General & Others Is One Piece too long? What do you want from the story or simply from Oda?

Is One Piece too long?

• Yes

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • I don't know I'm not following this series for so long.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Put your love/hate/sentiment for this series aside and answer this with the truth and if you want explain why yes or why not.

For me:
With all the pain I need to say that personally I think One Piece is too long at this point.
I think Oda left too many unsolved plot holes and only adds another one and another one on top of that.
This series loses it's magic slowly.
I will always love One-Piece for its world-building, characters own unique personalities and etc etc.
I think One Piece lacks clear Power scaling ( and you can't say that it's not this is not a fucking Pokemon from the 90s where A beats B because of element advantage ) there is so much more into the One Piece power system that is interesting but it's not clear, consistency, and the story, in general, feels repetitive a lot of times now.

Do I want too much from One Piece? Yes, and I know I want too much but I'm just a simple fan who wants to see something from his favorite manga ever.
I want more fights that bring something to the story ( what I mean by that is character growth not only as a character but as a fighter ) + some fights should lead to good or bad things that could happen right after.

I want less trolling from Oda.

I want more consistency from Oda.

I want more consequences of the decisions that the main cast and the others make. Luffy is dumb for so many years and his bad decision making would lead to SH's death countless times if not for being a shonen series with plot armor. You can't tell me that Oda is doing this because of kids watching the show. FFS watch the charts. Kids watching/reading One Piece is the lowest % of the viewers/readers. Most viewers/readers start at age 19 and go only up with the age.

Don't focus on my answer. This is my 5 cents.
Answer this from your perspective.
Is One Piece too long?
What do you want from the story or simply from Oda?
Write what you think down in the comments and remember to write it with honesty if you can. ( By write it with honesty I mean don't write shit like what you want? One Piece is great there is nothing bad about it because both I and you know that you will only lie to yourself ).

I dont think One Piece is too long. In fact I love how long OP has lasted. And I do not think the length of the story is making it harder for Oda to write. He is simply losing his creative touch when it comes to plot writing. This is either due to:

- Exploiting fans by making easy, simple and inconsistent stories, so his retarded fanbase will gobble anything up without him doing much work creatively.

- Him being rushed to finish. However this wouldnt excuse the countless of unneeded sidecharacters that he keeps on introducing which take the space of the main cast.

- Age is getting to him, and he keeps on forgetting things and offpanaeling things to create new Okama characters.

- Trying to market OP for a younger demographic, which needs him to make the plot less complex for people to understand.

Honestly anything other than size of the series could be the reason why current OP is subpar and boring. Wano probably being the worst arc in terms of entertainment due to the influx of new unnesscary characters having panel time they woefully do not deserve. Look at how much paneltime Bege and Germa got last arc. Nothing in comparison to all of this shit.

WCI may have been badly written but that shit got me staying up all night waiting for spoilers. Wano is just a snoozefezz.

yes it’s long but the story is too big for it to be compressed into smaller chapters

my only 2 problems with one piece is post ts and gags

1-post time skip: after the time skip the shs except luffy became no longer the center of attention their importance became equal or sometimes less than the secondary characters in dressrosa half the strawhats were gone for 80 chapters imagine not seeing a main character for 80 weeks and that’s not including brakes and characters that no one cares about get 1v1 while robin a min character doesn’t i understand that she isn’t a fighter but giving random characters fights while a main character doesn’t is absurd

and not just their importance the interactions between the crew decreased heavily

2-the gags: people find some gags funny and others but when you insert a gag into an arc storyline and keep the gag the same without change for almost 1000 chapters and expect the viewers to laugh as they just saw it for the first time is ridiculous

i don’t mind gags that are light like zoro getting lost or brooks jokes but seeing sanji lust for women every 5s for 6,000,000 time make me extremely disappointed like it wasn’t same as it was pre ts it was about sanji becomes illogical and makes a funny face when beautiful women are around now it’s just that he’s a pervert

L

Levi_Ackerman

It is longer than any other manga i've read ( i haven't read jojo and i haven't read detective conan completely) but I don't mind it being long at all. Who wouldn't like 980 + chapters of quality content ? The more the better. Everyone expects One Piece to end in 5 years- 10 years / around chapters 1200-1300. Me on the contrary, want it to be wayyyy longer, say like around 1400-1500 chapters.

