Questions & Mysteries How did Ace know Luffy's family?

In Impel Down, Ace stated in referring to he and Luffy, “We both have the blood of world class criminals running through our veins.”

But how did Ace know about Dragon? Dragons family name and heritage was such a secret only 3 people knew without Luffy saying it: Garp (Luffys Grandpa), Sengoku (Garps lifelong friend), and Kuma (Dragons right hand)

So how did Ace know? It’s not like Luffy told him since Luffy didn’t even know. I can’t imagine Garp saying “You think you’re bad, Luffys dad is the worlds worst criminal of this era.” And Sengoku has no reason to tell him.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
OT: Garp probably told him for whatever reason.

Honestly, people not recognizing Luffy's family name makes no sense in hindsight. How many people are named Monkey D. exactly? It should be inferred that he's related to Dragon and/or Garp. They're both world famous after all.
I don't think many people knew Dragon's last name until it was revealed at MF.

Yeah I just found it. Still weird that the World Government had no idea. Big Meme's intelligence network was good enough to find out about Sanji and Zeff but a global government that controls nearly the entire world didn't know about Dragon? Did Garp just never record the birth of his son? Hopefully Oda will explain in Dragon's backstory. :feelsokeman: