Character Discussion Kaido is a bland and uninteresting antagonist

And Oda used 8 years as set up just for Kaido and we are over three years into Wano and still haven’t gotten a backstory. It’s too late for any backstory, Oda has already butchered Kaido’s character. Kaido is a bland, boring character and his top commander King is a mute.

Oda needs to retire and let someone else write one piece. I’ve read many fan fiction of Wano and their writing is so much better.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
Especially compared to previous antagonists like Doflamingo or Katakuri.
I can understand Doflamingo, but what's so interesting about Katakuri? I agree he's cool and all, but he's not that interesting. He looked kinda lame with the whole fake identity thing. If he were to fight someone else, people would have made a joke out of him for having such a lame side to him. His only saving grace is that he seemingly did all of this for his siblings; that was a nice touch though.

I agree Kaido so far feels bland, though it's too soon to decide anything. We don't even know anything about his background.

Adam 🍎

Pretty Boy
I can understand Doflamingo, but what's so interesting about Katakuri? I agree he's cool and all, but he's not that interesting. He looked kinda lame with the whole fake identity thing. If he were to fight someone else, people would have made a joke out of him for having such a lame side to him. His only saving grace is that he seemingly did all of this for his siblings; that was a nice touch though.

I agree Kaido so far feels bland, though it's too soon to decide anything. We don't even know anything about his background.
Well to me Katakuri is perfect example of Non-ambitious character being just as strong as ambitious ones

He unlocked his CoC due to his passion to protect his family. Whole WCI everything he did was for them, even at the end he is willing to betray BM so that his family is safe.

He could have killed Luffy at the end but chose not to bcs of his family

Especially compared to previous antagonists like Doflamingo or Katakuri. I am very underwhelmed and honestly not sure if a backstory can save his character. If he doesn’t have a good backstory, it’ll be reasonable to say he’s one of the worst arc antagonists and THE worst saga antagonist.
Agreed. :cheers:

It's like I previously said: Oda dropped the ball hard on him and Big Mom for the sake of pushing Oden and a tired joke respectively. What a waste. :pepecafe:

I disagree. He has his own unique way of life, pride as an oni and he showcased above average intelligence a lot of times.

Saying that someone like Katakuri is a better villain than Kaido is disrespectful.
Kaido literally abused his child for the most generic pinky-to-lip villain reason
Post automatically merged:

I disagree. He has his own unique way of life, pride as an oni
This is like saying that Jiren is a good antagonist because he was a prideful warrior. Do you have any idea how bad of a take this is?

doffy was the peak "villain"
kata vs luffy is completely different
like luffy is fighting a Seinen version of himself in the fanatsy world of mirrors!
the reality of pain and struggle with willpower to learn and achieve vs a "perfect" born man in every way that even his eating and sleeping should be cool!
a criticism of perfectionism
i like it when in the end while everyone and everything is in danger again kata is relax and smiles that luffy is running away
he cant always be there for his family and shit happens...
for kaido we need a backstory ( but when "Goda"?!)

Oda had more than 300 chapters to build up kaido and he failed miserably, kaido was a nobody before wano, even in wano he's still a nobody, the only interesting thing about him is the rocks flashback and vegapunk hype.
Kaido's oni race is so lame and uninteresting, his racial superiority argument is so generic, his lack of aggression and bloodlust is pathetic for a supposedly very powerful brute.

Such a shame that he had the most badass introduction in the series, the narrator saying "the strong lives and the weak dies, this is the only rule of this world" then it turned out that it's all a big lie, it's understandable why kaido left kid, killer and hawkins alive, but why didn't he kill the rest of their fodder crew members, literally no one died from kid's crew.
Mf defeated the scabbards, and he just sat there, just for him to fight kin'emon again half an hour later and suspiciously killing him.

I read entire series of similar length that had masterfully written characters than one piece.