One Piece is so long cuz many panels are spent worlduilding and developing the plot, which is what one piece is known for. I don't care about fights in One Piece and I wouldn't bat an eye however badly a fight is done. One Piece's complex Narrative, huge World are what I really like the most.

So, I wouldn't like it if normal panels are sacrificed for more fights.

I need nothing much from Oda except to reduce the Sanji pervert gag which I strongly dislike and to extend one piece with many arcs for as long as he can while maintaining quality . I don't want it to end quickly just yet.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
I don't think One Piece itself is too long necessarily. It needs to be long to cover all the important plot points it has and do it justice. I say the pacing is just slow since Oda has a bigger focus on minor characters and their plot points after the timeskip.

Dressrosa for example was Chapter 700 to 801 and people say it being too long was a reason it was boring. It would have been just fine being 102 chapters long and its issue was that it had lots of focus on one dimensional characters. You had Burgess, Fujitora, Sabo, Zoro and his Mihawk flashback, Robin, Usopp etc., but so much of the attention went to the one dimensional Grand Fleet instead.

That's also a reason why so many think Wano is too long or is dragging right now. There's so much build up with the minor characters at the forefront, with the more important characters and plot points being rushed through or saved for the end. Just tease after tease.

Also, in an interview, Oda said if he ever stumbles upon a theory or speculation that's accurate and popular, he'd change his story so that it remains unpredictable(yeah he believes predictability=boring) which could explain why he's more vague than ever before and relies more on sudden cliffhangers.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Put your love/hate/sentiment for this series aside and answer this with the truth and if you want explain why yes or why not.

For me:
With all the pain I need to say that personally I think One Piece is too long at this point.
I think Oda left too many unsolved plot holes and only adds another one and another one on top of that.
I will always love One-Piece for its world-building, characters own unique personalities and etc etc.
I think One Piece lacks clear Power scaling ( and you can't say that it's not this is not a fucking Pokemon from the 90s where A beats B because of element advantage ) there is so much more into the One Piece power system that is interesting but it's not clear, consistency, and the story, in general, feels repetitive a lot of times now.

Do I want too much from One Piece? Yes, and I know I want too much but I'm just a simple fan who wants to see something from his favorite manga ever.
I want more fights that bring something to the story ( what I mean by that is character growth not only as a character but as a fighter ) + some fights should lead to good or bad things that could happen right after.

I want more consequences of the decisions that the main cast and the others make. Luffy is dumb for so many years and his bad decision making would lead to SH's death countless times if not for being a shonen series with plot armor. You can't tell me that Oda is doing this because of kids watching the show. FFS watch the charts. Kids watching/reading One Piece is the lowest % of the viewers/readers. Most viewers/readers start at age 19 and go only up with the age.

Is One Piece too long?
Write what you think down in the comments and remember to write it with honesty if you can. ( By write it with honesty I mean don't write shit like what you want? One Piece is great there is nothing bad about it because both I and you know that you will only lie to yourself ).

At this point, the length is out of control. We can take issue with any of the problems that led us here, but what good will it ultimately do? We’re here now, so we might as well go long so the author can acceptably resolve everything he’s set up.

I often feel like an arc is sagging while reading week-to-week and (with the endless WCI being the lone exception) is generally more enjoyable when I read it in larger chunks or all at once. For all of Oda’s narrative missteps since the timeskip, he still manages to tie things together in an enjoyable (if not fully realized) conclusion before we move further in the overall story. It’s easy to lose faith when we don’t know where things are going - I’m certainly guilty of this in regards to the last half of my least favorite arc - but even if what he gives us isn’t always what I want it to be, it’s still enticing enough to keep me coming back.

For me:

Is One Piece too long?

It is too long and the teasing and mystery is getting super tiring, like even in the flashback where we were supposed to get a hint of what the fuck the one piece is, we got nothing. Just roger laughing at what jb left.
Act 2 couldve honestly been cut in half.

Also, oda and his silhouette overload. almost 1k chapters in and we dunno who vegapunk is nor who the new admiral is.

I want more reveals please, and big ones. Not random benign stuff like joyboy and laugh tale which didnt add much.

