General & Others How would you make Zoro a better character?

Is Zoro a well written character? (For OP Standards)

• Total voters

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Zoro is a pretty split issue on Worst Gen. at the moment. We have plenty of fans of his, plenty of people who don't like Zoro and a few like myself who are fond of him but don't talk too much about Zoro overall. Much like @Light D Lamperouge's thread, this is about how you would improve Zoro throughout One Piece. Whether or not you think he's a good character already, I'm sure you think there's room for improvement, missed opportunities, et cetera.

This is not a power level thread and shouldn't sustain lengthy discussions on Zoro's strength. If you think making him weaker or stronger would help his character, fine, but don't get tugged into the argument that he's above XYZ character or below ABC.

My own thoughts:

Apart from Luffy, I can't remember Zoro interacting much with anyone after the time skip. He seems to always get shoved off to the side plots so other characters can grab the attention. We don't get to see Zoro having fun with the crew, drinking around with Nami or buddying up with Chopper (Zoro is his idol). I'd make it so that Zoro shows more open interest (not just concern) for his crew and engages them / goes about showing them what he's learned over the time skip, not just swordsmanship but things he's picked up from Mihawk and Perona. Likewise, I would've had more conversations between Momo and Zoro, with Zoro on-screen showing him a bit of what he's learned / hint at his obvious Wano origins.

Some tags:
@Light D Lamperouge @HA001 @stormylife @Admiral Lee Hung @Owl Ki @Jiihad @ZenZu @Beerbottle @Erkan12 @True God Moe @Topi Jerami @Jo_Ndule @Den_Den_Mushi @wordyworm @Chrono

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Make him move around and sit
You can't raise perfection, just spread it.
If he has to have a mouth sword, make it double-bladed
I'd like serious replies, not the usual garbage.
I think Zoro is changed after time-skip, and he is more like Mihawk right now, which is not a good thing. Soon, he will get better after we get rid of Mihawk for good, and we can finally see old Zoro who was different before Mihawk's training.
I'm fine with Zoro copying some of Mihawk's mannerisms (and vice versa). But I do agree, he feels more like an action movie star waiting to fire off cool one-liners instead of the affable guy we knew before the time skip. It's like with a lot of the SH's, Oda turned up their biggest quality to 11.

Let him fight someone actually noteworthy. His best accomplishment is freaking Pica. That little Coward. And he fainted against Kamazou. Lmao....Ok imma try my best to stay objective:usoprice:

Since fighting is what defines his character. I think he deserves a fight thats worth more than 1 chapter. Luffy....that has muliple themes and not mostly defined by combat has had a fight that lasted 15 chapters. Whilst Oda cant give Zoro at the very least 3 chapters ???

To add to this...Zoro has literally no charisma or likability. Unlike Luffy and Sanji he has never been the type to sway people or lead people. I guess he is his own character. If Oda writed him like a lone wolf then so be it. But however neglecting him from having any meaningful interactions with the SHs post timeskip isnt really good. It makes us the readers feel less connected to Zoro, as he is seemlingly feeling more like a badass important side character ( Wiper?) than part of the main cast. Take Sanji for example, his interactions with the rest crew are still fun, wholesome and just adds more to his character. It shows he has a family to look after. Whereas Zoro always seeminly disappears from them at every place, and is only ever happy with Luffy. What happened to Zoro that used to always hang with Chopper and Usopp. Fight with Sanji and Nami. And chill with Robin.

Then we have his relationship with Hiyori, that is purely forced. Just because Luffy and Sanji get female fangirls...doesnt mean Zoro has to. Ok if it was because he won her over with his personality ok then. However Hiyori is just forced to constantly follow him around and crush all over him. He shows her barely any kindness ( like Luffy did for Hancock) or affection ( like Sanji did for Hiyori). How are we meant to buy into this relationship ?

To top it all off his character is lacking any actual moments other than his badass oneliners. Using Sanji for example here. Sanji post timeskip has always had these moments, not combat related that added to his character.

- FI: Blames Jinbe for everything that happened to Nami and demands he aplogies to her
- PH: Sanji befriends Kinemon and makes Kinemon see that not all pirates are bad and evil.
- DR: Sanji sways Viola and shows that he is a good guy and that she can trust in him.

( Not using Zou and WCI)

Of course Wano is ongoing. So we wait.

