Character Discussion Kid is a good character

Kid, in my opinion, is a very well-done example of an underdog character. He's constantly getting his ass handed to him. He lost to Shanks, then Kaido multiple times, then Big Mom multiple times, and now Shanks again. But even when he was going up against some of the strongest people in the world, Kid never gave up, even playing a major role in Big Mom's defeat.

To me, I think this scene best encapsulates Kid's character:

Kid is an underdog. He constantly gets his ass kicked, but he always gets right back up and tries again. He never ever gives up, and that perseverance is precisely why he's a successful pirate.

I know a lot of people are clowning on the guy because he lost, but I think these most recent chapters do a very good job at demonstrating Kid's character. Pay close attention to the dialogue here

Last time, Kid never even got to see Shanks, being defeated one-sidedly by Shanks' allies. The One Piece setting is filled with characters who, after hitting a wall, completely gave up in life. Characters like Kaido or Moria, after experiencing similar setbacks, fell victim to their own despair and self-loathing, becoming empty shells of the great pirates they once were. But Kid? Kid got right back up and tried again.

And that perseverance paid off. Pay close attention to how Shanks acts in regards to Kid in the most recent chapter

At first, Shanks didn't even know who Kid is, being more concerned about Blackbeard's whereabouts than the pirate right in front of him. But then he immediately changes his tune

Whereas before Kid was a complete afterthought to Shanks, here not only is Kid worthy of his attention, but Kid is actually a threat. Kid got very, very close to singlehandedly decimating Shanks' crew, to the point that Shanks actually shows some small amount of fear towards Kid.

Pay attention to the paneling here. Shanks and Kid, despite the gap in power, are drawn on equal standing to each other. Before Kid wasn't even strong enough to get a glimpse of Shanks, but here the two of them meet face-to-face as two accomplished pirate captains

One thing I think is interesting about this scene is that it nicely contrasts the Big Mom fight

Big Mom lost because she underestimated Kid and Law. When she saw Kid preparing Damned Punk, her first instinct was not to dodge or try to deflect it, but instead to take that shit head-on. Big Mom had never been seriously challenged in decades, and as such rested on her laurels believing that she and her reign were utterly invincible. This hubris is exactly why she lost.

Shanks, however, was able to realize exactly how much of a threat Kid was. When Kid prepared Punk Rotten, Shanks' first instinct was not to arrogantly try to deflect or block it, but prevent Kid from even firing it in the first place. Shanks, unlike Big Mom, did not make the mistake of underestimating Kid, and is still an Emperor because of it.

Even if he lost, you can't deny that Kid's come a long way. I look forward to seeing what Oda does with the guy going forward :carrocorn:

Roronoa-sama

Magic Sword, Magic Swordsman, and Can Cut Anything
Kid, in my opinion, is a very well-done example of an underdog character. He's constantly getting his ass handed to him. He lost to Shanks, then Kaido multiple times, then Big Mom multiple times, and now Shanks again. But even when he was going up against some of the strongest people in the world, Kid never gave up, even playing a major role in Big Mom's defeat.

To me, I think this scene best encapsulates Kid's character:

Kid is an underdog. He constantly gets his ass kicked, but he always gets right back up and tries again. He never ever gives up, and that perseverance is precisely why he's a successful pirate.

I know a lot of people are clowning on the guy because he lost, but I think these most recent chapters do a very good job at demonstrating Kid's character. Pay close attention to the dialogue here

Last time, Kid never even got to see Shanks, being defeated one-sidedly by Shanks' allies. The One Piece setting is filled with characters who, after hitting a wall, completely gave up in life. Characters like Kaido or Moria, after experiencing similar setbacks, fell victim to their own despair and self-loathing, becoming empty shells of the great pirates they once were. But Kid? Kid got right back up and tried again.

And that perseverance paid off. Pay close attention to how Shanks acts in regards to Kid in the most recent chapter

At first, Shanks didn't even know who Kid is, being more concerned about Blackbeard's whereabouts than the pirate right in front of him. But then he immediately changes his tune

Whereas before Kid was a complete afterthought to Shanks, here not only is Kid worthy of his attention, but Kid is actually a threat. Kid got very, very close to singlehandedly decimating Shanks' crew, to the point that Shanks actually shows some small amount of fear towards Kid.

Pay attention to the paneling here. Shanks and Kid, despite the gap in power, are drawn on equal standing to each other. Before Kid wasn't even strong enough to get a glimpse of Shanks, but here the two of them meet face-to-face as two accomplished pirate captains

One thing I think is interesting about this scene is that it nicely contrasts the Big Mom fight

Big Mom lost because she underestimated Kid and Law. When she saw Kid preparing Damned Punk, her first instinct was not to dodge or try to deflect it, but instead to take that shit head-on. Big Mom had never been seriously challenged in decades, and as such rested on her laurels believing that she and her reign were utterly invincible. This hubris is exactly why she lost.

Shanks, however, was able to realize exactly how much of a threat Kid was. When Kid prepared Punk Rotten, Shanks' first instinct was not to arrogantly try to deflect or block it, but prevent Kid from even firing it in the first place. Shanks, unlike Big Mom, did not make the mistake of underestimating Kid, and is still an Emperor because of it.

Even if he lost, you can't deny that Kid's come a long way. I look forward to seeing what Oda does with the guy going forward :carrocorn:
so BM is fool:seriously: