Great Generals Tournament, Winners R1 - Round 1

Who Wins?

• Total voters

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Here we go! Now begins the First Round of Winners R1! In this bracket, we'll be putting the Winners from Pools up against each other. The loser of this bout will head to Losers R2, bypassing Losers R1 which will take place after this bracket. The Winner of these bouts proceeds to Winners R2. Let's get started!

Also the location and scenario have changed since we are out of pools so make sure to take that into consideration before voting!

Rules:
-Some of the Generals featured in this tournament have only hype and no feats, so just vote based on who you think would win based on whatever reasoning you feel!
-You MUST vote in the poll for your vote to count!
-Discussion is of course always welcome but keep it civil. Feel free to try and persuade each other why the General you feel is stronger overall would win.

Round 1 - Winners R1

Ou Sen

-Has a 100,000 Man Qin Army
-Subordinate Generals: Akou, Makou, Den Ri Mi, Sou Ou, Shi Ryu
-Ou Sen will also pick up the 6,000 men of the Gyoku Hou Unit, lead by 5,000 Man Commander Ou Hon (and Kanjou)

VERSUS

Duke Hyou

-Has a total force of 100,000 Qin Army including his Personal Cavalry
-Duke Hyou will also pick up the 8,000 men of the Hi Shin Unit, lead by 5,000 Man Commander Shin and 3,000 Man Commander Kyou Kai

Scenario: Duke Hyou begins on the Zhao Side. Ou Sen begins on the Qin side.
War to slay the opposing commander or force them to surrender by any means necessary. Literally any strategy or lack-there-of is allowed. If you think one of the Generals would permanently retreat, count that as a loss for that General.

The Winner of this match proceeds on in Winners, the Loser heads to the losers bracket.

Who Wins and Why?

Last edited:

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
And why is that? The Duke defeated Riboku’s own tactics, and Riboku is pecimistically = to Ousen as a tactician lol.

Plus Duke Hyou has the HSU in this battle.

Elaborate TAC. Prove to us that you read Kingdom. Lel
Numerical advantages and the ability to make use of his infamous flanking methods, mostly.

This is definitely gonna be a hard fought win for Ousen. Even if Shin and Kyokai are on Duke’s side, with Ou hon and his Unit on Ousen’s side Ousen has slightly higher advantage. Also, Ousen’s vassals has more feats than any of Dukes. Akou could go toe to toe against both Bannaji and Gyou’un (whom can be compared to Duke himself). Duke can put up a good fight with Shin and Kyoukai by his side but ultimately Ousen and Ou hon are gonna emerge victorious.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Okay so I was waiting a bit to comment on this one, and I'm not really going to structure this post in any particular way to explain a conclusion, rather I'm going to list my thoughts in real time and go from there. I think this is a very close matchup. So let's look at this matchup.

In terms of combat strength, the commanders in this matchup go as follows:

1. Kyou Kai (should be able to slay anyone in the Ou Sen Army convincingly)
2. Shin (Yeah I think he's surpassed Ou Hon @Owl Ki )
3. Ou Hon
4. Duke Hyou
5. Akou
6. Makou

etc, with Ou Sen being a wild card though I think optimistically he'll be = to Duke Hyou as a fighter. Even that is up playing him a bit hard quite frankly lol.

In terms of overall ability as Generals/Commanders:

1. Ou Sen
2. Duke Hyou
3. Akou
4. Ou Hon
5. Ma Kou(?)
6. Shin
7. Den Ri Mi

etc, etc, etc

The theme in this matchup being that Duke Hyou has the stronger fighters while the Ou Sen Army has overall more capability in warfare. However, Ou Sen doesn't have any place to retreat to from our understanding of the lay out of the land, and Duke Hyou has shown himself to be capable of overcoming basically any tactician and facing them in a 1v1 fight. If that happens, I think there's a very real chance that Duke Hyou could actually slay Ou Sen early on, but I also think that Ou Sen would sooner retreat or relocate the instant he suspects Duke Hyou will be getting close to him.

I voted for the Ou Sen Army because I feel their commanders are overall more capable, but I could see this war going either way.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
You know, I'm actually going to change my vote to Duke Hyou here. I know his opponent is Ou Sen, but I think Duke Hyou is being underestimated in this thread.

