Theory How Big Mom will be “defeated” in the Wano Arc

Hello Everyone,

I'm new in this community and would like to share a theory I've had for awhile.

Long post ahead

First of all, I’m a major believer in the speculation that both Big Mom and Kaido will fall during the Wano Arc. A lot of people like to think the Strawhat Pirates will have another Arc with Big Mom during Elbaf, but I don’t really see that as being the case. Whether this belief is right or wrong, we will only really know once Wano wraps up. In this post I’ll explain why I think it makes sense for Big Mom to suffer a “defeat” in this Arc and the specific themes and plot threads alluding to it. I won’t have a concrete or specific theory as to “how” exactly it will play out, but I’m drawing my conclusions from what has been left hanging with Big Mom’s own character arc so far.

Topic 1: Why Big Mom doesn’t need another Arc

If you’re a fan of Mr Morj’s videos, I believe he already covered several points why he thinks Big Mom doesn’t need another major arc of his own, however, I will try to add some of my thoughts into this as well.
  1. The Big Bad of Wano: With the reveal of Kaido and Big Mom’s alliance, people are certainly free to say that Wano has two Big Bads. Kaido and Big Mom are obviously the strongest beings in Wano right now and they are both antagonistic towards the SH Pirates. Thematically speaking however, Big Mom does not fit the bill of Wano’s final boss. The major themes, history, character arcs and plot threads surrounding the Wano Arc all revolve around Kaido. Sure, Orochi needs to be beaten too, but his rule/power rests solely on the fact that no one can challenge it because of Kaido. Basically, defeating Kaido is the biggest breakthrough the hero’s need to resolve the issues of the Arc. Big Mom being in the final battle, does not carry that kind of weight. Yes, it will be monumental for the alliance if they defeat Big Mom as well, but her being part of the final battle or finishing blow does not makes sense in the greater scheme of the Wano Arc, so while Big Mom will be there during the final act, the Big Boss and final crucial battle is most definitely going to be with Kaido alone.
  2. Big Mom’s own story arc: While the point above touched upon why Big Mom will not be the final boss, as I mentioned she will definitely be part of the final act. Big Mom will be part of Wano since story-wise, there is no more need for another Big Mom centric arc. Whole Cake Island already served that purpose. Her crew, motivations, and character traits have mostly been fleshed out and I frankly can’t see 1v1s for the whole SH Pirate crew against the Big Mom crew. Basically, going back to Big Mom after Wano/Kaido feels like a repeat of an Arc that’s already passed and doing that in no way moves the overarching story of One Piece forward. Wano's been giving us game changing reveals, promising massive payoffs for the readers moving forward and spending another 1-2 years solely with a Big Mom centric arc will feel like a step backward.
  3. Sorting algorithm of Evil: You might want to read up on this in TV Tropes, but the gist is that for there to be consistent drama in a long running series, the threat level needs to keep rising. In other words, the Big Bads have to keep getting bigger and badder, every time. This is why threat level of East Blue pales in comparison to the Shichibukai Crocodile, Crocodile pales in comparison to Enel, Enel pales in comparison to Doflamingo and Doflamingo pales in comparison to Katakuri. The only two times that this really didn’t pan out was with Rob Lucci and Moria. Enel may have been a bigger threat than Lucci in sheer destructive power, however because of Luffy’s Devil Fruit being his natural weakness, he was a relatively easier foe to beat than Rob Lucci. For Moria’s case he was definitely a step down, but that was ok because the Thriller Bark Arc was not about Luffy vs Moria. The themes of that Arc revolved around the value of loyal and trusted comrades. Following this pattern, once the alliance or Luffy himself defeats Kaido, he will be an unquestionable super power in the New World. Kaido is literally “The Strongest Creature”. While this does not necessarily beating Kaido will make Luffy the new strongest man, he will definitely be in a place where no one will ever question his title as an emperor. While Big Mom is one of the strongest characters in the series, she does not hold the title of “The strongest Creature”, and the SH crew going after Big Mom after Wano does not raise the stakes.
Topic 2: “How” Big Mom will be “defeated” in Wano
Now you may be wondering “What’s with all the quotation marks?”. The reason I’m writing it that way is because 1. I don’t have a specific vision of what will happen with Big Mom, and 2. (And this is the big one) I don’t believe Big Mom will be defeated in Wano in the traditional sense of the word.

