General & Others Is One Piece too long? What do you want from the story or simply from Oda?

Is One Piece too long?

• Yes

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • I don't know I'm not following this series for so long.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not even in the top 20. Which is crazy because none of those mangas have nearly the same amount of depth in it's exploration and world that OP does.

Quite nuts how some of those manga seem to be ongoing for 40-50 years now
A lot of those Mangas seem to be Slice of Life or Sports/Hobby Mangas , those types of easier to just dive in instead of needing to read them from start to finish like One Piece and other Mangas from the 90s onwards

F

Fallen Prince

I wish I could give you a reasonable answer, but the only thing I could say to you is my heart wants what my heart wants.
But oda is mortal man as well , let him end soon so that he can take his wife to honeymoon.
Post automatically merged:

We all on this forum pretty much follow OP every week, discuss, make theories, troll each other in between each chapter, people get bored on break weeks and when OP will end, be it tomorrow or 5 years from now, it will be a stab for everybody.
Not for me , i ll go back watching other series.

But oda is mortal man as well , let him end soon so that he can take his wife to honeymoon.

Not for me , i ll go back watching other series.
It also matters for how long you have followed it. If you started let's say after Naruto ended is different from people who is after it since pre time skip or early OP. There is even people younger than the manga lol

Then I can agree that it is also important the manga gets the end Oda wants (and for sure a proper one) instead of what HxH will probably get (to make an example).

Definitely not too long. Oda wouldn't be able to capture the same magic if he didn't take the time to develop the exploration and World building. There are countless other mangas out there with longer run time than One Piece, but not everything feels as connected from a narrative and world building aspect as One Piece. Everything feels alive, and is setup in such a way that when the Straw Hats move from one island to the next, you never forget the previous Islands, because they all play apart in the greater scheme of the story. It's why people can go back hundreds of chapters and still try and create theories of what's to come. I know for me, and probably many others this is the greatest Journey I'll ever take from a fictional story, and the ending will be bitter sweet when it finally happens, because I'll be happy to finally get to see has had in mind for his ending for over 20+ years, while at the same time be sad to see it end.

T
I can say 1,300

But no way Oda will push himself that far :)
Thats only Dressrosa to pretty much the current point in this Manga. 1300 almost seems to short imo. In 400 chapters, he still hasn't managed to finish 2 Yonko plots. How is he supposed to end 2 additional yonko, plotlines for vegapunk, kuma, Revis, the WG, marines, all of the mysteries, main characters, etc etc in that time frame.

He literally can't unless he rushes.

M

MD Zolo

One Piece is definitely too long. I know Oda believes the journey to be more fun than reaching the destination, but there should be a limit.

He has placed huge emphasis on the secondary characters and that is making the story too long. These secondary characters make him lose sight of the ultimate goal. For example, in the grand scheme of things, Rebecca, Tama or Toko is completely useless. He just adds them to add some spice to it. But why? Law himself was enough to establish Doflamingo as a terrible person. The dystopian picture of Wano was enough to establish Orochi/Kaido as the harbinger of misery upon Wano, Tama/Toko was completely unnecessary.

And let's be honest. It was a mistake from Oda to add Zoro to this story. Zoro's character and goal is set up in way that can generate a manga on its own. Now, Oda has this issue where he needs to focus on Luffy but Zoro has been provided with same level of Shonen ambition as Luffy. Consequence is that Zoro, Mihawk, Ryuma so on gets neglected upon.

Oda should've been minimal in terms of connectable characters. If he planned to use the Yonkous as the final villains, he should've just never introduced the Shichibukai.

I for one am quite frustrated at how Oda spent all this time for characters that have no bearing on the story at large. It is difficult to read One Piece and watch my favorites like Crocodile, Lucci and Doflamingo being made obsolete as the story progresses. It is painful to see that Zoro side of characters like Mihawk, Ryuma, Tashigi having zero significance in the story.

Oda didn't plan his story correctly. Consequently, some of the fans are suffering. We have to watch as though fan favorite characters are made useless in the story where we spent dozens of chapters cheering for them (or for their defeats).

Of course, much of the blame falls upon me too. When the four Yonkous were revealed at the end of Water 7 saga, I should've known that everything else is just a waste of time and will not have any significance in the grand scheme.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
T

Thats only Dressrosa to pretty much the current point in this Manga. 1300 almost seems to short imo. In 400 chapters, he still hasn't managed to finish 2 Yonko plots. How is he supposed to end 2 additional yonko, plotlines for vegapunk, kuma, Revis, the WG, marines, all of the mysteries, main characters, etc etc in that time frame.

He literally can't unless he rushes.
I hope it will be as long as possible lol

Just giving out my thought based off declarations suppose :)

I'll say One Piece is too long if Wano didn't end in 50 chapters after 1000th chapter.
Dressrosa is SHIT. Too many chapter and we got barely any hints about One Piece and it's worldbuilding or characterization that appeared before ts in sacrifice for establishing of Grand Fleet. Luffy vs Doffy is too dragging that it lost its satisfaction when Luffy finally beat him.
Zou is shorter but we get many hints about one piece. WCI and Mirror Huh???
Oden's backstory is too long, Luffy fighting fodder, and now Yamato, a character who didn't get any forehadowing appeared. The character whom Oda write just to show shock factor and troll any prediction by fans. I think OP will end in 2056th chapter.

We need an editor like Akira Hattori in Bakuman that didn't obey WSJ's higher board's order to drag One Piece as long as Oda lives.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
It also matters for how long you have followed it. If you started let's say after Naruto ended is different from people who is after it since pre time skip or early OP. There is even people younger than the manga lol
10 years.
I think Oda started too many themes and he won't be able to finish them because he only adds another and another. People will be disappointed because he will off screen or barely mention a lot of things.
( If One Piece really ends in 5-7 years ofc )

10 years.
I think Oda started too many themes and he won't be able to finish them because he only adds another and another. People will be disappointed because he will off screen or barely mention a lot of things.
( If One Piece really ends in 5-7 years ofc )
I think it is fine as long as he ties up the major points (and he is bounded to do it) like the will of d., the one piece, void century, Raftel but also the past and motives of people like BB, Shanks, Mihawk..
If he leaves out things like the things in the Florian triangle that could also be a good thing cause if you destroy any trace of mistery then the story is way less interesting (chances are he will do a sequel of something given how much famous this manga is, see Kishimoto who tries to keep milking his cow with Boruto).

Point in case is he really needs to hit the ground running after this arc. Vegapunk/Elbaf are the 2 "individual" arc plots i see continuing before we get to lodestar then probably the final war.

Part of me is nervous the Rocks plot isn't finishing on Wano, but Id love for all 4 Yonko to encounter each other on Elbaf or something

We all on this forum pretty much follow OP every week, discuss, make theories, troll each other in between each chapter, people get bored on break weeks and when OP will end, be it tomorrow or 5 years from now, it will be a stab for everybody.
Tbh, it'll only be a true stab if it doesn't end well. OP still has the opportunity to cover everything and end in a really satisfying way, and that is what is important

Last edited: