Character Discussion King's Mask and Sanji

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
It's a Speculation

King wears a black suit but we all wanna know how he actually looks like? Let's see what we can make it out with the information we have so far

Skin Complexion
The panel below kind of give the impression that he has dark complexion with light colored hair

Emotional Attachment
In panel below, King became furious when zoro cut his mask. He almost went bersek

There is one emotion Oda has clearly highlighted here - Anger.

Connection with sanji

There are few symbolism between Sanji and King.

1)Both wear Black outfits

2)Both can ignite fire though with different degrees

3) King can fly whereas Sanji has sky walk/moon walk

4) King belongs to the race Lunarian and queen bringing this up in front of Sanji.

5) Similar Hair color

6) Sanji has shown being on fire whenever he gets Angry (emotional trait shown by King when zoro cut his mask). It's kind of like that Anger enhances Sanji's strength.

Sanji vs Jabra
Sanji was angry and unleashed DJ. He also implied that gaining more heat/fire means more speed - In chemistry particles of gas gain more Kinetic energy with increase in temperature.

Sanji being pissed about his TS. He used Grill shot ( fire realated) here and usoop hyped his speed.

Angry Sanji shown turning into a monster with fire all over him after remembering his TS ordeal and used Hell Memories

Angry Sanji portrayal in Thriller Bark

Sanji dodging kata bullets and look at his glare at kata (he is pissed)

And, most recently Sanji being angry and unleashing Ifrit Jambe

7) Do you guys remember that Judge made Sanji wear an Iron mask and locked him in dungeon and held his funeral? It was to erase the identity of Sanji. And, King also wear a mask.

Inferences and Speculations Drawn

1) King's Mask - He is wearing mask to hide an aspect of his identity. Perhaps his face or whole body is burned. My speculation is that during early childhood days King because of his own fire got his face/body burned as he didn't have strong body to protect himself from it.

Remember that sanji himself said that because of exoskeleton now he can have stronger fire.

Thus, king was mocked and humiliated and he wore mask to hide his face or body or he was forced to wear it.

That dark complexion is nothing but his burned face/body.

2) Stronger King - Whenever his mask would be cut open, king will become furious and with his anger overwhelming him and his fire will become stronger. So, if I am right then King vs Zoro is far from over.

3) Sanji most likely is Lunarian. Maybe, Sora was Lunarian or has some connection. Too much going on to ignore this even when Queen remarked that sanji can't be Lunarian.

4)Sanji's Anger emotion has direct bearance on his will power and physical abilities especially fire and speed. Also, as his fire will become stronger, his speed will increase in proportion to it.

Lhulu

Tobidara Believer
Great thread @Reborn, but you should tag me next time :catcry:

I really liked the characterization you made for King, during my read I couldn't see these nuances from him. The identity complex perfectly fits his fallen angel theme, specially if we looks to Lunarian race as "Gods" narcissists and the Wildfire being an "Ugly Duckling". Well, he could easily become the best written Beast Pirate.
Unfortunaly, i can't see Oda doing a flashback for him alone, so let's hope Kaido's one will shows us something.

Talking about Sanji's aspect, yeah, I definitely thinks he has ties with Lunarians, but like the Germa stuff, I guess he will awakens this power only in other arc.

@ConquistadoR @Patryipe look at this, your boy has a lot of narrative potential.

Last edited:

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
Good read.

I think King definitely gets furious the more his mask cracks. I'll add more onto this - Oda never uses dark shading (that he used to depict King's skin colour) even while drawing characters who have black/brown skin in the b/w manga.

F.Ex.

He has only used that particular shading to depict Shanks' hair in the b/w manga.

So it's highly possible that Lunarians have a red skin tone. That may also be the reason why King is hiding himself by wearing a full body covering suit & mask and he becomes enraged when it looks like it's going to break.
Post automatically merged:

@ConquistadoR @Patryipe look at this, your boy has a lot of narrative potential.
I have very low expectations about King getting some good characterization since that's mostly reserved for Luffy's opponents but there is certainly lot of material to go into if Oda chooses to :catsweat:

In addition to what you have stated rightfully (credits be given) , the possibility of RS abilities in germa sibs might hint them having actual Mechanical parts.. remember Queen claims that sanji's ability being stealth black cannot be replicated with his RS (unless you are cyborg with parts who Queen fits the bill pretty well) so he knows what he saying when he said he researched germa thoroughly

why do i bring this up?

because :

-Queen exclaiming sanji's leg being a machine due to it combusting into flames isn't a coincidence anymore.. he knows you can't achieve power like this naturally if you sre not a lunarian or from the respective race , and following this us with Queen replicating germa abilities confirms that unless germa sibs (expect reiju who has a df) machines its not scientifically possible to have a winch hand like yonjis, lasers like ochiji and lighting like niji.

- the only genetic alteration for the sibs we hear about is strenght, exoskeleton, speedand ice heart... no RS powers for a reason.. we hear this from Judge and Queen who reiterate this quality that was altered.

-This sets the bar for us to except from Vega punk to pull of something theses 2 couldn't.. using genes from species to imitate their abilities.

In conclusion sanji isn't like his brother, the only similarities they have is the genetic alteration of strength, speed, exoskeleton and heart of ice.

that means sanjivs flames are more mystical than ever before and it eliminates the possibility of sanji having lunarian genes augmented into him coz the you'll have to go over the possibility that Queen managed to genetically alter himself soo immaculate to replicate what the sibs have .. which he insinuates requires machine parts

What we need is flash back to hiw sanji discovered DJ that woukd explain alot..and the possibility of the siblings being aprt lunarian is still relevant...

Ironically enough King also reacted when Zoro mentioned Sanjis weird eyebrows.
what really Lol

Reborn

In addition to what you have stated rightfully (credits be given) , the possibility of RS abilities in germa sibs might hint them having actual Mechanical parts.. remember Queen claims that sanji's ability being stealth black cannot be replicated with his RS (unless you are cyborg with parts who Queen fits the bill pretty well) so he knows what he saying when he said he researched germa thoroughly

why do i bring this up?

because :

-Queen exclaiming sanji's leg being a machine due to it combusting into flames isn't a coincidence anymore.. he knows you can't achieve power like this naturally if you sre not a lunarian or from the respective race , and following this us with Queen replicating germa abilities confirms that unless germa sibs (expect reiju who has a df) machines its not scientifically possible to have a winch hand like yonjis, lasers like ochiji and lighting like niji.

- the only genetic alteration for the sibs we hear about is strenght, exoskeleton, speedand ice heart... no RS powers for a reason.. we hear this from Judge and Queen who reiterate this quality that was altered.

-This sets the bar for us to except from Vega punk to pull of something theses 2 couldn't.. using genes from species to imitate their abilities.

In conclusion sanji isn't like his brother, the only similarities they have is the genetic alteration of strength, speed, exoskeleton and heart of ice.

that means sanjivs flames are more mystical than ever before and it eliminates the possibility of sanji having lunarian genes augmented into him coz the you'll have to go over the possibility that Queen managed to genetically alter himself soo immaculate to replicate what the sibs have .. which he insinuates requires machine parts

What we need is flash back to hiw sanji discovered DJ that woukd explain alot..and the possibility of the siblings being aprt lunarian is still relevant...

what really Lol
I don't think we will get how sanji discovered DJ.

We have this info that the friction caused it but how reached to the conclusions is something I don't think oda will reveal.

My bet is that anger caused him to do so. But it's borderline BS lol

I really liked the characterization you made for King, during my read I couldn't see these nuances from him. The identity complex perfectly fits his fallen angel theme, specially if we looks to Lunarian race as "Gods" narcissists and the Wildfire being an "Ugly Duckling". Well, he could easily become the best written Beast Pirate.
Unfortunaly, i can't see Oda doing a flashback for him alone, so let's hope Kaido's one will shows us something.

Talking about Sanji's aspect, yeah, I definitely thinks he has ties with Lunarians, but like the Germa stuff, I guess he will awakens this power only in other arc.

I don't make threads that often. So when I made this thread I just randomly tag few users whose name popped up.

But I will remember to tag you next time. And, thank you for the feedback.

Nice 👍👍

That makes sense.

But I definitely have hope that oda will flesh out King's character more especially when editor note hyped king's mask

Reborn

so sanji all of sudden wanted to ballerina dance on one leg and tadaaaa

:suresure:
Lol

Don't expect oda to tell us how he got DJ.

He will touch other aspects and leave it on us to connect the dots.

I mean Sanji character development is going on for past few arcs.. I don't see oda again touching it in detail like he did in WCI.

Lol

Don't expect oda to tell us how he got DJ.

He will touch other aspects and leave it on us to connect the dots.

I mean Sanji character development is going on for past few arcs.. I don't see oda again touching it in detail like he did in WCI.
that character development innt.. which was associated with his past struggles.. which was the character arc..

So for instance just like zoro's character arc regarding swords and the concepts .. sanji may have his own arc where oda has DJ fleshed out

Reborn

that character development innt.. which was associated with his past struggles.. which was the character arc..

So for instance just like zoro's character arc regarding swords and the concepts .. sanji may have his own arc where oda has DJ fleshed out
Don't think we have time for Sanji own character development arc anymore. Too many plots still left to be covered like Elbaf

So, in short, Jajji modeled his 3rd son after the mighty Lunarian?
Aka Sanjino is a knock-off version of King... :sanmoji:
:milaugh::milaugh:

Zoro vs King was as close as we could get to Zoro vs Sanji.... But now both Sanji and zoro got PU so its not this anymore
Nah

Both flights are portrayed in totally different manner.

Also, Sanji vs queen lasted way longer in comparison to Z vs K. So, we have scope and hope left