For one, Duke Hyou's Army has the overwhelming martial advantage in this matchup. Duke Hyou has freaking Shin who slayed Hou Ken and fought on par with Gyou'Un, he has Kyou Kai who may as well be the strongest character right now, and ofc Duke Hyou himself who is a savage and beastly warrior in his own right.

Sure Ou Sen has Akou and Ou Hon who are quite strong, but I wouldn't give either of these characters the edge over any of the 3 listed above.

Now, Ou Sen's tactics and strategy are obviously top tier, but I really don't think this matters against Duke Hyou in particular, who's top tier instincts are very unpredictable and can trump top tier strategy as we saw with Riboku. With a force of only 5,000 against 40,000, Duke Hyou was still able to overcome Riboku's Ryoudou, which Riboku was convinced would end Duke Hyou's force of 5,000:

And of course we all know that Ri Boku and Ou Sen have been highlighted as equals in terms of tactics and strategy, and what this likely means is that the Duke is capable of overcoming some of Ou Sen's tactics as well.

And when you add in the Duke's Martial advantage in this fight, I think his Instincts will trump Ou Sen's strategy more often than not.

I vote for the Duke.

@Arara @Topi Jerami @TheAncientCenturion @RayanOO @Patryipe @Yo Tan Wa @Owl Ki @Blackbeard @Xione @Date @NeutralWatcher @Dark Admiral

You know, I'm actually going to change my vote to Duke Hyou here. I know his opponent is Ou Sen, but I think Duke Hyou is being underestimated in this thread.

For one, Duke Hyou's Army has the overwhelming martial advantage in this matchup. Duke Hyou has freaking Shin who slayed Hou Ken and fought on par with Gyou'Un, he has Kyou Kai who may as well be the strongest character right now, and ofc Duke Hyou himself who is a savage and beastly warrior in his own right.

Sure Ou Sen has Akou and Ou Hon who are quite strong, but I wouldn't give either of these characters the edge over any of the 3 listed above.

Now, Ou Sen's tactics and strategy are obviously top tier, but I really don't think this matters against Duke Hyou in particular, who's top tier instincts are very unpredictable and can trump top tier strategy as we saw with Riboku. With a force of only 5,000 against 40,000, Duke Hyou was still able to overcome Riboku's Ryoudou, which Riboku was convinced would end Duke Hyou's force of 5,000:

And of course we all know that Ri Boku and Ou Sen have been highlighted as equals in terms of tactics and strategy, and what this likely means is that the Duke is capable of overcoming some of Ou Sen's tactics as well.

And when you add in the Duke's Martial advantage in this fight, I think his Instincts will trump Ou Sen's strategy more often than not.

I vote for the Duke.

@Arara @Topi Jerami @TheAncientCenturion @RayanOO @Patryipe @Yo Tan Wa @Owl Ki @Blackbeard @Xione @Date @NeutralWatcher @Dark Admiral
The reason Riboku got bested was because he never had faced Duke prior to that battle. After that one single encounter he was able to learn and adapt the ways of instinctual General. And assuming Ousen has a prior knowledge about Duke, it’s easy to say he can outmaneuver him. Shin and Kyoukai can be stopped with Ou’hon and his tactics with the help of some top tiers of Ousen’s Generals.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
The reason Riboku got bested was because he never had faced Duke prior to that battle. After that one single encounter he was able to learn and adapt the ways of instinctual General.
Howso? I recall Riboku saying that Keisha, whom Riboku stated he previously believed to be the most dangerous Instictual General, was not able to decipher the Ryuudou and that Riboku never imagined that there would be someone who could decipher this formation.

(also @Owl Ki this pretty much dismantles the notion of Ryuudou only being effective using a larger force against a smaller one like previously speculated, if Riboku is outright saying he didn't think anyone could actually overcome that formation).

So we have a tactic that Riboku is outright saying he didn't imagine that there would exist anyone who would be able to decipher it...and yet,

We then have Riboku again saying that Duke Hyou surpasses his understanding of Warfare.

Such a thing to say, is far from a small feat, especially when you consider that Hara spent a significant amount of time this arc highlighting Ou Sen and Riboku as equals, with Ou Sen only winning the battle due to the Qin New Gen reaching unprecedented strength and Riboku's subordinates being unable to best them.

I don't recall there being a single point in the Manga where Riboku states that Duke Hyou granted him a new understanding of instinctuals. I only recall Riboku saying that Duke Hyou utterly surpassed his understanding of warfare.

And again, Ou Sen = Riboku as a tactician.

And assuming Ousen has a prior knowledge about Duke, it’s easy to say he can outmaneuver him. Shin and Kyoukai can be stopped with Ou’hon and his tactics with the help of some top tiers of Ousen’s Generals.
How though? Again I reiterate the argument from above, Riboku using a tactic on the Duke that he simply didn't imagine anyone could actually surpass, only to have Duke Hyou actually surpass said tactic. How does this indicate that Ou Sen could out-maneuver the Duke?

Ou Hon is neither stopping current Shin nor current Kyou Kai. Ou Hon is a top 10 character for me in terms of my favorites, and Earl Shi is up there too, but Ou Hon is not capable of stopping Shin who slayed Hou Ken or Kyou Kai who, even while injured, managed to deal greivous blows to Hou Ken which ultimately allowed injured Shin to slay him.

As for the Duke's strength as a warrior, here is the Duke saying that his Blade is more savage than Ou Ki:

Interpret that as you will but I personally think that Duke Hyou is saying that when he exhibits his own "weight," that he believes that his glaive strikes with more ferocity than Ou Ki's did (this is just the Duke's own belief so not necessarily gospel)

And while Ou Hon is quite formiddable, his brute strength is lacking as he was grievously wounded by one glaive swing from Gyou'Un:

And while I think Gyou'Un is a stronger brute than Duke Hyou, Duke Hyou is capable of matching the brute power of Gyou'Un using his savagery and the Weight of a Great General.

I just don't see how Ou Sen wins this when at best he is the Duke's tactical equal while his army has a martial disadvantage in this fight.

Last edited:
Howso? I recall Riboku saying that Keisha, whom Riboku stated he previously believed to be the most dangerous Instictual General, was not able to decipher the Ryuudou and that Riboku never imagined that there would be someone who could decipher this formation.

(also @Owl Ki this pretty much dismantles the notion of Ryuudou only being effective using a larger force against a smaller one like previously speculated, if Riboku is outright saying he didn't think anyone could actually overcome that formation).
I am going to disagree with this. Firstly, all Riboku says is that he did not imagine anyone could conquer it. That does not specifically imply:

I) That there are no prerequisite conditions to which the Ryuudou can only be applied (e.g. a significantly smaller, single attacking force.

II) That the Ryuudou is a technique that Riboku can whip out at anytime, against any numbers, against anyone (he did not use it once during the Battle of Shukai Plains).

What the Ryuudou is, is a trap.
All traps are created for a specific target (or scenario in this case).

Rat traps cannot trap mink, mink traps cannot trap badgers, badger traps cannot trap bears and bear traps cannot trap elephants.

Another way to look at it is this. The Ryuudou works by creating a “current” with which to redirect and essentially control the movements of an attacking force.

However, it can only redirect what it can pull in. If the Ryuudou is a river, then it’s “current” can overwhelm a stream.

Now ask yourself this.

Can the current of a river, overwhelm a tsunami?

If Duke Hyou had charged into Riboku’s rear with an army of 40,000 (i.e. equal to Riboku’s Army) or more then the Ryuudou would not have worked. The tsunami that is Hyou’s charge would have been unstoppable in that scenario.

What Riboku simply means in that panel, is that he never imagined someone would overcome the Ryuudou once they were already trapped in it.

After all, it is impressive when a rat escapes a rat trap. It is not impressive when a bear merely crushes a rat trap underneath it’s foot. :smithnie:

Last edited:
I don't think it will be Easy fight bt Ousen would win more than not. He has most of his Generals in this matchup and they are quite strong, and Ouhon basically cancels out Shin n Kyoukai, given he would trouble Hi Shin Unit with tactics as well strength. And I don't think the difference btween him n Shin is huge, and with superior tactics his side he can engage em or keep em bsy. Only factor that might unbalance this matchup is Kyoukai, bt if she keeps fighting fodders, instead of facing a General like she usually does, she won't be big factor in the big war.
And if they(Young Prodigies) ain't facing each other, they both are going against other subordinate General they would be unstoppable.

