News Jump will be delayed next week (Week of April 20th) due to COVID-19

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/fx1a65
Pretty serious at the moment. Long story short, a staff member contracted the virus, Jump will be shutting down for a week, and Japan is just now only taking serious precautions regarding COVID-19.

- The next issue (April 13th) will release on schedule, so Chapter 977 will be on time (Spoilers tonight for the Spoilerheads). Official Chapter will release the 12th.
- April 20th will not have an issue, 978 will not release next week.
- The magazine is scheduled to resume April 27th (as a double issue, this does not mean double chapter), so possibly expect Chapter 978 spoilers the 22nd/23rd of April and the Official Chapter the 26th.
- Golden Week is the following week (April 29th-May 6th), so Jump will be off once again, regardless of any pending developments.
- May 11th should see the release of Chapter 979, so spoilers May 6th/7th.

However, please note: This pandemic has been changing schedules and affecting all sorts of entertainment in our lives. I would personally, not expect 978/979 to release as expected in 2-4 weeks, as Jump could effectively be forced to shut down in a week indefinitely. It makes everything easier as a just in case.

Essentially: Best case scenario: we receive 3 chapters within the next 5 weeks. Worst case: 977 is the last chapter we see until mid-late May/Early June.

All in all, its OKAY to be disappointed, but we all need to leave our best wishes and good health for the Jump Staff and Oda, who provide us with this small moment of happiness week to week. We will get through this friends, and reserve our Zoro v. Sanji fights for when everything gets back to normal (or you know, just argue about it endlessly until then).

Last edited:
I see it as positive.

If there's indeed a longer hiatus, Oda has more time to get some well-deserved off-time and maybe even plan the conclusion of Wano and ending of the series in a great way.

Maybe this hiatus even somehow wakes up and motivates Togashi, since for once he isn't the one that can be called the source of all hiatus in the manga scene ...

So this week 977.
Next week break.
chapter
2 weeks break
then chapter?
As long as there are no further complications with the virus or the Japanese Government force Jump to shut down indefinitely, or if Oda decides to take another break, then yes it should be the schedule. It is the best case scenario.

I see it as positive.

If there's indeed a longer hiatus, Oda has more time to get some well-deserved off-time and maybe even plan the conclusion of Wano and ending of the series in a great way.

Maybe this hiatus even somehow wakes up and motivates Togashi, since for once he isn't the one that can be called the source of all hiatus in the manga scene ...
I 100% agree. I'd rather Wano be better paced (though, I can't see the war being shorter than like 40-50 chapters at this point) and written well. I'd also would rather Oda stay healthy and enjoy the company of his family so he comes back strong/motivated.

Last edited:

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
The only good thing is that we will have countless days to discuss the spoilers lol

Sad news is we will get a single chapter every 2 weeks for a damn long tine

The only good thing is that we will have countless days to discuss the spoilers lol

Sad news is we will get a single chapter every 2 weeks for a damn long tine
Unfortunately, theres a possibility we may not get a chapter at all for a while. This is only the planned schedule, and as this virus has shown, it destroys plans pretty quickly. Lets hope implementations Japan has will be stricter and Jump takes its own precautions to prevent a worse outcome. If not, I can see places like Jump closed indefinitely while this pandemic gets resolved.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Unfortunately, theres a possibility we may not get a chapter at all for a while. This is only the planned schedule, and as this virus has shown, it destroys plans pretty quickly. Lets hope implementations Japan has will be stricter and Jump takes its own precautions to prevent a worse outcome. If not, I can see places like Jump closed indefinitely while this pandemic gets resolved.
I see. Thanks for the explanations nakama.

Anyway, mangaka's are already isolated due to their work, and the magazine has a digital version... So I guess they can work remote and go digital if they want...
The problem is, Mangaka are directly in contact with their Editors who look over their work. Apparently the person infected with COVID-19 was from the editorial department. I'm not sure how they would do a work-from-home schedule (the editor I mean), but I can see it being super cumbersome to send his editor rough drafts scanned over a computer rather than directly in a package like usual.

If they can get over this hurdle, digital is definitely the way to go, I agree.

Last edited:
Safety first, but OP chapters are the only thing I have forward to look to. Can't do anything, can't go out anywhere. Nothing good on TV. Pirate Warriors 4 is a rip off of itself. And worst part of all, still gotta work from home. It's like being in prison but you still have to work. It's worse than prison :feelscryingman:

I 100% agree. I'd rather Wano be better paced (though, I can't see the war being shorter than like 40-50 chapters at this point) and written well. I'd also would rather Oda stay healthy and enjoy the company of his family so he comes back strong/motivated.
Yas, exactly this. I hope he gets his well deserved rest. But knowing Goda, HE WON'T. :'(