I want payoff.
Post automatically merged:

At this point, the length is out of control. We can take issue with any of the problems that led us here, but what good will it ultimately do? We’re here now, so we might as well go long so the author can acceptably resolve everything he’s set up.

I often feel like an arc is sagging while reading week-to-week and (with the endless WCI being the lone exception) is generally more enjoyable when I read it in larger chunks or all at once. For all of Oda’s narrative missteps since the timeskip, he still manages to tie things together in an enjoyable (if not fully realized) conclusion before we move further in the overall story. It’s easy to lose faith when we don’t know where things are going - I’m certainly guilty of this in regards to the last half of my least favorite arc - but even if what he gives us isn’t always what I want it to be, it’s still enticing enough to keep me coming back.
I actually preferred reading wci to wano so far, there was next to no mystery and big mom had a lot of screen time.

It's too short for me:kayneshrug:I want One Piece to have at least 1,500 chapters lol:funky:
Honestly at the rate it's going....it might lmao

But seriously, anywhere from 1300-1500 chapters is probably where the series will end up. There are a myriad of plot points that Wano won't even address, even IF the Rocks plot and Kaido/BM are done after this arc (which I personally doubt).

There's simply too much for Oda to do, and whether or not that is a bad thing is subject to the reader (like this thread), but I think we can all agree that we hope he gets there.

On the bright side, Wano should get intense relatively soon. All of the main players are finally on Onigashima after this chapter, save for the BMP. We just the entire Samurai plotline to end within the next 100 chapters in order to reliably continue with the remaining plot, which is gargantuan in its own right.

Oda needs to stop introducing so many characters and focus on the ones he's been teasing for years (Vegapunk, Kuma, Dragon, Shanks, Blackbeard). Yes, he will probably have members of the SSG to show off, more Vice Admirals, more WG higher ups like Kong, but he needs to stop introducing new factions altogether.

Imo, the whole Rocks plot seems like it was too much because now it almost feels like Kaido and BM aren't meant to fall here. Weevil is still at large and apparently related to this whole thing. Shiki hasn't been seen since. Blackbeard and Shanks are also hypothesized to be related to the whole event. The Underworld and the Impel Down silver medalists are another factor entirely for their own reasons.

It's just....alot and NOT even part of the shit that's been teased for years. Don't even get me started on Im but at least he/she is part of the WG.

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Ubel > Frieren and Fern
Honestly at the rate it's going....it might lmao

But seriously, anywhere from 1300-1500 chapters is probably where the series will end up. There are a myriad of plot points that Wano won't even address, even IF the Rocks plot and Kaido/BM are done after this arc (which I personally doubt).

There's simply too much for Oda to do, and whether or not that is a bad thing is subject to the reader (like this thread), but I think we can all agree that we hope he gets there.

On the bright side, Wano should get intense relatively soon. All of the main players are finally on Onigashima after this chapter, save for the BMP. We just the entire Samurai plotline to end within the next 100 chapters in order to reliably continue with the remaining plot, which is gargantuan in its own right.

Oda needs to stop introducing so many characters and focus on the ones he's been teasing for years (Vegapunk, Kuma, Dragon, Shanks, Blackbeard). Yes, he will probably have members of the SSG to show off, more Vice Admirals, more WG higher ups like Kong, but he needs to stop introducing new factions altogether.

Imo, the whole Rocks plot seems like it was too much because now it almost feels like Kaido and BM aren't meant to fall here. Weevil is still at large and apparently related to this whole thing. Shiki hasn't been seen since. Blackbeard and Shanks are also hypothesized to be related to the whole event. The Underworld and the Impel Down silver medalists are another factor entirely for their own reasons.

It's just....alot and NOT even part of the shit that's been teased for years. Don't even get me started on Im but at least he/she is part of the WG.
At this rate Oda might pull a Bleach lol:ronalaugh::vistalaugh:

At this rate Oda might pull a Bleach lol:ronalaugh::vistalaugh:
Kill me, I don't think I'd survive that shit. Bleach was depressing but Kubo was sick and massively dragging fights. Oda really doesn't "drag" the same way. It's more that some chapters lack plot progression or he focuses on 50 different character perspectives and moves them all at snail's pace together to maintain the same timeframe.