But like Sanji has these important like moments other than the fight that defines his character. Luffy does as well. Zoro doesnt have any or I feel he doesnt. He doesnt add to the story till the fights come rolling. PH is a perfect example as Sanji and Zoro are both in the same team....yet it is Sanji that is the one saving Kinemon and making him join their side. Sanji is the one that Oda feels he can do more with his character. However not much for Zoro. Its like when it comes to anything that isnt combat, he isnt a character that is flexible much.

In Zou, sure Zoro had that speech. But did it really add much to the plot of Zou. Just was an information piece thats all. And for the rest of Zou he remains invisible.

I dont blame Zoro, this is all Oda's fault for failing Zoro. Pre timeskip Zoro did way more.

I know I will get a lot of hate. But oh well....:kayneshrug:

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
My one issue with Zoro post timeskip is how stagnant his character has been. Oda still provides him with the cool highlights here and there, but he lacks those really strong character moments he once had pretimeskip. I think back on all of Zoro's best moments, almost all the ones people list are from pretimeskip. And while he has it way better than a lot of the other Strawhats, I can't help feeling he's one such character that's been neglected and is currently coasting off his character arc pretimeskip.

Even in Wano, an arc which has seen more development in Zoro than the last few, it feels like the things Oda established for his arc he's chosen to walk back on.

-Shusui and Ryuma connection
-His relationship with Yasu
-Hatred for Orochi
-Sunnachi
-His connection with the Shimotsuki

They all appear thrown aside after the big chapter 955. Zoro's back to his default state, with no indication to his previously developed plotlines besides the fact they provided him Enma in some fashion. Of course, Wano isn't over, so I don't want to completely rule out their continued developments. But with how much has to get done and how much of it can get focus, I'm not confident in these particular bits getting further emphasis. With Shusui/Ryuma, best I see a short moment between Zoro and Ryuma's grave by the end of the arc. The others, I've little hopes on being followed up. All he went through was to just get him a new sword, and now that he has it, no need to further focus on them.

Still though, my favorite Zoro moment in all of Post timeskip is easily when he encountered Yasu and the people of Ebisu. Always good to see a tough guy shed that persona, even for just a bit, and reveal a good, human heart. A sweet reminder Zoro's more than some catch phrase spewing, deadly badass. Even if he doesn't get much focus later in the arc, a good moment like this is all I need.

Sorry if this wasn't exactly me providing how to make Zoro a better character. Just airing out some of my personal grievances with it.

Last edited:

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Give Zoro back his mischievous side and sense of humor.

Zoro used to think Luffy and Nami's bickering was hilarious and trolled the Usopp Gang(a group of kids) into thinking they cannibalized Usopp. Zoro even broke down laughing when the Usopp Gang assumed it was Nami who cannibalized Usopp. Or how about when Zoro did that random Tarzan yell while swinging on a vine in Skypia?

He's just ultra-serious with no humor nowadays.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman

Zoro used to think Luffy and Nami'a bickering was hilarious and trolled the Usopp Gang(a group of kids) into thinking they cannibalized Usopp. Zoro when broke down laughing when the Usopp Gang assumed it was Nami who cannibalized Usopp. Or how about when Zoro did that random Tarzan yell while swinging on a vine in Skypia?

But that stopped with the seriousness of kuma and sabody. Its understandable to a point.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Let him fight someone actually noteworthy. His best accomplishment is freaking Pica. That little Coward. And he fainted against Kamazou. Lmao....Ok imma try my best to stay objective:usoprice:

Since fighting is what defines his character. I think he deserves a fight thats worth more than 1 chapter. Luffy....that has muliple themes and not mostly defined by combat has had a fight that lasted 15 chapters. Whilst Oda cant give Zoro at the very least 3 chapters ???

To add to this...Zoro has literally no charisma or likability. Unlike Luffy and Sanji he has never been the type to sway people or lead people. I guess he is his own character. If Oda writed him like a lone wolf then so be it. But however neglecting him from having any meaningful interactions with the SHs post timeskip isnt really good. It makes us the readers feel less connected to Zoro, as he is seemlingly feeling more like a badass important side character ( Wiper?) than part of the main cast. Take Sanji for example, his interactions with the rest crew are still fun, wholesome and just adds more to his character. It shows he has a family to look after. Whereas Zoro always seeminly disappears from them at every place, and is only ever happy with Luffy. What happened to Zoro that used to always hang with Chopper and Usopp. Fight with Sanji and Nami. And chill with Robin.

