tale isn't about just the place that has the One Piece anymore. He hints at a bigger meaning for the island, which ties into why the name Laugh Tale is a big hint for it and why it was revealed in such a grand fashion

The interviewer worries if it's fine to say such things in an interview, but the editor claims Oda gave the approval. The series doesn't have that much left, so he wants people to hop on and read the Wano arc while they still can, since a bunch of stuff will be revealed there
Oda's decision to introduce the concept of the Laugh Tale eternal pose, as well as its romanization, in Stampede was to go against the conceived notion of big reveals being only in the main story of a manga and finding other ways for fans to engage

There's a reason why Oda is placing certain focus on Roger's past during Wano, claiming that, in Oda's words, "the Wano arc will tie deeply with the final arc in the series". This arc will give a major hint on "what the One Piece itself is"

I

Inspector_Mu

It is because fans keep believing that there are lots of arfs left

Yonko Saga is the beginning of the end
WCI
Wano

2 arcs are confirmed and left :
Elbaf arc and Paradise island arc (where teach falls)
Then Yonko Saga ends... we enter either raftel or war vs WG.

Wano war is literally the biggest war ever
Oda has been hinting it via kaido mouth, sbs and interviews

Wano is where we will learn so much about One Piece.

Lol these editors

In a recent Oricon interview, Naito referred back to this topic again, and it seems like he changed his mind. He states that “But if Oda-san asserts that it will end in 5 years, then I believe it’ll end in exactly 5 years. Looking at the current speed of development in 「Wano Country Arc」, it does seem like the series is moving at a pace that actually can be finished in 5 years.”

Source: https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2148735/amp/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&ref_cd=tw_pic&__twitter_impression=true
''But if Oda-san asserts that it will end in 5 years, then I believe it’ll end in exactly 5 years.''
Yeah sure...when pigs learn to fly, then maybe yes.

Non of Oda's estimates have ever been accurate - doubt it will Change.

5 years at Oda's current pace is about 200 chapters, which is about 100 chapters short of what I reckon he'll take to finish the series.
We are also getting an interview from Oda during next months jump festa, right ?
Yeah, might not be a big interview, but he'll at least give some insight into what's ahead for the year.
Basically Naito has no clue about how the story ends. I think no editor does. This begs the question: Does Oda have a backup plan for (God forbid) any accidents?i
Nope, he won't have anything.

Oda's what GRRM calls a "gardener" as an author.

I think there are two types of writers, the architects and the gardeners. The architects plan everything ahead of time, like an architect building a house. They know how many rooms are going to be in the house, what kind of roof they're going to have, where the wires are going to run, what kind of plumbing there's going to be. They have the whole thing designed and blueprinted out before they even nail the first board up. The gardeners dig a hole, drop in a seed and water it. They kind of know what seed it is, they know if planted a fantasy seed or mystery seed or whatever. But as the plant comes up and they water it, they don't know how many branches it's going to have, they find out as it grows. And I'm much more a gardener than an architect.”

Oda's said he knows what the ending is, but he hasn't planned out the details on the way

Question: ...Exactly how far ahead do you plan One Piece, and what is your story-planning technique?
Oda: I only have the ending of One Piece in my mind, and nothing else. But knowing the end point, I weave the story and make story arcs that build up to it.

We've seen this with how he's admitted throwing in major story details without planning them out- Vivi's identity, the Supernovas existing, Shanks stopping Marineford, I think he even recently said he didn't know the shipwrights were going to end up being CP9?

As far as I know all the editors know the "ending", which I imagine is just the broad concluding plot points, but they have no clue how Oda's going to get to it. Because Oda himself ain't sure.

Basically Naito has no clue about how the story ends. I think no editor does. This begs the question: Does Oda have a backup plan for (God forbid) any accidents?i
In fact, every editor know how One Piece ends. The first thing that Oda does when he has a new editor is to tell them the end.

Last edited:
M

MD Zolo

In fact, every editor know how One Piece ends. The first thing that Oda does when he has a new editor is to tell them the end.
Oda has said that he would change the ending if anybody could guess it, that itself means that the end is not set in stone.

However, that is beyond the point. Editors may know the end, but have no idea on how to get to the end.
Post automatically merged:

Interestingly, the beginning of the Wano arc, with Luffy stranded after falling into a whirlpool and meeting Zoro for the first time in a while, is purposefully meant to evoke nostalgia for the beginning of the series and make it feel like Luffy’s embarking on a new journey all over again. It was purposefully made to parallel the start of the series as sort of a fresh start for this arc, kinda acting like a soft reboot to draw fans that might’ve fallen out of touch with the series back in.
Can somebody confirm whether this is something Naito said or it is one of Artur's embellishments?

Last edited by a moderator: