Is Goku A Good Father?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Obviously, this question can only be answered subjectively - no parent is perfect, no child is without trauma that they pass on in some way, and no family gets through life without internal strife.

Usually, though, relatives don’t also have to save the planet from extraterrestrial and existential threats. Goku is a mighty defender of the universe, and his sons are both more powerful than most other creatures throughout. He clearly loves Gohan and Goten, will sacrifice everything for their safety, and trains them so they can eventually succeed him. It’s equally clear that they revere him for both his power and the care he shows them, even in/from the afterlife.

Is he a good father? The above reasons are all good points in his defense, but he’s also:
• Intentionally put one son (Gohan) in harm’s way multiple times
• Barely knows or spends any real time with the other (Goten)
• Seems to value battling over everything else, to the detriment of his sons’ other interests
• Shows little genuine affection for Chi-Chi, his wife and the mother of said children

For my money, Goku IS a good father, but it’s razor thin. What say y’all?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Goku is bad role model for any father.

To add he is also terrible husband, it looks like he doesnt support chichi in household you can clearly see she has grown sullen with goku's childish behavior as a husband.

Other than a good fighter, he is pretty useless with real life stuff.
Precisely why I didn’t even ask about how he is as a husband, not sure why he ever got married in the first place considering how selfish he is.

H

Homelander

Precisely why I didn’t even ask about how he is as a husband, not sure why he ever got married in the first place considering how selfish he is.
To be fair Goku never raised Goten and Gohan under his care, he died twice one after sacrificing himself by killing his saiyan blood brother and another one after cell fusion.

Chichi grew out from the teenage fantasy she had with goku . I always believed Vegeta was better than goku , he hadgood chemistry with bulma so far goku lacked in that dept lol.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
To be fair Goku never raised Goten and Gohan under his care, he died twice one after sacrificing himself by killing his saiyan blood brother and another one after cell fusion.

Chichi grew out from the teenage fantasy she had with goku . I always believed Vegeta was better than goku , he hadgood chemistry with bulma so far goku lacked in that dept lol.
The man who was a major villain when introduced is now a good father, a good husband, and the second (or first and a half) strongest fighter in the entire universe...remind me again why Goku’s still the protagonist?? :choppawhat:

Finally some DBZ content..:steef::steef::steef:, and to answer your question;
Yes, he is indeed a Good Father. His methods are not your typical by the book fathers but he indeed is a good father to both Gohan and Goten. He was born as a Saiyan which means he craves for battles from his heart, every cell in his body insists on him challenging and fighting the strongest out there.
not sure why he ever got married in the first place considering how selfish he is.
I believe Chichi tricked him. I didn't watched all of Dragon Ball so can't say for sure though.
Goku didn't raised Gohan or Goten. True. But he cared for them and especially during Cell saga you can see how much he cared for his son Gohan as he came back from literally dead just to save / motivate his son.
Here's the first meeting of him with Goten, it was hella emotional and funny at same time. They bonded pretty quick though.

He loved his sons just the way he had known how to. He wanted them to be tough and strong to fight any challenges that awaits them ahead.
He is not the Good Husband though..!! :wellwell:

H

Homelander

The man who was a major villain when introduced is now a good father, a good husband, and the second (or first and a half) strongest fighter in the entire universe...remind me again why Goku’s still the protagonist?? :choppawhat:
Yes, i always wondered . He has qualities of a shounen hero teenager like about it as a child i had Goku logo t-shirt bought by my parent(hardcore Goku fan boy ) back then.

As an adult i grew out of him and saw vegeta as better in personality too bad toriyama likes goku. There are hardcore Goku who will defend him i don't mind it.

H

Homelander

Finally some DBZ content..:steef::steef::steef:, and to answer your question;
Yes, he is indeed a Good Father. His methods are not your typical by the book fathers but he indeed is a good father to both Gohan and Goten. He was born as a Saiyan which means he craves for battles from his heart, every cell in his body insists on him challenging and fighting the strongest out there.

I believe Chichi tricked him. I didn't watched all of Dragon Ball so can't say for sure though.
Goku didn't raised Gohan or Goten. True. But he cared for them and especially during Cell saga you can see how much he cared for his son Gohan as he came back from literally dead just to save / motivate his son.
Here's the first meeting of him with Goten, it was hella emotional and funny at same time. They bonded pretty quick though.

He loved his sons just the way he had known how to. He wanted them to be tough and strong to fight any challenges that awaits them ahead.
He is not the Good Husband though..!! :wellwell:
He thought wedding was food 😂. Chichi didn't trick him, infact he was just airhead about her love for him.

Yes, i always wondered . He has qualities of a shounen hero teenager like about it as a child i had Goku logo t-shirt bought by my parent(hardcore Goku fan boy ) back then.

As an adult i grew out of him and saw vegeta as better in personality too bad toriyama likes goku. There are hardcore Goku who will defend him i don't mind it.
He is a Shonen answer to DC's Superman. He is everything Pure in this world. Even Superman got some dark stuffs about him but Goku seemingly doesn't.
Him and Vegeta is like Superman and Batman. You adore Supes in your early years and grow up to like Bats more. The same goes for them too. I personally prefer Vegeta, the Prince of all Saiyans too.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
All right, follow up question since the issue is kinda forcing itself...is Chi-Chi a good wife? Even as overbearing as she is to her kids, they are clearly her number one concern, and she (rightfully) views her husband as the actual biggest threat to their safety, so I’m not doubting her as a mother; she tricked Goku into marriage, doesn’t support ANY of his endeavors, and won’t even grant him a divorce so he can defend the planet without worrying about how mad she’ll be. I’m leaning towards no on this one.

Based off of what I saw in the anime (english dub version), yes.

He was there for the younger year of Gohan's childhood, and instilled the morals and principles in him that would stay with him even later on.

This is such a subjective question tho.

Some people think a good father needs to hold their child's hand every day and night.
Some people think a good father should be tough on em.
Some people mix.
Some people think a good father needs to be with his children 24/7.
Some people think it doesnt matter.

So based on who you are as an individual is what determines a good father to you. Some people need the father that guides them 24/7 some people don't.

Imo, at end of the day what matters is how the father affected the child. Did Goku affect Gohan in a positive way and play a crucial role in the man who he became? Yes. Does Gohan love his father? Yes. That's a good father for me.

All right, follow up question since the issue is kinda forcing itself...is Chi-Chi a good wife? Even as overbearing as she is to her kids, they are clearly her number one concern, and she (rightfully) views her husband as the actual biggest threat to their safety, so I’m not doubting her as a mother; she tricked Goku into marriage, doesn’t support ANY of his endeavors, and won’t even grant him a divorce so he can defend the planet without worrying about how mad she’ll be. I’m leaning towards no on this one.
why is goku a bad dad? just asking

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
why is goku a bad dad? just asking
Check my first post; basically, I think he’s ultimately a good father, but he makes a ton of selfish choices and actively puts his sons in harm’s way on occasion. Just because it’s worked out doesn’t mean it was ever a good idea for, say, Gohan to fight Perfect Cell...the ends justify the means, but if you examine said means, they’re pretty shitty, especially since Goku gave Cell a Senzu Bean (???) before they fought.

Check my first post; basically, I think he’s ultimately a good father, but he makes a ton of selfish choices and actively puts his sons in harm’s way on occasion. Just because it’s worked out doesn’t mean it was ever a good idea for, say, Gohan to fight Perfect Cell...the ends justify the means, but if you examine said means, they’re pretty shitty, especially since Goku gave Cell a Senzu Bean (???) before they fought.
my only problem is when people intentionally negate gokus goods and only highlight the bad when picolo by their definition did much worse this is why i dont like picolo equals gohans dad because goku has been ther way longer for gohan because their is no solid evidence to support that claim