Other than em, Ousen forces have stronger Generals, Akou, Sao ou, Shi ryu etc are all capable fighters with Den Ri Mi who is well versed with most strategies. Same for Ma Kou he got slained by Riboku, but Ousen trusted him with left wing, so he should also be good enough.
While I don't remember many of note from Duke Hyou Army, but only the unit that joined Hi Shin Unit, might need to refresh my memory on this one.

Conclusion- Duke Hyou sure would fail many of Ousen n Den Ri Mi strategies, but a tactician always has more options up their sleeves. That's why Riboku wasn't worried even tho he was pushed to wall by Duke Hyou. Ousen is even better at this, by makin his plans through, and escape plans in case if one fails as he showed against Ren Pa, ofcrs battle location mighf not favour him same way in this case, bt that doesn’t limit him makin other plans.

Duke Hyou is indeed epictome of Instinctal General, and what i see Prime Shin to be like. And so he Do have winning chance, since instincts have no limits, it can help bypass any strategies
but for now i feel like Betting on Ousen, due to his strong Generals and Ousen Intelligence. Not to mention he is also capable of being Instinct General, he picked up some skills from Duke Hyou itself, this is why he could easily decode Riboku Hybrid formation and tackle it.

Duke Hyou would win this. The dude is a walking hax/troll. He defeated Gokei who annihilated 90k Qin troops and without Houken, Riboku would've failed.
How would the Duke win? I don't know, no one knows, but he's the Duke. He'll find a way through chaos.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
I hope this recent chapter will help some of you consider voting for the Duke here lol. With Ousen outright confirming that Riboku was the superior tactician between the two, and Duke Hyou clearly proving that he is capable of overcoming even the tactical Godboku,

And with Duke Hyou having the Houken-Slayer Shin and Kyoukai under his command,

I really think there is a very strong case to be made for Duke Hyou winning this.

@Owl Ki @Arara @Topi Jerami @RayanOO @Patryipe @Yo Tan Wa bb @Date @NeutralWatcher @Dark Admiral

OuSen takes this. OuSen has advantage of being a commander who's a brilliant strategist along with understanding of insticts. While Akou, Shiryou, SouOu, Kanjou and OuHon vs Duke, Shin and KyouKai would be pretty difficult for later team.

It's going to pretty difficult one. But if anyone from either Duke, Shin or KK reaches OuSen (like happened against Gokei) than its Duke win for sure. Lol

I hope this recent chapter will help some of you consider voting for the Duke here lol. With Ousen outright confirming that Riboku was the superior tactician between the two, and Duke Hyou clearly proving that he is capable of overcoming even the tactical Godboku,

And with Duke Hyou having the Houken-Slayer Shin and Kyoukai under his command,

I really think there is a very strong case to be made for Duke Hyou winning this.

@Owl Ki @Arara @Topi Jerami @RayanOO @Patryipe @Yo Tan Wa bb @Date @NeutralWatcher @Dark Admiral
OuSen said both of them are equals but during the battle at all fronts and even during face to face confrontation of central battlefield, Riboku lost at every front even though he got few advantages. OuSen gave credit to young trio but there wasn't any fault in his strategy comparing to Riboku. Only problem was that he was short of commanders/generals in comparison to Riboku that's why he couldn't help either wings, while Riboku got enough supply of commanders. Lol

Riboku just beat OuSen twice, first in initial combat by removing Makao and second during destroying Akou formation and removing him through Banaji. But OuSen on the other hand not just beat him in central battle but also didn't let him help Gyou through anyway even when he learnt about Gyou losing its food storage on 14th night.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
OuSen takes this. OuSen has advantage of being a commander who's a brilliant strategist along with understanding of insticts. While Akou, Shiryou, SouOu, Kanjou and OuHon vs Duke, Shin and KyouKai would be pretty difficult for later team.