Then we have his relationship with Hiyori, that is purely forced. Just because Luffy and Sanji get female fangirls...doesnt mean Zoro has to. Ok if it was because he won her over with his personality ok then. However Hiyori is just forced to constantly follow him around and crush all over him. He shows her barely any kindness ( like Luffy did for Hancock) or affection ( like Sanji did for Hiyori). How are we meant to buy into this relationship ?

To top it all off his character is lacking any actual moments other than his badass oneliners. Using Sanji for example here. Sanji post timeskip has always had these moments, not combat related that added to his character.

- FI: Blames Jinbe for everything that happened to Nami and demands he aplogies to her
- PH: Sanji befriends Kinemon and makes Kinemon see that not all pirates are bad and evil.
- DR: Sanji sways Viola and shows that he is a good guy and that she can trust in him.

( Not using Zou and WCI)

Of course Wano is ongoing. So we wait.

But like Sanji has these important like moments other than the fight that defines his character. Luffy does as well. Zoro doesnt have any or I feel he doesnt. He doesnt add to the story till the fights come rolling. PH is a perfect example as Sanji and Zoro are both in the same team....yet it is Sanji that is the one saving Kinemon and making him join their side. Sanji is the one that Oda feels he can do more with his character. However not much for Zoro. Its like when it comes to anything that isnt combat, he isnt a character that is flexible much.

In Zou, sure Zoro had that speech. But did it really add much to the plot of Zou. Just was an information piece thats all. And for the rest of Zou he remains invisible.

I dont blame Zoro, this is all Oda's fault for failing Zoro. Pre timeskip Zoro did way more.

I know I will get a lot of hate. But oh well....:kayneshrug:
I know you're using Sanji as an example and all, to contrast their treatments by Oda in certain respects. But could you keep that to a minimum? Not to say you're trying to start anything, but that's a powder keg ready to go off under the best cases.

I do agree on the fights issue. Luffy has gotten 2 extreme fights that helped to define his character. Zoro's received 1 fight that really didn't push him to grow, because he was so severely nerfed during the interaction. Zoro should've gotten something by now, it's been like 400 chapters into the time skip and over 500 since he's had a challenging fight.

Zoro used to think Luffy and Nami'a bickering was hilarious and trolled the Usopp Gang(a group of kids) into thinking they cannibalized Usopp. Zoro when broke down laughing when the Usopp Gang assumed it was Nami who cannibalized Usopp. Or how about when Zoro did that random Tarzan yell while swinging on a vine in Skypia?

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
My one issue with Zoro post timeskip is how stagnant his character has been. Oda still provides him with the cool highlights here and there, but he lacks those really strong character moments he once had pretimeskip. I think back on all of Zoro's best moments, almost all the ones people list are from pretimeskip. And while he has it way better than a lot of the other Strawhats, I can't help feeling he's one such character that's been neglected and is currently coasting off his character arc pretimeskip.

Even in Wano, an arc which has seen more development in Zoro than the last few, it feels like the things Oda established for his arc he's chosen to walk back on.

-Shusui and Ryuma connection
-His relationship with Yasu
-Hatred for Orochi
-Sunnachi
-His connection with the Shimotsuki

They all appear thrown aside after the big chapter 955. Zoro's back to his default state, with no indication to his previously developed plotlines besides the fact they provided him Enma in some fashion. Of course, Wano isn't over, so I don't want to completely rule out their continued developments. But with how much has to get done and how much of it can get focus, I'm not confident in these particular bits getting further emphasis. With Shusui/Ryuma, best I see a short moment between Zoro and Ryuma's grave by the end of the arc. The others, I've little hopes on being followed up. All he went through was to just get him a new sword, and now that he has it, no need to further focus on them.

Still though, my favorite Zoro moment in all of Post timeskip is easily when he encountered Yasu and the people of Ebisu. Always good to see a tough guy shed that persona, even for just a bit, and reveal a good, human heart. A sweet reminder Zoro's more than some catch phrase spewing, deadly badass. Even if he doesn't get much focus later in the arc, a good moment like this is all I need.

Sorry if this wasn't exactly me providing how to make Zoro a better character. Just airing out some of my personal grievances with it.
It does help to define the areas Zoro is lacking in. Maybe not a full "fix" for Zoro, but the lack of development he's received all time skip is a recurring comment.