1. Wano’s Theme: Now while I did say earlier that beating Big Mom does not carry as much weight as beating Kaido in the final battle, Big Mom’s presence and defeat could still highlight 2 minor themes in Wano: Taming Beasts and Breaking Spirits. As we all know, Big Mom is like an overgrown, overpowered child whose tantrums are uncontrollable. She’s like a wild beast that no one can ever tame. The only way to put a stop to Big Mom’s fits is by giving her whatever food she desires at that moment. We’ve seen this in action in what her children describes as her most unstoppable fit so far during the Whole Cake Island Arc. That rampage was only stopped by the most delicious cake she has ever tasted in her life, a cake so delicious she could die. So sweet she broke out in song. At that moment, the wild beast was tamed by how delicious this cake was, a cake who Big Mom and her children think was made by Pudding when in truth it was primarily made by Sanji. Sanji’s cake left her so satisfied she momentarily forgot about the events of the wedding and missed out on capturing the Straw hat crew (Chapter 901-902).
  2. Big Mom’s backstory and hanging plot threads: Before I proceed, let me clear up what I mean by getting “defeated”. While Big Mom will get into a fight, I don’t think that she will be beaten by pure might. What I think will happen is either Big Mom getting subdued, has her spirit broken or at the very least, end her quarrel with the Straw hat crew and leave Wano. Who knows maybe during this moment, Fishman Island also gets set free from her rule. I don’t know which of those 3 scenarios will happen, but I do know of significant plot threads left hanging that could give us a clue.
    1. As we’ve seen with the Whole Cake Island Arc, Oda planted the necessary plot devices he needed as “get out of jail free cards” for the SH crew to escape Big Mom’s territory. Things like the Tamatebakko, Sulong form, Jinbei’s presence, etc. where all utilized. Now while Sanji baking the cake was both a highlight of his character and another escape tool for the arc, there’s no reason this very cake can’t also be used as a plot device in Wano. As I see it, this is one of three plot devices that could be used to “defeat” Big Mom. Imagine Big Mom, discovering that the most delicious cake she has ever tasted in her life belonged to a member of the crew she is after. How would she react? She would most likely want to take Sanji as part of her own crew… but that would end up being a Whole Cake Island Arc part 2 scenario. Herein lies the second significant hanging plot thread for Big Mom: her amnesia.
    2. Think about it, the monstrously selfish glutton Big Mom went on a rampage in Udon because there was no more Oshiruko, only this time she was going wild not because she wanted the Oshiruko for herself, but because she wanted to repay the debt she owed to the people of Okobore town. She was angry because she wanted to share the food. This is the same person, who would give no qualms to taking away the lifespans of her sons and daughters during her fits of gluttony. Sure, this was during a time where she didn’t remember who she was, but another way of looking at it is this was Big Mom, reverting to who she was before being turned to piracy. Big Mom, the kind-hearted kid.
    3. This is the 3rd hanging plot thread for Big Mom: her past. If we go back to Big Mom’s past, we see that Big Mom was a helpful, kind hearted kid who only wanted to help. Unfortunately, she has no control over her strength and her urges, both traits that were used to manipulate Big Mom by Mother Carmel and Streusen. Although it was never explicitly shown, we are aware that Big Mom in her fit of gluttony, cannibalized Mother Carmel and the other children. While it seems like she doesn’t remember how it happened, we see that Big Mom even until now, is mentally scarred to the point that breaking Mother Carmel’s photo will make her enter a Psychological breakdown, crying for Carmel to return. Her history and mental instability could have been one of the reasons why she had a temporary amnesia and why, during her amnesiac state, she reverts back to her original kind-hearted self.
What if, instead of a portrait of Mother Carmel, something else could be done to tip her already unstable psyche to completely break? What if doing so would make Big Mom remember memories that she didn’t know she had? Memories of her eating her friends and her beloved Mother Carmel? What if the key, was Semla? Semla so tasty it reminds her of that day. Semla that only Sanji, much like the wedding cake, could make?

And so, after all these points and build up, here is my Theory: Sanji will be a pivotal character in either breaking Big Mom’s spirit or taming her with his cooking. Whether it be Semla or something else, it would be something that resolves these hanging plot threads in Big Mom’s character and her psyche and will result in her not being a part of Wano’s final battle.