It's going to pretty difficult one. But if anyone from either Duke, Shin or KK reaches OuSen (like happened against Gokei) than its Duke win for sure. Lol

OuSen said both of them are equals but during the battle at all fronts and even during face to face confrontation of central battlefield, Riboku lost at every front even though he got few advantages. OuSen gave credit to young trio but there wasn't any fault in his strategy comparing to Riboku. Only problem was that he was short of commanders/generals in comparison to Riboku that's why he couldn't help either wings, while Riboku got enough supply of commanders. Lol

Riboku just beat OuSen twice, first in initial combat by removing Makao and second during destroying Akou formation and removing him through Banaji. But OuSen on the other hand not just beat him in central battle but also didn't let him help Gyou through anyway even when he learnt about Gyou losing its food storage on 14th night.
I would post panels explaining why but I’m on mobile lol. But basically, this is wrong.

Riboku slayed Makou on day 1 of the battle which was effectively a deathblow that Ousen had 0 answer to. It was Mouten who saved the left wing, with no assistance from ousen whatsoever. Advantage Riboku.

Riboku dismantled Akou’s shell formation, which again ousen had no answer to (granted Riboku had Banaji do all the actual work but still, tactically it was Riboku’ Win and Ousen’s loss). This situation was again salvaged by Ouhon and Shin (though ousen gets partial credit because he deliberately tried to force their awakening.)

In the center, Ousen and Riboku were straight up equals tactically, Ousen did not win that battle. The only reason that the center went to ousen was because Shin slayed Houken. Ousen had nothing to do with that aside from ordering the pincer, which Riboku did also,

I would post panels explaining why but I’m on mobile lol. But basically, this is wrong.
Riboku slayed Makou on day 1 of the battle which was effectively a deathblow that Ousen had 0 answer to. It was Mouten who saved the left wing, with no assistance from ousen whatsoever. Advantage Riboku.
Here :

OuSen said both were equals but he gave edge to Riboku only coz it was OuSen's army got first two blows while he failed when Shin left Kisui and charged on Riboku on his own. But its contradicting as first of all strategies implemented by both of them were similar or you could say OuSen was again better and that's for two reasons :
- OuSen set bait by deploying only 5k in the beginning at left wing and later destroying Zhao army through wave attacks.
- OuSen's orders for Shin was to slay Kisui and former nearly achieved his goal but he saw Riboku and dropped his target so that he could slay Riboku and end this war. Lol

Imagine if Shin hadn't gone for Riboku and killed Kisui there than even after Makao's death, MouTen would've destroyed Kisui army. Coz it largely consists of Rigan army which could fight only if they got to see Kisui even though MouTen used Makao army through fake news but it would difficult to imagine same actions from anyone in Kisui army.

So there weren't any flaw or inferiority in OuSen's tactic. It was far better than Riboku's plan. If shin would've sticked to his orders than Qin left would've attacked Zhao's centre on day 1.
Riboku dismantled Akou’s shell formation, which again ousen had no answer to (granted Riboku had Banaji do all the actual work but still, tactically it was Riboku’ Win and Ousen’s loss).
OuSen didn't either give him orders to use this formation nor he helped Akou when Banaji destroyed it. Akou used it on his own, actually copied it. Riboku even believed that it could get evolved or use with different tactics as well (but that's might be when OuSen implemented it). OuSen couldn't leave his spot nor Akou. Both of them didn't had such privilege due to pressure and lack of experienced commanders. But Banaji did when Riboku called him to give solution about breaching that formation.

In the center, Ousen and Riboku were straight up equals tactically, Ousen did not win that battle. The only reason that the center went to ousen was because Shin slayed Houken. Ousen had nothing to do with that aside from ordering the pincer, which Riboku did also,
Nahh bro. Initially Riboku had advantage by surprise use of insticts but later OuSen countered it with his tactics and later OuSen destroyed Riboku's best crane formation and went on offence which couldn't be stopped. Later Riboku first loses a Earl brother than Kinmou. That's where momentum shifted in favour of OuSen. Riboku just couldn't counter OuSen's strategies even once or uses his defence formation to either stop SouOu's advance from left or Shin's advance in the right.

