Character Discussion Is Zoro getting too strong too fast?

Zoro prolly got the largest+fastest power-up ever. Or you can argue that we haven't never really seen his full strength post time-skip. Whichever floats your boat.
This is after chapter 1009 in which zoro blocks hakai, the two yonko combo and arguably the strongest attack in the whole OP universe.
Dude literally blocks it with no ashura and an eye closed πŸ™„. (WTF?!)
Not to mention he manages to scare big mom to warn kaido to gtfo of his attack, which she has never feared for any of ther other supernova attacks.
We know that wano is the zoro arc, but zoro is really feasting at the rooftop.

Some people are already putting zoro = luffy, which i don't necessary agree and still see zoro as a bit weaker.
However, I do see their reasoning based on his current wano feats so far.

Yeah but nothing we can do about it, I think it’s bad writting and would’ve liked seeing his growth to the level he’s at right now instead of it all being offscreen but it is what it is.

Zoro is low top tier now and we saw none of his journey. Not too happy about it cause I believe it’s Oda’s fault but meh.

Yeah but nothing we can do about it, I think it’s bad writting and would’ve liked seeing his growth to the level he’s at right now instead of it all being offscreen but it is what it is.

Zoro is low top tier now and we saw none of his journey. Not too happy about it cause I believe it’s Oda’s fault but meh.
What's your definition and comparable characters to "low top tier" level that you think zoro is at right now?

To your point of us not seeing zoro's progression. My thinking is that it is possible that zoro came out of time-skip stronger than luffy did. It sounds ridiculous but this is my thinking after noticing that zoro needed no power-up besides the acquisition of enma to achieve his rooftop feats. Whereas, you have luffy going through doffy and kata for his power-ups.

What's your definition and comparable characters to "low top tier" level that you think zoro is at right now?

To your point of us not seeing zoro's progression. My thinking is that it is possible that zoro came out of time-skip stronger than luffy did. It sounds ridiculous but this is my thinking after noticing that zoro needed no power-up besides the acquisition of enma to achieve his rooftop feats. Whereas, you have luffy going through doffy and kata for his power-ups.
I’d say old Rayleigh.
That’s still bad writting imo, skipping so much of his progress without us seeing it is lazy writting for me.

The problem is we saw none of his growth post skip, would you say it’s engaging writting? I think not personally.
What so you mean? Just this arc alone Zoro been fighting and training constantly, He trained with enma and fought many fodder. + fought and had clashes killer hawkins denjiro the fox and apoo before fighting kaido.
Zoro has been constantly training and fighting. The only time we didnt see him train much(we still saw a bit) was in time skip it self but it was implyed thst he reserved some training from mihawk and that he got very strong coming out of time skip.
And now that we are in Wano zoro's arc we will probably get a few flashbacks for zoro which one will explain this.

Last edited:
i think the fandom scaled how strong he would go based off an assumption of what his ceiling would be
however if the author wants him to have an even higher ceiling than we expect
then this growth is understandable.
I agree. i think the general impression (at least before the rooftop chapters came out) is that zoro's EOS potential is to be at the strength of a yonko.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
However, I do see their reasoning based on his current wano feats so far.
Based on current Wano feats it's Zoro > Luffy.

Based on portrayal and expectations for Luffy's future performance (e.g. that he'll outperform eventually) some people argue Zoro = Luffy.

Based on current Wano feats it's Zoro > Luffy.

Based on portrayal and expectations for Luffy's future performance (e.g. that he'll outperform eventually) some people argue Zoro = Luffy.
i can understand this sentiment. Hype-wise, zoro's current feat > luffy. But the negative to this is that zoro hasn't solo'ed any top-tier fighters, unlike luffy. So you will have the other side making this argument that Luffy > zoro, until otherwise.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž

What if Zoro just became that strong because of Hawkeye's training? Why is that a problem?

Enma was a significant COA boost for Zoro and he copied Homurasaki from Kinemon, but other than that, Zoro's other stats haven't significantly improved. Zoro's just been that strong since he entered the New World.

Let's not forget that he's yet to reveal Asura/Kongo Yasha or the issue with his eye:
  • Zoro's eye being closed is a limiter/acts as a power up when opened.
  • Zoro lost his eye in a duel with Hawkeyes.
    • There'll be a flashback power up involving this

Oda was very careful not to demonstrate Zoro's limits:
  • Zoro destroyed Monet through raw intimidation
  • Zoro clarified that Pica was never on his level and was always much weaker
  • He had Issho stop him from engaging Doflamingo.
    • Was Zoro simply too strong?
  • He had Bird Cage stop him after he defeated Pica
  • He removed him from WCI
    • Was Zoro simply too strong for a desperate escape arc?
    • Would Zoro's bounty have been too high if he came along?

Zoro has never been pushed to his limits postskip until he actually fought Two Yonkou.

Zoro could not have grown from a low high tier to a low top tier, because he was already a high high tier when he entered the New World.

By delaying Zoro's all out strength until Wano, Oda was able to prevent Zoro from overshadowing Luffy.

My thinking is that it is possible that zoro came out of time-skip stronger than luffy did. It sounds ridiculous but this is my thinking after noticing that zoro needed no power-up besides the acquisition of enma to achieve his rooftop feats.
I think so too. See my above post.

The problem is we saw none of his growth post skip, would you say it’s engaging writting? I think not personally.
I don't think Oda had fighters strong enough to push Zoro to his limits.

As for why we never saw Zoro's growth:
  • Zoro leaving Hawkeyes island (he was the first to return) when he was merely a low high tier would have been stupid on his part.
    • He bowed his head to his rival and gave up his pride to seek the strength to protect Luffy.
      • He's not going to be satisfied with strength below the Yonkou Commanders.
    • He was defeated by Kuma and had to give up his life and throw away his ambition just to preserve Luffy's life.
      • Do you really think an in character Zoro would accept being weaker than Kuma? The cause of his failures? His strength was found wanting, and he would leave it that way?
  • This is not Zoro's story. This isn't Zoro's story, so Oda doesn't need to show the growth he had against Mihawk.
    • Zoro had several duels and training sessions with Hawkeyes, and he grew to a high high tier against him.
    • However, it's not his story, so Oda wouldn't show them.

Again, Zoro simply returned from the timeskip a High High Tier.