P.S. I'm at work and I couldn't concentrate with this in my head so I had to share it somehow. Sorry for the long post and thanks you for taking the time to read. Let me know your thoughts :)

Hello Everyone,

Long post ahead

First of all, I’m a major believer in the speculation that both Big Mom and Kaido will fall during the Wano Arc. A lot of people like to think the Strawhat Pirates will have another Arc with Big Mom during Elbaf, but I don’t really see that as being the case. Whether this belief is right or wrong, we will only really know once Wano wraps up. In this post I’ll explain why I think it makes sense for Big Mom to suffer a “defeat” in this Arc and the specific themes and plot threads alluding to it. I won’t have a concrete or specific theory as to “how” exactly it will play out, but I’m drawing my conclusions from what has been left hanging with Big Mom’s own character arc so far.

If you’re a fan of Mr Morj’s videos, I believe he already covered several points why he thinks Big Mom doesn’t need another major arc of his own, however, I will try to add some of my thoughts into this as well.
  1. The Big Bad of Wano: With the reveal of Kaido and Big Mom’s alliance, people are certainly free to say that Wano has two Big Bads. Kaido and Big Mom are obviously the strongest beings in Wano right now and they are both antagonistic towards the SH Pirates. Thematically speaking however, Big Mom does not fit the bill of Wano’s final boss. The major themes, history, character arcs and plot threads surrounding the Wano Arc all revolve around Kaido. Sure, Orochi needs to be beaten too, but his rule/power rests solely on the fact that no one can challenge it because of Kaido. Basically, defeating Kaido is the biggest breakthrough the hero’s need to resolve the issues of the Arc. Big Mom being in the final battle, does not carry that kind of weight. Yes, it will be monumental for the alliance if they defeat Big Mom as well, but her being part of the final battle or finishing blow does not makes sense in the greater scheme of the Wano Arc, so while Big Mom will be there during the final act, the Big Boss and final crucial battle is most definitely going to be with Kaido alone.
  2. Big Mom’s own story arc: While the point above touched upon why Big Mom will not be the final boss, as I mentioned she will definitely be part of the final act. Big Mom will be part of Wano since story-wise, there is no more need for another Big Mom centric arc. Whole Cake Island already served that purpose. Her crew, motivations, and character traits have mostly been fleshed out and I frankly can’t see 1v1s for the whole SH Pirate crew against the Big Mom crew. Basically, going back to Big Mom after Wano/Kaido feels like a repeat of an Arc that’s already passed and doing that in no way moves the overarching story of One Piece forward. Wano's been giving us game changing reveals, promising massive payoffs for the readers moving forward and spending another 1-2 years solely with a Big Mom centric arc will feel like a step backward.
  3. Sorting algorithm of Evil: You might want to read up on this in TV Tropes, but the gist is that for there to be consistent drama in a long running series, the threat level needs to keep rising. In other words, the Big Bads have to keep getting bigger and badder, every time. This is why threat level of East Blue pales in comparison to the Shichibukai Crocodile, Crocodile pales in comparison to Enel, Enel pales in comparison to Doflamingo and Doflamingo pales in comparison to Katakuri. The only two times that this really didn’t pan out was with Rob Lucci and Moria. Enel may have been a bigger threat than Lucci in sheer destructive power, however because of Luffy’s Devil Fruit being his natural weakness, he was a relatively easier foe to beat than Rob Lucci. For Moria’s case he was definitely a step down, but that was ok because the Thriller Bark Arc was not about Luffy vs Moria. The themes of that Arc revolved around the value of loyal and trusted comrades. Following this pattern, once the alliance or Luffy himself defeats Kaido, he will be an unquestionable super power in the New World. Kaido is literally “The Strongest Creature”. While this does not necessarily beating Kaido will make Luffy the new strongest man, he will definitely be in a place where no one will ever question his title as an emperor. While Big Mom is one of the strongest characters in the series, she does not hold the title of “The strongest Creature”, and the SH crew going after Big Mom after Wano does not raise the stakes.
Now you may be wondering “What’s with all the quotation marks?”. The reason I’m writing it that way is because 1. I don’t have a specific vision of what will happen with Big Mom, and 2. (And this is the big one) I don’t believe Big Mom will be defeated in Wano in the traditional sense of the word.

1. Wano’s Theme: Now while I did say earlier that beating Big Mom does not carry as much weight as beating Kaido in the final battle, Big Mom’s presence and defeat could still highlight 2 minor themes in Wano: Taming Beasts and Breaking Spirits. As we all know, Big Mom is like an overgrown, overpowered child whose tantrums are uncontrollable. She’s like a wild beast that no one can ever tame. The only way to put a stop to Big Mom’s fits is by giving her whatever food she desires at that moment. We’ve seen this in action in what her children describes as her most unstoppable fit so far during the Whole Cake Island Arc. That rampage was only stopped by the most delicious cake she has ever tasted in her life, a cake so delicious she could die. So sweet she broke out in song. At that moment, the wild beast was tamed by how delicious this cake was, a cake who Big Mom and her children think was made by Pudding when in truth it was primarily made by Sanji. Sanji’s cake left her so satisfied she momentarily forgot about the events of the wedding and missed out on capturing the Straw hat crew (Chapter 901-902).
  2. Big Mom’s backstory and hanging plot threads: Before I proceed, let me clear up what I mean by getting “defeated”. While Big Mom will get into a fight, I don’t think that she will be beaten by pure might. What I think will happen is either Big Mom getting subdued, has her spirit broken or at the very least, end her quarrel with the Straw hat crew and leave Wano. Who knows maybe during this moment, Fishman Island also gets set free from her rule. I don’t know which of those 3 scenarios will happen, but I do know of significant plot threads left hanging that could give us a clue.
    1. As we’ve seen with the Whole Cake Island Arc, Oda planted the necessary plot devices he needed as “get out of jail free cards” for the SH crew to escape Big Mom’s territory. Things like the Tamatebakko, Sulong form, Jinbei’s presence, etc. where all utilized. Now while Sanji baking the cake was both a highlight of his character and another escape tool for the arc, there’s no reason this very cake can’t also be used as a plot device in Wano. As I see it, this is one of three plot devices that could be used to “defeat” Big Mom. Imagine Big Mom, discovering that the most delicious cake she has ever tasted in her life belonged to a member of the crew she is after. How would she react? She would most likely want to take Sanji as part of her own crew… but that would end up being a Whole Cake Island Arc part 2 scenario. Herein lies the second significant hanging plot thread for Big Mom: her amnesia.
    2. Think about it, the monstrously selfish glutton Big Mom went on a rampage in Udon because there was no more Oshiruko, only this time she was going wild not because she wanted the Oshiruko for herself, but because she wanted to repay the debt she owed to the people of Okobore town. She was angry because she wanted to share the food. This is the same person, who would give no qualms to taking away the lifespans of her sons and daughters during her fits of gluttony. Sure, this was during a time where she didn’t remember who she was, but another way of looking at it is this was Big Mom, reverting to who she was before being turned to piracy. Big Mom, the kind-hearted kid.
    3. This is the 3rd hanging plot thread for Big Mom: her past. If we go back to Big Mom’s past, we see that Big Mom was a helpful, kind hearted kid who only wanted to help. Unfortunately, she has no control over her strength and her urges, both traits that were used to manipulate Big Mom by Mother Carmel and Streusen. Although it was never explicitly shown, we are aware that Big Mom in her fit of gluttony, cannibalized Mother Carmel and the other children. While it seems like she doesn’t remember how it happened, we see that Big Mom even until now, is mentally scarred to the point that breaking Mother Carmel’s photo will make her enter a Psychological breakdown, crying for Carmel to return. Her history and mental instability could have been one of the reasons why she had a temporary amnesia and why, during her amnesiac state, she reverts back to her original kind-hearted self.
What if, instead of a portrait of Mother Carmel, something else could be done to tip her already unstable psyche to completely break? What if doing so would make Big Mom remember memories that she didn’t know she had? Memories of her eating her friends and her beloved Mother Carmel? What if the key, was Semla? Semla so tasty it reminds her of that day. Semla that only Sanji, much like the wedding cake, could make?

And so, after all these points and build up, here is my Theory: Sanji will be a pivotal character in either breaking Big Mom’s spirit or taming her with his cooking. Whether it be Semla or something else, it would be something that resolves these hanging plot threads in Big Mom’s character and her psyche and will result in her not being a part of Wano’s final battle.

P.S. I'm at work and I couldn't concentrate with this in my head so I had to share it somehow. Sorry for the long post and thanks you for taking the time to read. Let me know your thoughts :)
Great theory and I'm totally on board with this. Deserves more attention.

Hello Everyone,

Long post ahead

Wasnt thinking about sanji but more chopper helping her, he already has shown interest in her state during wci, was the first to interract with her when she was amnesiac, and also the first one she sees in onigashima. To me, he will somehow make her regain her memories of back then and cure her of it. And she will help against kaido. I garantee it.