Questions & Mysteries Implicit meaning of One Piece

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
Background
  • Both Luffy and Roger wanted to be something which oda didn't reveal.
  • More than 20 years ago, Roger after becoming PK failed to accomplish something. I am under this belief that Roger knew that he isn't the man to achieve a task after becoming PK.

The present world
One piece world is divided - in space, in time and across races.

• The OP world is divided in four regions separated by Grandline and Red line
  • Discrimination also exist when it comes to islands on land and sky islands. Many don't even know that sky islands even exist evident from Bellamy denying their existence

There is no continuity between the past and the present.

The world government has erased information about void century to such extent very few are aware of the ancient kingdom and the void century.

We have seen ample evidences of racial discrimination -
  • Treatment given to fishmen
  • existence of slavery
  • class discrimination with celestials dragons having status of Gods
  • Discrimination even existed among inhabitants of skypiea island

These inequalities reflect that there is no oneness in one piece. But this sense of oneness find expression in SHs dreams

• Sanji wants to find ALL Blue
  • Nami wants to draw map of whole world

• Luffy has inherited Will of D and is the man who is carrying legacy of generations over his shoulders
  • Luffy also has Voice of All things.
  • Similarly zoro has connection with wano and inherited legacy of Ryuma
  • Robin wants to know true history. Interestingly, she said once that one has to carry information spread across poneglyphs to raftel to understand true history. That's oneness of information.

There is no direct reference to any Shs having such dreams but SHs have pursued the case many times through their acts
  • Their acts in skypiea United the races over there.
  • They ended exploitation in Dressrosa
  • They raised voices at sabody against inhumane aution
You guys remember what Mihawk said about Luffy at MF? He has power to bring everyone together.

Also, promise of joyboy in his letter to mermaid princess will be fulfilled by Luffy.

How all of these connect to "One piece"?

For this we have to see the Japanese meaning of "one piece".

For the term “One Piece” what we come across most often is, ワンピース which is literally wan pīsu.

At Marineford, Whitebeard said one piece does exist - “hito-tsunagi daihiho” (ひとつなぎの大秘宝), which means “the great treasure in one piece”.

However, there are two more viable reading which would include Kanji with the hiragana “hito-tsunagi“ (ひとつなぎ), which means - “the one that connects them all.”

And, another one which means "One sea at peace"

Thus three important meaning to the terms are
  • The greatest treasure in one piece
  • One sea at peace
  • The one that connects them all

Inference
From everything above we can draw an inference that one piece means bringing everything together into one common fold - One World - A true Globalised world.

It would be a world of all races being together with freedom and equality and with continuity in both temporal (past and the present ang future) and spacial context ( one sea)

Oda in an interview said that one piece is a physical reward.

Whitebeard in Marineford said "One piece is real"

Yes, it's a physical reward because it would usher " A true One World"

It's real because Luffy carrying the legacy of generations would be the architect of that world. It's real because this One World exsited in the past - at the time of Ancient Kingdom.

After becoming PK, he will learn the true history and would challenge the world government to usher One World in entirety.

It's this task which Roger failed at.

Luffy won't be just pirate king or king of the world but would actually be the creator of that One World linking/uniting everything ( races, space, past, present and even future) into "One piece"

Thank you for reading

Reborn

Gonna enjoy this theory later with an ice cold coke at home (not now by side at work). :)
You better read it later lmao

I agree 100%

And One Piece is the Project that can fulfill that Dream & Roger lacked Manpower & Health & Timing to execute it
Yes!!

With one piece oda will connect every major sub plot we have seen into one

Reborn

I can provide you with more Info & Material to expand this Theory if you want, as long as you mention me ofc xD
I'm just too lazy to Write & i think i uncovered almost all Mysteries/Sub-Plots/Questions of One Piece
I am lazy myself 🤣🤣

However, I will contact you if I will have enough time to make another theory on mysteries and will mention you too.

While reading your theory and imagining what Oda could do in future...imagination itself gave me goosebumps....good read......"freedom" is everything....can't wait for the moment when both Dragon and Luffy meet each other....I am more interested in this meeting than Luffy and Shanks meet.....either way nice theory.....:cheers:

More than this I am interested in how Oda is going to connect such "childish" dream of Luffy/Roger to this "grand" ideal world of "One piece"

Reborn

While reading your theory and imagining what Oda could do in future...imagination itself gave me goosebumps....good read......"freedom" is everything....can't wait for the moment when both Dragon and Luffy meet each other....I am more interested in this meeting than Luffy and Shanks meet.....either way nice theory.....:cheers:

More than this I am interested in how Oda is going to connect such "childish" dream of Luffy/Roger to this "grand" ideal world of "One piece"
Thanks Hades

If you say going around that you will take humanity to Mars then some will laugh considering how childish it is to even think about it, some will mock you and some will be amazed.

Luffy and Roger never had childish dreams.

Their dreams are so big that it goes beyond the imagination of most.

Last edited:
Background
  • More than 20 years ago, Roger after becoming PK failed to accomplish something. I am under this belief that Roger knew that he isn't the man to achieve a task after becoming PK.

The present world

• Discrimination also exist when it comes to islands on land and sky islands. Many don't even know that sky islands even exist evident from Bellamy denying their existence

The world government has erased information about void century to such extent very few are aware of the ancient kingdom and the void century.

• existence of slavery

These inequalities reflect that there is no oneness in one piece. But this sense of oneness find expression in SHs dreams

• Luffy has inherited Will of D and is the man who is carrying legacy of generations over his shoulders
  • Robin wants to know true history. Interestingly, she said once that one has to carry information spread across poneglyphs to raftel to understand true history. That's oneness of information.

There is no direct reference to any Shs having such dreams but SHs have pursued the case many times through their acts
You guys remember what Mihawk said about Luffy at MF? He has power to bring everyone together.

Also, promise of joyboy in his letter to mermaid princess will be fulfilled by Luffy.

For the term “One Piece” what we come across most often is, ワンピース which is literally wan pīsu.

At Marineford, Whitebeard said one piece does exist - “hito-tsunagi daihiho” (ひとつなぎの大秘宝), which means “the great treasure in one piece”.

However, there are two more viable reading which would include Kanji with the hiragana “hito-tsunagi“ (ひとつなぎ), which means - “the one that connects them all.”

• One sea at peace

Inference
From everything above we can draw an inference that one piece means bringing everything together into one common fold - One World - A true Globalised world.

It would be a world of all races being together with freedom and equality and with continuity in both temporal (past and the present ang future) and spacial context ( one sea)

It's real because Luffy carrying the legacy of generations would be the architect of that world. It's real because this One World exsited in the past - at the time of Ancient Kingdom.

After becoming PK, he will learn the true history and would challenge the world government to usher One World in entirety.

Luffy won't be just pirate king or king of the world but would actually be the creator of that One World linking/uniting everything ( races, space, past, present and even future) into "One piece"

Thank you for reading
Nice theory. I think you can put Jimbes dream under racial context

I have thoughts on this, and have been thinking about it for a long time.

Particularly the part about Roger not being able to accomplish a task. However, I've added a completely different part.

Instead of thinking of it the way you did though I had a very different approach.

Instead of comparing I'll just tell you what I thought about it.

I think Roger had too much hate in his heart by the time he discovered the One Piece at Raftel. I also think Shanks knew about his plans to activate the One Piece, but they both knew there were secrets about it even they didn't know yet. But, they might have known what it really was.

For fun, let's say I think the One Piece is a matter replicator that uses Divine Energy and technology based on metaphysics to create anything..

I think the Divine Energy required for its applications has a duality. There is a Light and Dark aspect to it.

The Light aspect of Divine Energy is what causes people and things to become united.

The Dark aspect of Divine Energy is what causes people and things to become divided.

I think Roger had accidentally mastered Dark Haki that is used in the destruction of all things instead of Light Haki which is used in the creation of all things.

Something like this.

The reason why is because - Roger knew many parts of the history of the void century before setting out on his voyage. Meaning, he already knew his real reason for becoming Pirate King, but there was a problem with knowing all that stuff. It causes him to become hateful. Something happened in the past that pisses him off every time he reincarnated and tries to set out on voyage. This leads him to tainting his Haki which is necessary to use the One Piece.

This is why Luffy never wants to know what the One Piece is or the history of the void century just by someone explaining it to him. It's the journey itself that's actually important. If he learned about any of that stuff, he'd turn out just like Roger did and it would ruin things again.

Apologies if I went too far on my own tangent. It was an interesting part of the story for me.

(in regard to the Jinbei thing... you might notice that Roger's crew also had Fishmen in it)

Last edited:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Nice theory. I think you can put Jimbes dream under racial context
Love the theory, Captain @Reborn!! I was also gonna add what Constantine said here; Jinbe’s dream and the purpose of his journey is to heal the centuries-long rift between land dwellers and their counterparts beneath the sea, as per Otohime’s will (and Fisher Tiger’s to an extent). Otherwise, all very intriguing and thought-provoking points!! :cheers:

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Background

The present world

• existence of slavery

• One sea at peace

Inference

Thank you for reading
Finally something more interesting and in-depth than casual "ALL SEAS TOGETHER".

That was a nice read:cheers:

Reborn

I have thoughts on this, and have been thinking about it for a long time.

Particularly the part about Roger not being able to accomplish a task. However, I've added a completely different part.

Instead of thinking of it the way you did though I had a very different approach.

Instead of comparing I'll just tell you what I thought about it.

I think Roger had too much hate in his heart by the time he discovered the One Piece at Raftel. I also think Shanks knew about his plans to activate the One Piece, but they both knew there were secrets about it even they didn't know yet. But, they might have known what it really was.

For fun, let's say I think the One Piece is a matter replicator that uses Divine Energy and technology based on metaphysics to create anything..

I think the Divine Energy required for its applications has a duality. There is a Light and Dark aspect to it.

The Light aspect of Divine Energy is what causes people and things to become united.

The Dark aspect of Divine Energy is what causes people and things to become divided.

I think Roger had accidentally mastered Dark Haki that is used in the destruction of all things instead of Light Haki which is used in the creation of all things.

Something like this.

The reason why is because - Roger knew many parts of the history of the void century before setting out on his voyage. Meaning, he already knew his real reason for becoming Pirate King, but there was a problem with knowing all that stuff. It causes him to become hateful. Something happened in the past that pisses him off every time he reincarnated and tries to set out on voyage. This leads him to tainting his Haki which is necessary to use the One Piece.

This is why Luffy never wants to know what the One Piece is or the history of the void century just by someone explaining it to him. It's the journey itself that's actually important. If he learned about any of that stuff, he'd turn out just like Roger did and it would ruin things again.

Apologies if I went too far on my own tangent. It was an interesting part of the story for me.

(in regard to the Jinbei thing... you might notice that Roger's crew also had Fishmen in it)
No need to apologize

As far as it's your take is concerned then I have suggestion - it's more of a speculation so You need to back with more evidences to make it viable theory and connect it with grand scheme of things.

Because otherwise it would be difficult others to understand.

Love the theory, Captain @Reborn!! I was also gonna add what Constantine said here; Jinbe’s dream and the purpose of his journey is to heal the centuries-long rift between land dwellers and their counterparts beneath the sea, as per Otohime’s will (and Fisher Tiger’s to an extent). Otherwise, all very intriguing and thought-provoking points!! :cheers:
Thanks for the input JDB✌️

Finally something more interesting and in-depth than casual "ALL SEAS TOGETHER".

That was a nice read:cheers:
Thanks Seth ✌️

One place where everyone live and love in peace? Does that sound like the kind of world luffy wants to live in?
Your point about the frozen time makes sense, the whole story.
I think back in the times of the ancient kingdom there was a lot of fights and wars, maybe because the D's were unleashed around the world fighting for their dreams as usual leading groups of people as usual
And i think thats the kind of world that luffy wants and the one he will create by raping that imu bastard