Questions & Mysteries How Did Doflamingo Acquire the Mera Mera no Mi?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
We all know both how Ace lost it at Marineford and that Doffy gained possession of it before Dressrosa, but how did it end up in his clutches at all? The manga never explicitly addresses this, so I thought it would be fun to speculate.

The way I see it, there are at least two likely possibilities:
1. The fruit regenerated within a certain range of the spot where Akainu brought its user down, and nobody left behind was concerned with searching for it...except a man who loves gathering intelligence as well as influence just in case he needs to crush someone by means physical or psychological. Knowing the nature of Devil Fruits, he lingered after he and the Pacifistas failed to off Moriah and located the fruit, hanging on to it after showing an interest in Luffy’s trajectory.
2. Either the fruit DIDN’T regenerate right in Marineford and spirited away to infect an orange in another land, or someone other than Doffy who was involved in the war picked it up first; however this happened, it eventually ended up on the black market in the Underworld, and he found it there through illicit means.

What do the rest of y’all think?

Last edited:

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
I've always assumed the World Government had fruits on stand by to collect any after the war, and that's how they acquired the mera—mera. Considering Doflamingo's growing importance in the New World, both for pirates and the World Government, it wouldn't surprise me if they agreed to give Doffy this fruit alongside whenever Cipher-Pol Aegis Zero visited.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
I wonder how many Japanese readers have sent him this question only to pick up a new volume and see another installment of Here’s All the Favorite Foods of Secondary Characters Most People Don’t Remember.
Japanese as culture usually love lectures over Internet so tons of them hahaha