Internet Addiction

My social life's still working, but I hate the feeling of not getting my shit done because I'm wasting time on the internet, especially youtube. Being productive is kinda essential to me feeling good. Recreational activities count as being productive to me, but often being on the internet isn't even fun and just makes me feel exhausted and annoyed afterwards.

For me, there's been a pretty easy solution: Not turning on the computer. Most of the time it escalates if I got any free time and sit on my laptop. When it's off, there's no temptation.

but often being on the internet isn't even fun and just makes me feel exhausted and annoyed afterwards.
Same here. Can't even say I do something satisfying. Just browsing through the internet and youtube to see the same old shit.

For me, there's been a pretty easy solution: Not turning on the computer
Inb4 being productive includes using your laptop. Especially when you have to do online research.

I know how it's like to be productive for hours without being distracted, but I feel like nowadays my attention-span is pretty low, lol.

A solution (or better an help), at least for social medias, is to deavtivate the notifications about useless things. These could be replies to the threads or stuff people do you don't care.

What I find really disturbing is that social media, every kind (youtube, facebook, forums with this format), spend money and pay people for the precise reason to make people be addicted to their sites aka make them spend more time possible on their pages. All the system based on likes, notifications etc is based precisely on this and of course, like you probably already know, it is time spent on useless stuff.

And what is even worse is that a smartphone disrupts your focus in a moment. I just remember that in my college years I could spend an afternoon studying staying focused on the stuff to do with just some pauses.. now every 10 minutes I have to take a look at this thing, even if there is not a real reason to (and I have not fb or any other big social media plus smartphones were introduced way past my teenage years), and studies show that to go back to full focus after a distraction you may need even 20 minutes..

Same here. Can't even say I do something satisfying. Just browsing through the internet and youtube to see the same old shit.

Inb4 being productive includes using your laptop. Especially when you have to do online research.

I know how it's like to be productive for hours without being distracted, but I feel like nowadays my attention-span is pretty low, lol.
YOu just described me lmao

I have an internet addiction. The problem is we are so much dependent on internet for our daily work, communication and entertainment that I dont really know how to combat it. One way can be getting involved in sports or other activities which doesnt require internet.
Post automatically merged:

Very simple. Get a phone which isn't smart and doesn't support browsing. No internet, no addiction. Lol
Easier said than done. You know I rarely call using my cellular operator now-a-days. I use fbook, viber or other messengers for calling more. You need google maps, need to know weather forecast, even the lunch menus of the restaurants from internet. No internet is not really an option.

Last edited:
Easier said than done. You know I rarely call using my cellular operator now-a-days. I use fbook, viber or other messengers for calling more. You need google maps, need to know weather forecast, even the lunch menus of the restaurants from internet. No internet is not really an option.
I think it's interesting how this varies. Here, there's barely phone communication over facebook (don't even have it), but plenty of it via WhatsApp (well, which virtually is facebook). Viber is rarely used, at least among people that I know, but Telegram is gaining more users in my circle on a frequent rate.

I've tried to "outsource" things like map- and wheather-checks, if possible, to my laptop at home. I mean, it used to work just fine like that.

The problem is big and difficult to resolve, even more because they want you to be this way. You at this point must have a smartphone with internet and at that point you are screwed, or you go to it by your own will every now and then (10 minutes XD) and most likely got trapped for more time or it calls you directly (mails and notifications, everything that make your phone ring).

Also the "likes", and everything close to that aka small useless things that make you feel appreciated, are just like the sense of satisfaction you get when plying and acheving something in videogames, it works by making you produce dopamine just like a drug or anything that makes you feel good like sex, achievements in your work or life, good food etc and they are meant to be that way and produce this effect in your mind (it works more for male than females anyway).

Another possible solution, even more important if you are studying for something or need to study for something, but it is usefull in general, is to make a time schedule in order to reach something, I used to go to my local library for a set of 3 or 4 h daily when i was under exams (yet smartphones didn't even existed back then and that library had, has, an awful internet connection).

Another possible way, which needs dedication and honesty (I have tried it a few times but it lasts just few days..), is to write down every evening what you have done that day so that you realize what you have done or not done that day (in my case if I had respected my time targets). It is painfull to write it down and realize you have done nothing usefull that day but it also makes you realize that you must improve and do better tomorrow.

T

Tangerine

Tbh, I think I do have it but I also think I will be able to get rid of it if I change my job. I work from home so I spend a lot of time surfing the internet. Working from home can really take away one's self-discipline and I am so weak to this. I imagine this won't be the case if I worked in the office because browsing will be more or less monitored, and I cannot also be on my phone all the time.

So like any other regular office work, my job should only take up to 8 to 9 hours. But working from home takes a lot more than that because I get sidetracked so bad lol. Like sure, I can finish work within that period but my attention span just won't let me because I'm at home XD (apart from the internet, the bed is calling all the time!!) not to mention that my job takes away the remaining brain cells I have, it's so boring yet the workload is really heavy, so I need to do anything that will make my brain rest from all that bs 😂I think I'm just making excuses now to justify my internet addiction lol but yeah it's still addiction tho. :catcry:

So even if I'm "busy" I watch YouTube, read articles, search nonsense, anything that my mind tells me to search, etc. lol. When I switch jobs, next year hopefully, I can get rid of this lack of self-discipline. :daydream:

This is so accurate it hurts :catcry: and yet doing that nonsense feels satisfying to me. That's what true addiction means I guess >< Even just refreshing this forum every once in a while feels satisfying to me :feelsokeman: although I know it's so unproductive lmao. XD

Uggghh same, I can't almost even go to restaurants now without seeing the reviews and stuff. As for travel blogs I usually read, I go from checking out a tourist spot and end up reading about history I don't know how it happened anymore :kaidowhat: This internet dependency feels so wrong yet we can't really do anything about it