Here :

OuSen said both were equals but he gave edge to Riboku only coz it was OuSen's army got first two blows while he failed when Shin left Kisui and charged on Riboku on his own. But its contradicting as first of all strategies implemented by both of them were similar or you could say OuSen was again better and that's for two reasons :
- OuSen set bait by deploying only 5k in the beginning at left wing and later destroying Zhao army through wave attacks.
- OuSen's orders for Shin was to slay Kisui and former nearly achieved his goal but he saw Riboku and dropped his target so that he could slay Riboku and end this war. Lol

Imagine if Shin hadn't gone for Riboku and killed Kisui there than even after Makao's death, MouTen would've destroyed Kisui army. Coz it largely consists of Rigan army which could fight only if they got to see Kisui even though MouTen used Makao army through fake news but it would difficult to imagine same actions from anyone in Kisui army.

So there weren't any flaw or inferiority in OuSen's tactic. It was far better than Riboku's plan. If shin would've sticked to his orders than Qin left would've attacked Zhao's centre on day 1.

OuSen didn't either give him orders to use this formation nor he helped Akou when Banaji destroyed it. Akou used it on his own, actually copied it. Riboku even believed that it could get evolved or use with different tactics as well (but that's might be when OuSen implemented it). OuSen couldn't leave his spot nor Akou. Both of them didn't had such privilege due to pressure and lack of experienced commanders. But Banaji did when Riboku called him to give solution about breaching that formation.

Nahh bro. Initially Riboku had advantage by surprise use of insticts but later OuSen countered it with his tactics and later OuSen destroyed Riboku's best crane formation and went on offence which couldn't be stopped. Later Riboku first loses a Earl brother than Kinmou. That's where momentum shifted in favour of OuSen. Riboku just couldn't counter OuSen's strategies even once or uses his defence formation to either stop SouOu's advance from left or Shin's advance in the right.
Issues with what you're saying regarding Ousen - Riboku's day 1.

1. The strategy of Shin taking Kisui's head wasn't as simple as "go and take Kisui's head shin", it relied on the existance of Makou army performing well.
2. Everything was going on point, until Riboku took down Makou, at that point Makou army was in disarray and easily getting killed.. had that been left uncheck, Qin would've lost the war in day 1.
3. Shin actually instinctually made the correct choice, in going after Riboku. Had he succeeded that is. He never would've been able to get to Kisui in time, as Kisui was putting more forces in front of him. The Morale boost that the Zhao army got from the announcement of Riboku slaying Makou was holding up the HSU back.

4. The Shin-Riboku thing was merely couple of minutes, those minutes instead of chasing after Riboku would've been spent on being held up by the Zhao army before they could reach Kisui..

5. Now if he still continued focusing on Kisui despite the HSU now facing a morale boosted Zhao army, the Makou army would've been fucked over.. and Kisui would've just found the opportunity to escape thanks to that.

6. That's also why Mouten, who was nearing to kill Kisui, decided not to go after him but instead seek out Shin to go help with the Makou army. Because the Makou army took priority over Kisui.

So no Shin is not at fault here for Ousen's strategy falling. Ousen's strategy was fucked over by Riboku the moment he slew Makou. Now thanks to Mouten's growth there, the blow wasn't as decisive as Riboku had hoped.

As for Riboku having an advantage because he used intinctual part of him first.. uh bro, you do know Ousen is also capable of using it right? Ousen not using it before Riboku to out do him is on Ousen. Furthermore, after that moment both of the armies were at a stalemate, meaning neither was making progress aka a draw.. which is contradictory to your claim of Ousen's army being unstoppable. It's not until the HSU came in to hit Riboku that Ousen got the advantage again, but Riboku countered this by his own tactics where he had him pincered with Bananji & Futei, as planned by Riboku himself. This pretty much had sealed the deal as far as Ousen was concerned.. until Ouhon due to his own brain (no part to any strategy by Ousen) came in to save him.

This right here is what saved the Qin army from Shukai plains from getting killed:

Last edited:
Riboku dismantled Akou’s shell formation, which again ousen had no answer to (granted Riboku had Banaji do all the actual work but still, tactically it was Riboku’ Win and Ousen’s loss). This situation was again salvaged by Ouhon and Shin (though ousen gets partial credit because he deliberately tried to force their awakening.)
He gets partial credit from that partial credit, since he only foresaw HSU's awakening and not Ouhon's.:josad: